Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Dumervil Saga: Released! (merge) (confirmed)

Dustin

Even England cant believe this Happened

UK  Daily Online

Time to buy a scanner? NFL player loses $30M contract because slow fax machine means he misses signing deadline

relied on a slow-moving fax machine that failed to send his contract on time.

Magid had 35 minutes to get the paperwork to the team headquarters when he and his agent made a decision that will plague both of their careers - they opted for the fax machine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294660/Elvis-Dumervil-NFL-player-loses-30M-contract-agents-fax-machine-slow-misses-signing-deadline.html

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis Dumervil might get big contract after fax flap ( to stay a bronco )

Elvis Dumervil reportedly has drawn interest from the New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, Detroit Lions, Tennessee Titans and Pittsburgh Steelers

but USA Today reported on Sunday the free agent's priority was to find a resolution allowing him to stay with the Denver Broncos.

Now that Dumervil has a new agent in Tom Condon, however, the Denver Post has information to the contrary. The Post, citing sources close to the situation, reported on Monday that the wounds from Friday's fax fiasco "remain a bit raw," meaning if another contender offers Dumervil a similar contract, the Post believes the tie no longer would go to the Broncos.

Because Dumervil's release resulted in $4.9 million in dead money, the Broncos have plenty of cash to offer but precious little salary-cap space.

If the Broncos bring him back into the fold, it likely will be via a cash-heavy signing bonus that satisfies Dumervil while spreading out the cap hit over several years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151528/article/elvis-dumervil-might-get-big-contract-after-fax-flap

In his first act as agent for Elvis Dumervil, Tom Condon approached the NFL office with Broncos football operations boss John Elway at his side.

Condon and Elway asked the league office to recognize the agreement on a revised three-year, $30 million deal negotiated, and verbally approved, by the Broncos and Dumervil on Friday.

The Broncos already had made a plea to the league office Friday and were denied. Even Condon's influence couldn't sway the league as the Broncos and Dumervil were rebuffed again.

It was worth a try, but a long shot as the league likely would become inundated with hundreds of contract-bending agreements if it made an exception for the Broncos and Dumervil .

"All contracts are reviewed by our office," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said at his owners meetings news conference Monday. "If there is something significant they'll bring it to my attention, but those are done as a matter of course."

Would he care to share his personal reaction to the foul up?

"No," Goodell said.

Then again, the Broncos also no longer have the wherewithal to make the same offer. Elway and Condon have continued to talk, but the $4.9 million dead money hit the Broncos received against their $123 million payroll cap is a snag in negotiations.

The Baltimore Ravens are also negotiating with Dumervil, according to an NFL source. Dumervil received a strong recommendation of skill and personal character from Ravens linebacker coach Don "Wink" Martindale.

Dumervil registered his career-best and NFL-leading 17 sacks in 2009 while Martindale was his(( Bronco )  linebackers coach.

If the Broncos are unable to get a new deal done with Dumervil, they are expected to pursue pass-rushing defensive end John Abraham, who turns 35 in May.

Dwight Freeney, 33, and Osi Umenyiora, 31, are next on the team's list. So far all three of those pass rushers are seeking better contracts than the current market will bear.

Read more:NFL turns down Broncos' appeal for Elvis Dumervil; Ravens now want him - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22817281/nfl-turns-down-broncos-appeal-elvis-dumervil-ravens#ixzz2NvkUjCbD

LATEST NEWS
The Denver Post reports the Ravens are "negotiating" with free agent Elvis Dumervil.
It's unclear if any deal is imminent, but Baltimore's interest is genuine. Dumervil reportedly received a "strong recommendation" from Ravens assistant Wink Martindale, who was Dumervil's position coach when he led the league with 17 sacks in 2009. Dumervil would be a 3-4 outside linebacker in Baltimore. Mar 18 - 5:16 PM

I was lurking the Denver forums for news, and some said Dumervil didn't really enjoy being a 3-4LB.

Instead of firing his agent maybe he should he thanking him...

LATEST NEWS
The Denver Post reports the Ravens are "negotiating" with free agent Elvis Dumervil.
It's unclear if any deal is imminent, but Baltimore's interest is genuine. Dumervil reportedly received a "strong recommendation" from Ravens assistant Wink Martindale, who was Dumervil's position coach when he led the league with 17 sacks in 2009. Dumervil would be a 3-4 outside linebacker in Baltimore. Mar 18 - 5:16 PM

I was lurking the Denver forums for news, and some said Dumervil didn't really enjoy being a 3-4LB.

