Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we start the Mathis DPOY talk?

backshoulderfade

The man has 11.5 sacks though 7 games. He has 3 strip-sacks on the season. 31 total tackles. Without him we don't beat Denver, period.

I don't buy into the fact that he needs to be good in coverage to be an elite player in the league. We rarely have him drop into coverage. His job is to rush the qb. He is damn good at his job. At this point he must be DPOY.

I havent seen many outside of Colts websites talking about Mathis in such away.

Forgot to mention, he became all time leader in strip sacks! Deserves so much respect.

The talk of the league last year was Watt's ball batting ability but Mathis' ability to create turnovers from the sack is such a game changer.

Guest TeamLoloJones

He'll have to do a lot more to surplant Tamba Hali as the frontrunner.

I don't think so.  Hali has Houston on the other side playing just as good as him, Mathis doesn't have a partner in crime to help him.  Mathis has also played against 3 mobile qbs and the unsackable Peyton Manning.  Mathis has played against some beat up o-lines, but Robert absolutely is the frontrunner right now.

I don't think so. Hali has Houston on the other side playing just as good as him, Mathis doesn't have a partner in crime to help him. Mathis has also played against 3 mobile qbs and the unsackable Peyton Manning. Mathis has played against some beat up o-lines, but Robert absolutely is the frontrunner right now.

mobile qbs are historically easier to sack.

Hali has ~59 pressure this season. Mathis has ~38 and Hali is good against the run and in coverage.