Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Impressed by our D adjustments

ColtsFanMikeC

In some ways, I think that the way our schedule has played out has really benefited us....

In week 1, we really struggled vs. Pryor, but we are just the better team than OAK -- I was extremely impressed with how our defense adjusted and then came out and handled the mobile Kaepernick and Russell Wilson (Wilson played well, and SEA had some big plays, but I think we did very good handling that high-octane offense).  I think playing Pryor and OAK before SF and SEA really benefited us as we seemed to make major adjustments to stop/slow-down the big dogs.

While we lost to SD, I think the game was important for us as we learned a lot from facing a true pocket-passer and offense like SD before we played Peyton and the Donkeys (at least it seems so from comparing the two games).  Against SD, they exploited Mathis a lot with draw plays or plays to draw him up the field and leave a gap between the Tackle and Guard.   Against DEN, Mathis obviously had those 2 sacks, but he also looked waaaaaaaaaay better against the run... not once do I recall them exploiting Mathis by luring him up the field and then taking advantage of the hole left.

The secondary has been playing lights out almost all season whether Landry or Howell has been in (a few miscues here and there, but every team has them -- for the most part their play has been phenomenal).  There were a few plays vs. DEN where Landry really closed a gap to stop a run or short pass, that I am not sure if Howell would have made, so it was good to see him back for sure -- Landry also has a fire and tenacity that seems to be contagious.

However, there have been a few games/times when the front 7 has looked suspect (vs. SD and OAK for example) -- but I have been extremely impressed with how well we have corrected our mistakes between games and applied successful adjustments the next go-round.  While we have to credit the players, I think the fact that we have not lost back-to-back games in the Pagano/Luck era is largely a result of a great coaching staff that is able to adjust their game plans and get the players to buy into the system.

I think we are very lucky to have faced a mobile QB before Kaepernick and Wilson, and a pocket-passer before Peyton -- and maybe even more luckily is that we have all three of these games out of the way.

Going into the second half, obviously we need to take it week-by-week -- but it seems like we have gotten over the 'brunt' of our tough schedule.   5-2 at this point is excellent!

Our defense has been impressive at times and has the potential to be the best defense we've seen in Indy.  Props go to Grigson, Manusky, and Pagano for building the monster quicker than anyone would have guessed.

Love the way this secondary plays!

Mathis, Freeman, and Davis should be in the Probowl.  Mathis should be in the running for DPOY.  Great defense if we could shore up that run defense consistently!

Yep. Thankfully, our schedule gets a lot easier.

I would not say a lot easier. Easier yes, a little easier. Still many teams left though that will give us a fight and if we don't come out to play are plenty capable of knocking us off. AZ, KC, Tenn, Hou are just some examples. Things are still gonna be tough. I wouldn't underestimate anyone.

I would not say a lot easier. Easier yes, a little easier. Still many teams left though that will give us a fight and if we don't come out to play are plenty capable of knocking us off. AZ, KC, Tenn, Hou are just some examples. Things are still gonna be tough. I wouldn't underestimate anyone.

True. Not a lot easier. I doubt Hou will give us a fight. We'll see about KC when Week 15 rolls by.