Hey Doom, dont let the door hit ya in the rear on your way out. Greedy punk. This was all a ploy to get more ca$h.

If it was all about a championship and staying with Denver, a deal would have been done. Instead, he got money greedy and is all about the $$$. A player like that can pack sand and play elsewhere. Giving a team the run around is pathetic.

Adios Doom hello Freeney.

Yea, costing the guy 2 possibly 3 million dollars is a great agent.

No matter where Doom goes he isn't getting $8M this season. $5/6M maybe.

Key word "possibly." If he was in real danger of losing 3 mil his agent would be trying to resolve things with the Broncs. The Ravens are desperate right now so I would expect a deal close to the 8M. Remember he is under 30 so that 5/6 mil does not really apply to him. He is in his prime unlike Abraham, Freeney, and Osi.

Hey Doom, dont let the door hit ya in the rear on your way out. Greedy punk. This was all a ploy to get more ca$h.

If it was all about a championship and staying with Denver, a deal would have been done. Instead, he got money greedy and is all about the $$$. A player like that can pack sand and play elsewhere. Giving a team the run around is pathetic.

Lol. Denver asks him to take a massive pay cut and he is the wrong? Typical homerism. Obviousy Elway misjudged the market for him big time.

Lol. Denver asks him to take a massive pay cut and he is the wrong? Typical homerism. Obviousy Elway misjudged the market for him big time.

Excuse me.. watch your name calling. You tick alot of people off with your rhetoric and your crossing the line.

Here.. i'll be the adult..

Doom got greedy. End of story. Tell me, if he is not the best defensive player on the team, why is getting paid like he is?

Von has him beat and as far as i'm concerned, Ayers has him beat as well. His production didnt equal his pay. Elway saw it, noted it, want to task, Doom lost.

Hope he goes to the Raiders. I'll lmao

Excuse me.. watch your name calling. You tick alot of people off with your rhetoric and your crossing the line.

Here.. i'll be the adult..

Doom got greedy. End of story. Tell me, if he is not the best defensive player on the team, why is getting paid like he is?

Von has him beat and as far as i'm concerned, Ayers has him beat as well. His production didnt equal his pay. Elway saw it, noted it, want to task, Doom lost.

Hope he goes to the Raiders. I'll lmao

Is being called a homer a bad thing? I get called it all the time and up here often. Sorry if I did offend you.

I am not sure how you can call Doom greedy when he signed the contract and Elway is asking him to take a pay cut. I may be wrong about this but aren't Doom's numbers better than Millers?

Is being called a homer a bad thing? I get called it all the time and up here often. Sorry if I did offend you.

I am not sure how you can call Doom greedy when he signed the contract and Elway is asking him to take a pay cut. I may be wrong about this but aren't Doom's numbers better than Millers?

Von is best D player & his #'s are much better and Doom isnt great in run support either, but is paid less as still on Rookie contract

,I Dont agree that  Doom is greedy, accepted the contract , yes a pay cut but a cut to meet market values and still already made plenty and got later gurantees so wasnt as much oof a cut as seemed

, the agent blew it, he is still trying to work things out if possible just that the dead cap space created is hurting 

Elway didnt misjudge market, Doom's agent  tested it, & realized his type of pay wasnt there in FA & saw what others were getting and saw some unsigned

However Denver is cap poor, But Cash rich   (( SEE LINK BELOW )), bite the bullet , pay him less so its less of a cap hit and give bigger bonus so he too doesnt lose to much , compromise a bit pending how much u want him aand how much u dont want him going to a compertitor , esp as its afc teams after him, try & work that out, if not , his old Denver LB coach has the Ravens ear as is now Ravens LB coach and pushing hard for him (( http://NFL turns down Broncos' appeal for Elvis Dumervil; Ravens now want him - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz2NvkUjCbD    ))

However Denver is cap poor, But Cash rich

There is a contrary problem with the Broncos' books only $8.3 million in cap space after taking a combined $7 million dead money reduction following the releases of Dumervil and linebacker D.J. Williams, but seemingly plenty of cash.

The seven players signed by the Broncos through free agency last week received a whopping 62 percent of their 2013 combined payouts ($26.1 million) in signing bonuses ($16.1 million).

Cash might be the avenue in which Dumervil can return to Denver. Cash and some love.

At this point, a tie with another playoff contender in the pursuit of Dumervil probably wouldn't go to the Broncos. The wounds from the entire pay-cut process remain a bit raw with Dumervil, according to sources close to the situation.

