Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Draft Grades for Every Team

The 2013 NFL draft has come and gone, and now it's time to hand out grades for each team. A lot of teams did well, and a lot of teams screwed up.

Arizona Cardinals

I really like what the Cardinals did. They got themselves some inteior O-line help, a good defensive player and a potential star in the secondary, all in the first 3 rounds. I like how they reunited Mathieu and Peterson, it's a perfect match. What I also really like was the fact they got Taylor and Ellington in the later rounds as well as getting Okafor in the 4th, which is good value. They did a lot of good things, and they added some impact players. Very good draft!

Grade: A-

Atlanta Falcons

Nothing really wowed me about the Falcons' draft. They got Trufant in the first, which is very good and Alford in the 2nd is pretty solid as well. That helps their secondary, but they barely helped their pass rush. Goodman in the 3rd is ok, but they should have put more urgency on it. They should have gotten Werner in the 1st or someone in the 2nd. They got some good players, but they still have some holes.

Grade: B-

Baltimore Ravens

After losing a lot of players in free agency, the Ravens had a very good draft. I was a bit surprised with Matt Elam in the first, but it's a good pick that should help them out in all fascets of their defense. What I really liked is how they got Arthur Brown in the late 2nd, which is very good value and he's a great player. They also got Brandon Williams in the 3rd who has great potential. They also got great depth with the later picks. They now have very good depth throughout and added a couple of impact starters. Good draft!

Grade: B+

Buffalo Bills

The Bills made some good picks and some bad picks. I don't hate the Manuel pick, but I hate the fact they got him with the #16 pick. That's a guy that they could have gotten had they traded up with their 2nd round pick. They could have kept their #8 pick, while getting Manuel with their 2nd round pick. They then wasted their second 2nd round pick on Kiko Alonzo, who isn't really that good, and has been very inconsistent. The only moves I liked were Robert Woods at #41, Duke Williams in the 5th round and Gragg in the 7th. They still have lots of holes.

Grade: C+

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers were quiet, but quiet for me is a good thing. They went along, kept their picks and made some very good selection. Star Lotulelei at #14 is good value and helps out a big need. Kawann Short in the 2nd was a bit surprising because Star went to them in the first, but I had him in my mock draft, and it makes DT not a need anymore. They also got Kenjon Barner and AJ Klein in the later rounds, which is good value and gives them good depth and potential starters. Solid draft!

Chicago Bears

If there had to be one team that were the losers of the draft, it's the Chicago Bears. In the first round, they reached for a raw player that was going to go in the 2nd round. I'll give them the fact that O-lineman were being taken very quickly, but you don't reach for a 2nd rounded who's a boom or bust prospect. That was bad. Then in the 2nd round, they go and take Jon Bostic, who although has potential, is not a 2nd round player. The only thing I liked is that they got Khaseem Greene in the 3rd and Washington in the 6th. Everything else was horrid.

Grade: D+

Cincinnati Bengals

I'm still trying wrap my head around the Tyler Eifert selection in the first round. Eifert is good value there and the best TE in the class, but why do the Bengals want him? They have Gresham, who's good enough for now, and they just drafted Orson Charles last year. That was a bit surprising, but it gives Dalton another big target. Getting Gio Bernard in the 2nd round was solid. It's a slight reach, but his potential is very good. Margus Hunt in the late 2nd is also fantastic value and a good pick. The good picks continued with Sean Porter and Shawn Williams, two players that help their two biggest needs. They added a few more picks including Cobi Hamilton in the 6th, which is a good pick. I really like what they did with this draft, even though the Eifert pick was confusing.

Grade: A

Cleveland Browns

It's tough to give the Browns are very good grade, because they didn't have many picks, let alone high ones. I did like Mingo at #6. Many saw it as an ok pick. I really like it. Milliner would have been just as good a pick, but I like Mingo. He can become a pass rushing force on that team and it gives them plenty of options with Jabaal Sheard. Getting Leon McFadden in the 3rd was also a solid pick and he could start next year. Not bad considering the little amount of picks they had.

