Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy says Luck could be as talented as Manning

GoColts8818

Manning doesn't do himself any favors with his choppy steps, wobbly passes and average QB speed. It automatically makes you think he has no athletic ability at all. However, I liken him to a legendary pitcher who may have a gut and is 40 years old but he can still dominate a baseball game with his know how and ability to put the ball exactly where he wants to. This can not be over emphasized because it's obvious a lot of NFL QBs can't put the ball on the numbers where the receiver is supposed to be. Sometimes he puts it where the receivers is going to be even if it's not where he is supposed to be. I do think Luck will be there one day.

Peyton Manning is the Greg Maddox of football....genius on the mound and behind center...neither had what you would  call over powering stuff....both the most accurate throwers I've ever seen....and yet both had their post-season issues....both HOFers.

Peyton Manning is the Greg Maddox of football....genius on the mound and behind center...neither had what you would  call over powering stuff....both the most accurate throwers I've ever seen....and yet both had their post-season issues....both HOFers.

That's funny. Greg Maddux is my all time favorite pitcher...maybe even player and I am a Cards fan. good call.

I'm a big Manning fan but people here are drinking the Manning regular season kool aid again just like when he was here. When he wins a SB with Denver I will put him in the top 5 of all time. If he comes up short again it will be a huge hit to his overall legacy. Many still perceive him as a one and done playoff QB. When it's all said and done I still think Luck will be the better "clutch" QB.

Sure Manning is accurate and has a good arm, but I feel luck has just as good of an arm and has shown some elite level accuracy. On top of that, Luck can avoid sacks and use his feet just as well as Cam Newton. But what separates Manning from every other qb is his knowledge of the game. His pre-snap reads is seriously like watching someone orchestrate. No one in the nfl has ever been able to do that.

Luck definitely has the smarts to be able to make pre-snap reads, but he has a long way to reach Manning's status. Manning didn't need a great O-line because he told them each player that was blitzing. Luck isn't too great at reading where blitzes are coming from yet and I feel that's one of his weakest points thus far. But that comes over time with experience and I'm sure he'll progress nicely

The way I understand the rookie contracts they can only be for a certain amount (cap/union agreement) and when Peyton signed that wasn't the case.  So Peyton can't be blamed for that one my friend. :)  If the union agreement hadn't put that in place I'm sure Luck would have gotten more just like Peyton. ;)

I totally agree with u , thats one thing that gives us the ability to fill in the needed spots to help balance out the team where we dont get the draft pick we like or even if we do, the extra cash just helps   us pick and choose the proper free agent to fill a need position

This has worked to better the team this year especially on the defense at varying positions & OL  & from what i understand, or at least heard we will be plenty under the cap next year still  & if true once again be able to select from free agency

I never meant to imply anything was Peytons fault if that was what u thought I was saying, if anything I meant the Owner has selected a staff based on past things learned with peytons teams, esp OL & DL line size and defensive abilities in general that realizes a balance team that can win on both sides of the ball is best, if that makes sense

Dungy was answering a fan on twitter who asked:  Do you think Andrew Luck could end up being as talented as Peyton Manning?  and Dungy answered:  Yes I do.  He has everything you need!

I know several here have speculated that they think Luck could end up as good as Manning but I found it interesting that the guy who coached Manning for a big chunk of his career also thinks that.  With that said this seemed like a question about talent and one could argue if we are talking talent alone Luck is already more talented than Manning because he has an ability to run.  That is NOT a slam on Manning either. 

Dungy was answering a fan on twitter who asked:  Do you think Andrew Luck could end up being as talented as Peyton Manning?  and Dungy answered:  Yes I do.  He has everything you need!

I know several here have speculated that they think Luck could end up as good as Manning but I found it interesting that the guy who coached Manning for a big chunk of his career also thinks that.  With that said this seemed like a question about talent and one could argue if we are talking talent alone Luck is already more talented than Manning because he has an ability to run.  That is NOT a slam on Manning either. 

18 & 12 IMO coming into the league looked very similar although I can't recall 18 running the no huddle in college , The first year 12 looked better as a Colt .

18 is 1 of the best QB's of all time ,given time 12 will be as well  with a better team surrounding 12 I expect better results .

I'm a big Manning fan but people here are drinking the Manning regular season kool aid again just like when he was here. When he wins a SB with Denver I will put him in the top 5 of all time. If he comes up short again it will be a huge hit to his overall legacy. Many still perceive him as a one and done playoff QB. When it's all said and done I still think Luck will be the better "clutch" QB.

That's okay I like Kool Aid.        :thmup::rock::dance::monkeydance::headspin::banana: :36dancing: :yahoo::Wooo::funny:

I was one of them. If I remember correctly Irsay and Grigs both hinted that Caldwell was most likely going to stay HC. Then after the meeting with Caldwell he was out the door. I have always wondered what he did/did not say or do that got him canned.Sure would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting.

I'm guessing it was the same vacant or deer in headlights expression that he always had on the sidelines that was the straw that broke the camel's back in that meeting.

and when he wins a second SB....folks will, complain that he only won TWO..

Its too simple to judge a QB solely on post-season

The best ever isn't the guy whose team wins the most titles... As Michael Jordan ....