Read more:Broncos deal for Dumervil isn't dead — if cash can heal old wounds - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22813155/deal-dumervil-isnt-dead-mdash-if-cash-can#ixzz2O0Ho2SWR

LATEST NEWS

My comment # 123 just before yours said all that & that recommendation was for  skill and personal character

Repeat part of it

The Baltimore Ravens are also negotiating with Dumervil, according to an NFL source. Dumervil received a strong recommendation of skill and personal character from Ravens linebacker coach Don "Wink"Martindale.

Dumervil registered his career-best and NFL-leading 17 sacks in 2009 while Martindale was his(( Bronco )  linebackers coach.

here is working link on the Ravens LB Coach , Dooms past coach at Broncos giving the recommendation , the 1 in Comment 132 doesnt work where I inserted it, read my comment # 123

Have a good day, must attend to other issues now

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22817281/nfl-turns-down-broncos-appeal-elvis-dumervil-ravens#ixzz2NvkUjCbD

Yea, costing the guy 2 possibly 3 million dollars is a great agent.

No matter where Doom goes he isn't getting $8M this season. $5/6M maybe.

TUESDAY

Elvis Dumervil remains "in the mix" for Broncos, says coach John Fox

The Pro Bowl defensive end was just one of many topics Fox covered in a 57-minute morning sit-down Tuesday at the NFL owners' meetings.

"He's definitely in the mix. He's a player I know I've enjoyed coaching, he's done good things for our staff, defensively, our football team. He's definitely a guy who is in the mix for us, will be in the mix, should be in the mix. And we'll see where that takes us."

The Ravens are among the suitors for Dumervil, along with the Broncos, in a market where most of the big-money contracts have already been handed out.

Read more:Elvis Dumervil remains "in the mix" for Broncos, says coach John Fox - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22823663/elvis-dumervil-remains-mix-broncos-says-coach-john#ixzz2O0YkR2ss

NEGOTIATIONS CONTINUE

Elvis Dumervil, Broncos negotiating; Ravens remain in picture

also 

Another possible conflict is Dumervil's new agent, Tom Condon, also represents Dwight Freeney, who is included in the Broncos' backup plans. John Abraham is another possibility if the Broncos can't work out a deal with Dumervil.

Read more:Elvis Dumervil, Broncos negotiating; Ravens remain in picture - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22823936/elvis-dumervil-broncos-negotiating-ravens-remain-picture#ixzz2O1J5XL27

FaxGate Day 5: Broncos make offer to Dumervil

Of course we don't know the exact details of that offer, but it is floating around that the deal is close to the one offered originally, and that the dead money isn't as big an issue as it has been made out to be:

What is also clear, the Broncos don't expect an imminent decision by Elvis, and expect him to see what else is out there:

So there you have it, Broncos have made an offer and the ball is in Dumervil's court. The talk is that the Ravens are still interested so we will play the waiting game until the situation comes to a conclusion. BTW---Broncos aren't interested in trading for Darrelle Revis (YES!!!)

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/19/4124296/faxgate-day-5-broncos-make-offer-to-dumervil

What ploy?

I was all in favor of him taking a pay cut because it benefits ME, but it's ridiculous to suggest that he has some moral obligation to do so. He had a contract and the team decided not to honor it. In anyplace other than the NFL that's not only immoral, it's illegal. Dumervil has done absolutely nothing wrong - other than change his mind at the last minute.

I never understand why fans take it personally when players attempt to earn as much money as possible. It's a JOB! They aren't soldiers sacrificing themselves for the glory of Denver - he's some guy from Florida who went to school in Kentucky, and happens to have been drafted by Denver. He was born with a gift and he's trying to use it to set himself up for life, because when the gift is gone his quality of life is going to go with it. More power to him. I'd be willing to bet that you - and everybody else on this site - would do exactly the same thing in his position.

And if you think that Elway or the owner have any personal interest in the fans other than the normal "keep the customers happy" business interest you have another think coming. You're furious at the guy losing money presumably because you have judged him to have "enough", but you have no criticism of the far wealthier men taking it from him. All the parties are battling to make money and to make themselves feel good - there is no honorable quest or higher purpose.

What ploy?

I was all in favor of him taking a pay cut because it benefits ME, but it's ridiculous to suggest that he has some moral obligation to do so. He had a contract and the team decided not to honor it. In anyplace other than the NFL that's not only immoral, it's illegal. Dumervil has done absolutely nothing wrong - other than change his mind at the last minute.