Dallas Cowboys

Everybody goes crazy about the big reach for Travis Frederick in the 1st round. It was pretty stupid, but let's not forget who they picked after. From Round 2 on, they had as good a draft as anybody. They got a very good tight end with tons of potential. He'll be very good behind Witten. They then got one of my favorite receivers in the draft in Terrence Williams, who can start for them next year. JJ Wilcox and BW Webb are two more very good picks that help out the secondary, and Joe Randle gives them a running back that could become a very good backup. They had a great draft, with the exception of their terrible pick in the 1st round.

Denver Broncos

Like the Panthers, the Broncos managed to stay quiet, but they made some deals later in the draft. They got a defensive tackle early on (Sylvester Williams), which is good and helps out their D-line. I absolutely love the Montee Ball pick and if you read my other article "NFL Draft Sleeper Picks" you know I love Montee Ball and think he's a sleeper. I also like the fact they got Tavarres King and Vinston Painter in the mid-rounds. It's very good value there. Solid draft.

Detroit Lions

The Lions made some great picks. I like Ansah at 5. It helps their biggest need, and he should be good player for several years to come. Getting Larry Warford at the top of the third is fantastic value and should help them right away. I do think Darius Slay was a reach, and I didn't like the fact that they didn't address their biggest need which was offensive tackle.

Grade: B

Green Bay Packers

The Packers weren't overly impressive early on, but as usual, it's what they do past Round 3 is what matters. They killed it in the early-mid rounds. They were able to get Eddie Lacy late in the 2nd, which is not bad. Bakhtiari is great value in the 4th, and Franklin in the 5th is just an absolute steal, one of the better ones in the draft. I love the selection of Micah Hyde as well. Add that to the Datone Jones pick in the 1st round, and you have a solid draft that helps a lot of needs.

Houston Texans

The Texans killed it. They are becoming one of the better drafting teams around. Picking Hopkins over Allen and Patterson surprised me a bit, but they still get a 1st round talent who will start at the #2 WR spot. They then got DJ Swearinger and Sam Montgomery (predicted in mock draft) in the next 2 rounds, which are great picks. Then, they got Trevardo Williams and David Quessenberry, both were selected when their value was high. Great draft from the Texans!

Indianapolis Colts

I thought the Colts did a solid job addressing their needs. They got talented guys and didn't have to reach for anyone. They were able to get Werner in the first which should help a lot down the line. Getting Thornton in the 3rd gives them a solid guard who can start. Holmes, Hughes, Boyett, Williams and Cunningham are all backup players, but it gives them good depth. They did a solid job this draft.

Jacksonville Jaguars

You know what? The Jaguars did a good job. They were able to get the best player in the draft in Luke Joeckel. He's a good right tackle this year and could play left tackle in the future. They then got Jon Cyprien in the early 2nd and that was a great pick. He'll be a very good safety there. Dwayne Gratz is a solid pick in the 3rd round and can become a good #2. Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson give them 2 athletes that can help Gabbert on offense. They helped out their CB spot with the last 2 picks. They found some playmakers, and they helped out their positions of need.

Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs had a mediocre draft. They got Eric Fisher first overall and although Joeckel is better, Fisher is almost as good and has more upside. He should be a pro bowler. They got Travis Kelce and Knile Davis in the 3rd round. Both were reaches and I don't think both are that great of players, especially Davis. Johnson and Commings are fine picks, but nothing special. Nothing special from them.

Grade: C+

Miami Dolphins

I like and don't like the move to trade up to get Jordan. Jordan is a fantastic talent, but with Wake, Vernon and Odrick on the team, it wasn't a must to get a defensive end. However, this means they could move Odrick inside and keep Vernon as a rotational guy. In the 2nd round, they got Jamar Taylor, who has good potential, especially as a nickel. Then they helped a need on their team which was tight end by getting Dion Sims. Gillisee is a solid pick in the 5th, and Sturgis is arguably the best kicker on the board.

