Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Jets or Jaguars tank the season to get Manziel?

jshipp23

Teams do tank...They might not start the year with that mindset, but once they start 0-5 for example, the thought does turn to next year in many instances....It has happened many times, especially in the NFL...I think the Cavs did it to get LeBron as well, despite there being a lottery I firmly believe certain things are manipulated if the league sees fit to do it for 1 reason or the other...Some people are very naive to these things.

Told you this the other day and you should heed the advice.

When digging yourself a hole, stop digging.

Let it go. Bad idea with worse reasoning.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching First Take this morning, and lo and behold this topic was brought up??? Both Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were in agreement that Manziel was better than any QB in this years draft and more than likely will be the #1 pick next year and they get paid for their opinions...Keep reading and keep learning, school is in session...

Have to come back to this because I think it is a comical misrepresentation. I did not see the the episode because 1) I have a job and 2) I would not waste my time with those clowns. However them saying that Manziel is better than QB's in this year's draft and a possible # 1 pick next year (he won't be) is a long ways from suggesting that Jets and Jags tank their seasons for the chance to draft him.

Have to come back to this because I think it is a comical misrepresentation. I did not see the the episode because 1) I have a job and 2) I would not waste my time with those clowns. However them saying that Manziel is better than QB's in this year's draft and a possible # 1 pick next year (he won't be) is a long ways from suggesting that Jets and Jags tank their seasons for the chance to draft him.

haha..I may have went a little overboard, but he could be the #1 pick next year very easily if he plays as good as last year...The JETS sure look like they are in Tank mode to me, and if the Jags go with Gabbert than they are also, Some people have the Luxury of working when they want...I learned a long time ago it is better to work smart than hard...lmao Sorry you hate your life, should have made better choices.

haha..I may have went a little overboard, but he could be the #1 pick next year very easily if he plays as good as last year...The JETS sure look like they are in Tank mode to me, and if the Jags go with Gabbert than they are also, Some people have the Luxury of working when they want...I learned a long time ago it is better to work smart than hard... lmao Sorry you hate your life, should have made better choices.

Overboard? That is both a minor understatement and at the same time the clinical definition of your time on this board.

And by the way, my choices have been exemplary.

Its pretty obvious the Jets aren't too concerned with competing this year, and you always take a franchise QB if you don't have 1 over any other position...They were calling Suh the next Reggie White before Detroit drafted him, and that didn't exactly make their defense great..

Kansas City disagrees.  They didn't like the "franchise" QBs in this years draft so they traded for one because they didn't have one.  Also the Miami Dolphins disagree when they passed on Rodgers for a running back and when they took Jake Long number one overall.  I am not saying it worked out or will work out for these teams but they are proof teams don't ALWAYS take a franchise QB when they don't have one. 

Teams do tank...They might not start the year with that mindset, but once they start 0-5 for example, the thought does turn to next year in many instances....It has happened many times, especially in the NFL...I think the Cavs did it to get LeBron as well, despite there being a lottery I firmly believe certain things are manipulated if the league sees fit to do it for 1 reason or the other...Some people are very naive to these things.

Using a NBA team to support the idea that NFL teams do tank doesn't really help your case.  It's a different sport.  Things are very different and I think people would agree with you that there is pretty good proof that NBA teams do tank.  That's part of the reason the NBA has a draft lottery to try to help discourage that because if you do tank you could end up like the Celtics did one year with the most ping pong balls and still not get one of the top two picks.  Clearly the draft lottery doesn't always stop NBA teams but the fact they have one is in part because the NBA knows they have teams that will tank.

In the NFL you don't really see that.  The main reason being that the players on the field can be cut at any point in time.  So if they play bad they know odds are they will just be released.  No player is going to play poorly just so they can lose their job so the team can have a better draft pick.  Thanks to guarantied contracts in the NBA those players don't have to worry about that.  Also if you aren't going full speed in the NFL you tend to get hurt.  It's a much more violent game than the NBA thus if you let your guard down to tank it will end up costing you physically. 

It's not that people are naïve about this but there are several examples of how tanking just doesn't work in the NFL.  If you disagree so be it but as you call people naïve they would probably just counter by saying you are a conspiracy theorist.  That's why it's best just not to try to dismiss someone else's opinion by saying it's naïve or conspiracy.  It just does very little to prove your point and can easily be turned against with more name calling and then it becomes personal and gets ugly. 

I would agree with you that players do give up from time-to-time during the season.  I would even say that happened to the 2011 Colts at times.  They get that mind set of oh here we go again... when something bad happens.  It's very hard not to get that when you go threw a season like that.  I would disagree with you 100% that they sat down and said okay guys we are going to go out there and lose on purpose so we can get Andrew Luck.  Too many people lost their jobs from that team to buy that argument and again beating the Texans makes NO sense if the Colts took that attitude.  I don't know maybe you are trying to say that teams just beaten down during the season and fall into that here we go again trap when they have a bad season.  That I can agree with because that happens every year.  That's why when you play a bad team you want to punch them in the mouth early to get them thinking that way because if you let them hang around they quickly get the attitude of hey we can win this!