I never understand why fans take it personally when players attempt to earn as much money as possible. It's a JOB! They aren't soldiers sacrificing themselves for the glory of Denver - he's some guy from Florida who went to school in Kentucky, and happens to have been drafted by Denver. He was born with a gift and he's trying to use it to set himself up for life, because when the gift is gone his quality of life is going to go with it. More power to him. I'd be willing to bet that you - and everybody else on this site - would do exactly the same thing in his position.

And if you think that Elway or the owner have any personal interest in the fans other than the normal "keep the customers happy" business interest you have another think coming. You're furious at the guy losing money presumably because you have judged him to have "enough", but you have no criticism of the far wealthier men taking it from him. All the parties are battling to make money and to make themselves feel good - there is no honorable quest or higher purpose.

Fantastic post man. One of the best I have ever read here. Can you do me a favor? Take this and paste it on all forums that discuss the Welker deal and just sub in Dooms name for Welker. I never fault a guy for wanting his money or an org for not signing or cutting a player to better manage the cap to win a SB. It takes two sides to make a deal, not one.

What ploy?

I wonder about this too.....  Was there a "clause" in there that allowed  it to be broken, or not honored...???   What good are contracts if not honored?

I wonder about this too.....  Was there a "clause" in there that allowed  it to be broken, or not honored...???   What good are contracts if not honored?

This is what separates the NFL from every other sport. The contracts are not guaranteed which allows clubs to terminate at any point. It really stinks but because of the injury factor, the PA will never be able to change this. So you can understand why Doom was/is upset.

Money & Contracts be darned,it comes down to whats best for the team  for as u say , the better the team "keep ( s )  the customers happy"  , and may I add keeps executes & staff  their jobs as stands fill up, jersey's sell,    Owner happy and Revenue comes in 

What ploy?

Fantastic post man. One of the best I have ever read here. Can you do me a favor? Take this and paste it on all forums that discuss the Welker deal and just sub in Dooms name for Welker. I never fault a guy for wanting his money or an org for not signing or cutting a player to better manage the cap to win a SB. It takes two sides to make a deal, not one.

What ploy?

I wont believe for one minute Doom and his agent werent waiting the Broncos out thinking 'na, they wont release me'.

Tell me this.. when Denver told Doom and his agent to text a picture of the signed contract so Denver wouldnt have to release him because of the 'fax' issues and they didnt.. why didnt they? It was simple, yet.. the pic never came.

These are the little things either people dont know about or forgot about. Doom had multiple chances, yet.. here we are.

Doom is or was not the best player on the defense, yet was being paid as such. Von and heck, even Ayers have played above Doom. Von is still on. Rookie contract. Dooms play did not equal what he put out. Denver said, take a pay cut or be released.. he had multiple opportunities to take it, send a pic of the signed contract, ect.. nothing.

So blame lies on Doom and his Agent. As far as I see it and many others feel the same, it was a ploy to make more $$ and the gamble didnt pay, Denver released him, still offered him another contract after the fiasco, yet.. Doom is still a FA.

Tell me where it wasnt a ploy. Look at the evidence. Its stacked against Doom and his Agent.

I wont believe for one minute Doom and his agent werent waiting the Broncos out thinking 'na, they wont release me'.

Tell me this.. when Denver told Doom and his agent to text a picture of the signed contract so Denver wouldnt have to release him because of the 'fax' issues and they didnt.. why didnt they? It was simple, yet.. the pic never came.

These are the little things either people dont know about or forgot about. Doom had multiple chances, yet.. here we are.

Doom is or was not the best player on the defense, yet was being paid as such. Von and heck, even Ayers have played above Doom. Von is still on. Rookie contract. Dooms play did not equal what he put out. Denver said, take a pay cut or be released.. he had multiple opportunities to take it, send a pic of the signed contract, ect.. nothing.

So blame lies on Doom and his Agent. As far as I see it and many others feel the same, it was a ploy to make more $$ and the gamble didnt pay, Denver released him, still offered him another contract after the fiasco, yet.. Doom is still a FA.

Tell me where it wasnt a ploy. Look at the evidence. Its stacked against Doom and his Agent.

First of all, I'd love to see where you got this "text a picture of the signed contract" business, because I'm curious and I've been following the story - but it changes nothing.