Minnesota Vikings

Minnesota killed it this draft. They were perhaps the best team. They were able to get 3 playmaking rookies in the first round. They got Shariff Floyd, a top 10 talent at #23, which is a steal. Then they got Xavier Rhodes at #25, which again is great value and he should start right away. We thought they were done, but we were wrong. They were able to get Cordarrelle Patterson at #29, by trading up with the Patriots. That made it 3 immediate impact starters for the VIkings, which is huge considering it's only one draft. Then in the later rounds, they got Gerald Hodges and Jeff Baca, who have the ability to start in the future. This was a near perfect draft, but it deserves an A+.

Grade: A+

New England Patriots

As usual, the Patriots traded back, but you can't blame them. They got a great deal (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th rounder). They then took Collins, Dobson, Ryan and Harmon, all players with good potential and starter ability. Jamie Collins is my favorite of those four with Logan Ryan having the most potential. They then took some good guys for depth in the later rounds. It was a pretty good draft for the Patriots, as they added to an already talented team.

New Orleans Saints

I like Kenny Vaccaro, but I don't like the fact that they passed on Jarvis Jones to take Vaccaro. They could have really used a guy like Jones. Terron Armstead has good potential, but he's not ready for a left tackle role right away, and I don't know if even a right tackle role is good for him yet. He must show up in training camp. John Jenkins in the 3rd round is good value and should help out that run defense. Now he has to lose weight. My favorite pick was Kenny Stills in the 5th round, which is fantastic value. He'll be a very good player. Not bad draft.

New York Giants

I kind of like the selection of Justin Pugh. He's a bit of a reach, but he has great potential and is very smart. He can play anywhere on that O-line, which is great. They got Jonathan Hankins in the 2nd round, which is good value and could start right away. Then, they got fantastic value by taking the best player on the board at the time, Damontre Moore. That was a good pick. They got Ryan Nassib as a backup in the 4th round, which is where I expected him to go around. Cooper Taylor was a bit of a surprise, but he could be very good. They had a very good draft, and it's too bad no one is talking about it.

New York Jets

The Jets had a good draft. If we look at it from a value standpoint, the Jets were up there with the best teams in the draft. However, with a quarterback controversy, it didn't make too much sense in getting Geno Smith. He could be very good though and is good value. Getting Sheldon Richardson was a bit surprising, considering they have a good D-line. Milliner was a great pick at #9. I like Winters and Aboushi in the mid rounds too, both are solid guards. All in all, it was a pretty good job, but there were some questions in their moves.

Oakland Raiders

The Raiders actually had a good draft. They were going to take DJ Hayden #3 overall, but played it smart, traded down and got him at #12. That move really impressed me. They also got Manelik Watson in the 2nd round, which is a boom or bust pick, but he should be an ok option at right tackle. Sio Moore is a great player in the 3rd round and should help their pass rush. Tyler Wilson provides good depth at the QB spot and Nick Kasa gives them a starting tight end as their group is horrible. They did very well this draft and I like almost all of their picks.

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles had a solid draft. They were able to get some solid players that can help out right away. Lane Johnson gives them a right tackle, and it means they can move Herremans inside. Ertz gives them a good tight end next to Celek. Bennie Logan is a good fit in this 3-4 system. Matt Barkley was a bit of a surprise, but he could become a good backup and potential starter. Earl Wolff and Jordan Poyer are two very good late picks, especially Poyer. 

Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers added quality pieces in the draft. with Jarvis Jones being their best pick. I like Le'veon Bell in the 2nd round, as he has good potential. Wheaton and Thomas help out positions of need and they added some fine pieces later on. They got some guys that can play now, and some of their players have pro bowl potential. This was a good draft for the Steelers.

San Diego Chargers

It's tough to try and fill all of the holes the Chargers had, but they did a decent job of fixing them. I'm not in love with the Fluker pick, but it was decent. They now have a good right tackle for the future. I like Manti Te'o in the 2nd round. He's a good fit there, and I saw the Chargers as one of few teams that Te'o fits in. Keenan Allen was a fantastic pick in the 3rd round and it almost eliminate wide receiver as a need. He could start next year. Steve Williams in the 4th is a good pick too. They're not out of the woods yet, but they did a good job this draft.

