Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Sunday Soundtracks

HtownColt

@cmccollo: Chuck Pagano on ESPN's Sunday Soundtracks: "can we block anybody?"

"Make a play make a play" "Can we block anybody?" -Pagano

Surprised they caught him saying that on the sidelines to the coaches through his headset

Pagano knows things has to change, his tone in his past two presser he sounds like he is fed up with the blocking

Nah, McGlynn and Satele will be the starters for the remainder of the season barring injury. They're the root of the problem and as long as they are on the field, the blocking won't improve.

McGlynn is going/should be out at least this week(he didn't practice today), Hopefully Linkenbach plays to where the coaching staff has to keep him in

@cmccollo: Chuck Pagano on ESPN's Sunday Soundtracks: "can we block anybody?"

"Make a play make a play" "Can we block anybody?" -Pagano

Surprised they caught him saying that on the sidelines to the coaches through his headset

Pagano knows things has to change, his tone in his past two presser he sounds like he is fed up with the blocking

NFL Films has cameras and microphones everywhere.  I'm sure there's all kinds of audio and video that nobody has ever heard in their archives.

You guys gotta realize that Chuck Pagano is building his vision of the Ravens here in Indianapolis. And they had a dominating offensive line that let them run when they wanted to. We don't have that and it's no telling when we will at this point

Vision for the future means nothing if you dont have the pieces for it. Adjust your playbook for the talent you have, or youre going to dig yourself in to holes. The Colts simply dont have the road graters needed for this force it up the middle style run game.

Nah, McGlynn and Satele will be the starters for the remainder of the season barring injury. They're the root of the problem and as long as they are on the field, the blocking won't improve. 

I think we will see the Satele experiment come to an end this offseason. Lest we forget, Donald Thomas was playing well before he was lost to IR. He and Cherilus were big-time acquisitions in the offseason. I'm sure we target the O-Line and WR corps in free agency this offseason.

Vision for the future means nothing if you dont have the pieces for it. Adjust your playbook for the talent you have, or youre going to dig yourself in to holes. The Colts simply dont have the road graters needed for this force it up the middle style run game.

What offense do you suppose we run this late in the season? I hope you don't think we should go back to Bruce Arians way chucking it 40+ times a game

What offense do you suppose we run this late in the season? I hope you don't think we should go back to Bruce Arians way chucking it 40+ times a game

That would be equally awful. West coast with 3 step drops and running off tackle is ideal for limiting the damage of poor interior line play.

That would be equally awful. West coast with 3 step drops and running off tackle is ideal for limiting the damage of poor interior line play.

You have to seal the inside in order to run off tackle. If Trent Richardson goes right to run off Cherilus, McGlynn would be in the backfield obstructing him from getting to the outside

But I agree with the 3 step drop point

You have to seal the inside in order to run off tackle. If Trent Richardson goes right to run off Cherilus, McGlynn would be in the backfield obstructing him from getting to the outside

But I agree with the 3 step drop point

It would be Cherilus and McGlynn instead of Satele anf McGlynn making the hole. You have to like those odds better.

I think we take a page out of the Rams book, figure out who your best five linemen are and just get them on the field.  If that means someone who is a back up tackle needs to play guard then do it.  Clearly what they are doing isn't work so they might as well make a change and see if the stumble across something.  If they can't find a solution you can always go back to the mess that is the line now. 

I also think they need to look at the play calling and be honest with themselves about what they are vs. what they want to be.  I know they want to be a smashmouth pound the ball between the tackles run over people even when they know it's coming type of team but the reality is they just don't have the players to do that.  They might in the future but right now they don't.  Run more stretch plays, draws, or misdirection stuff too take advantage of the fact the other teams defense is coming so hard at our line right now.

Pass wise mix in more screen passes and quick passes to get the ball out of Luck's hands before the pass rush has a chance to get there. 

Find ways to get TY's hands on the ball.  He's our best player not named Luck left on offense.  Let him carry the large amount of the load.  As much as I don't like BB I think one of the keys to his success is he never gets stubborn and is always willing to try something different.  Too often I think coaches get stubborn with this is what we do and keep doing the samething over and over even when it's clear that's not working.  I am not saying we do something crazy like go the read option or Wildcat offense that we don't have the players for I am just talking different plays that are in the play book because we've seen them from time-to-time this season.  We just need to see more of them.

Honestly aside from not being able to run the ball I thought the first drive on Sunday was going pretty well till Luck fumbled.  Those are the plays we need quick hitters to TY before the defense can get to Luck and let TY make the plays. 

As for running the ball it would help if we didn't run in the most obvious situations out of the most obvious running formations.  When you have a subpar o-line running when the other team knows it's coming does your team no favors.  Heck I am all for trying some plays where you get T-rich and Brown in the backfield together just to show the defense something different fake the handoff to one and maybe pitch it the other or fake the pitch and do a delayed handoff.