San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers started out pretty rough, but they killed it after that. Literally every pick after Reid in the first round was literally perfect. Carradine at #40 was perfect and great value. Macdonald is a good replacement for Delanie Walker. Corey Lemonier gives the 49ers another good pass rusher. Quinton Patton is great value in the 4th round and gives them a possesion receiver. Marcus Lattimore, if healthy, is a first round player. Must give a shout out to BJ Daniels. Maybe my favorite player in the draft, and I'm happy he got drafted. This was a perfect draft even with Eric Reid in the first round.

Grade: A+

Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks didn't have many high picks, but they did relatively well with their midround picks. I don't think Christine Michael was a good pick in the 2nd round. Plus, I don't understand why go with a running back. They already have Lynch as the starter and Turbin as a very good backup. Wasn't a must to get at all. Not a big deal though. Jordan Hill was a good pick. Williams was a great steal in the 5th. If he's healthy, he's going to be very good. They added good depth and got potential starters.

St Louis Rams

The Rams destroyed the draft as well. They were better than the Vikings. Every single one of their picks was perfect and helped out a need while getting a top player on the board. Tavon Austin in the first round was perfect, and gives them a playmaker on offense. Getting Alec Ogletree at the end of the first was also perfect as it helps out their biggest need at outside linebacker. TJ Macdonald was one of my favorite safeties coming into the draft and he has great potential. He could start for them next year. Stedman Bailey gives them another good receiver option. Barrett Jones in the 4th is great value and could start for them. Zac Stacy and Brandon McGee are two great midround picks that can help the team right away. This was perfect and the Rams had the best draft.

Grade: A++

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs actually had a good draft. Johnthan Banks is pretty good value in the early part of the 2nd round, and Glennon is a good backup quarterback. Spence and Gholston should help out their D-line and add good depth now. The Bucs also got a good player in Mike James in the later rounds and could serve as their backup right away. Good draft.

Tennessee Titans

Titans were another team with a good draft. Getting Chance Warmack was absolutely perfect. Getting Justin Hunter in the 2nd round was a good pick too as he gives them a playmaker, something you cannot associate with Kenny Britt. Blidi Wreh Wilson is a good pick as well and gives them a good cornerback. Brian Schwenke and Lavar Edwards are good value where they were picked and gives them potential starters. I like what they did.

Washington Redskins

The Redskins were limited in the sense that they didn't have a lot of picks. I like Amerson as a late 2nd round pick, and could be a star on that team (or he could be a bust). Jordan Reed is ok in the 3rd round, but it shows they don't have much trust in Fred Davis. I love Phillip Thomas in the 4th round, it's a fantastic value pick and it fills a big need. One of the best picks in the draft. Brandon Jenkins and Baccari Rambo in the 5th and 6th (respetively) is good value and gives them potential starters. They had a good draft considering the number of picks they had.

Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Houston all had really good drafts.., We had a good one, but we really did a lot in FA as well.. the only other AFC South team to make splash in FA were the Titans....

Unfortunately for the other three teams in the division, RBs are not QBs... you can have the best RB in the league and win two games... Luck is going to be better than Shaub by a mile...

Neither Locker nor Gabbert will ever sniff a Lombardi...

Indy will win the South next season and every season after until another elite QB comes into the division.

I cant believe you gave the broncos an A-

Kayvon webster was a massive reach 

Montee Ball has a ton of mileage on him 

liked the syl williams pick for them that's about it

I do agree that Webster is a reach, but we've gone over this before, we have different views on Montee Ball. I also love Tavares King and Painter in the midrounds, great value. 

Nice job, Andy. I can say that as far as the Bills and Emanuel, not so sure he would have been avalable. Gil Brandt stated almost 3 weeks ago that we shouldn't be surprised to see him be the first QB taken.

BTW, sorry if people are seeing me with so many spelling errors. My computer has an issue and shows every word underlined in red and won't spell check. I am basically winging it.