You are acting as if someone lied to you. You see something unethical. You see deceit. You see a "ploy". I see a contract negotiation that was disrupted by human error. I don't need to find someone to be angry with, I'm just disappointed. Common sense suggests that his agent suggested waiting until the last minute to see if Denver was bluffing (an utterly routine and accepted part of any negotiation) but failed to pull off the last minute turnaround. It likely cost Dumervil millions - which is why the agent was fired and the PA is contemplating an action to protect his interests.

Do you think that Dumervil benefited from this is some way? Do you think that there is something inherently wrong with them waiting until the last minute? Who cares - they had every right. If you are suggesting "he didn't really intend to accept the deal", I ask why? All he had to do was nothing. The way that this played out was ridiculous and EVERYONE involved lost out on the deal.

I know that his contract was out of line at this point - thus the request to accept a pay cut - which as I already explained to you I was in favor of. It was given to him by a different administration while playing a different defense under a different cba with a different salary cap, and more favorable climate for rushers. Times change, but that doesn't mean that Denver's request was fair or that Dumervil should have been eager to accept it. Ayers never played "above him" - Dumvervil plays a significant % of the snaps. And Miller's situation is irrelevant. Once upon a time Dumervil was the one being underpaid on a rookie contract, and one day soon Miller will be the one drawing the massive salary. NFL players income and performance rarely match up, and the players need to "get it while they can". It's just a fact of life, not a character flaw.

I also find it ridiculous these players make big $$ while our military and teaches make minimal $$ yet we instill our livelihood and children with them. But thats on the next Dr. Phil..

Who is "we"? I have no problems with entertainers of any ilk becoming filthy rich because the entertainment that they provide is a significant factor in my quality of life. It's supply and demand. Their talent is rare - life would largely :cuss: without them - and so they command rare compensation.  That doesn't mean that entertainers are role models or that they should be idolized, and any parent who suggests as much is simply a :censored: .

Similarly why do salesman routinely earn vastly more money than the people building the products the salesman are selling? Salary structures are functions of economics, not ethics, and economics isn't inherently "fair", just rational. For instance note that virtually all teachers and soldiers are public employees, and that the ease of entry into those fields contributes to the salary structure. Show of hands - anyone volunteering to see their taxes climb exponentially so that teachers and solders can have a better quality of life than you do?

Money & Contracts be darned,it comes down to whats best for the team  for as u say , the better the team "keep ( s )  the customers happy"  , and may I add keeps executes & staff  their jobs as stands fill up, jersey's sell,    Owner happy and Revenue comes in 

Yup, and the value of the franchise escalates to the point that the owner can sell out and buy a small island when he retires.

Some people also miss out on the fact that leagues are to certain extent like men's clubs. The fans see 32 cities and hundreds of players competing for their benefit, the owners see 31 other wealthy men all battling for bragging rights. It makes me think of the movie "Trading Places". The owners usually already have more money than they know what to do with when they buy the franchises, and their priorities aren't necessarily those of a normal businessman's. It's a game within a game.

Well, since it feels a bit odd being on the same page with you, I'll point out that you didn't seem all that enthusiastic about a "guy wanting his money" when you were yanking our chains about Peyton's contract become guaranteed. :P

Seriously, yes the same theme applies to all free agent conversations - Welker's in particular due to the recriminations about his not sacrificing personally in order to help the Patriots. The players fought long and hard in all sports for the right to be free agents in the first place. They are simply trying to make a living, and they owe fans nothing more than to put forth their best effort once those contracts are finally signed.

Who is "we"? I have no problems with entertainers of any ilk becoming filthy rich because the entertainment that they provide is a significant factor in my quality of life. It's supply and demand. Their talent is rare - life would largely :cuss: without them - and so they command rare compensation. That doesn't mean that entertainers are role models or that they should be idolized, and any parent who suggests as much is simply a :censored: .

Similarly why do salesman routinely earn vastly more money than the people building the products the salesman are selling? Salary structures are functions of economics, not ethics, and economics isn't inherently "fair", just rational. For instance note that virtually all teachers and soldiers are public employees, and that the ease of entry into those fields contributes to the salary structure. Show of hands - anyone volunteering to see their taxes climb exponentially so that teachers and solders can have a better quality of life than you do?

Who pee'd in your Cheerios Mac? What? Your not an American? Thats who 'we' is.. and your welcome for help creating a place you can sleep well at night, wither you say thank you or not.

So your saying our under paid soldiers and teachers dont deserve a pay raise? Yet pointless money is being spent as hand outs to those who could work and dont. I would welcome a tax increase if it went where is was suppose to. It wont though.. so dont pee on me and call it rain.

As for Doom, I am sorry MY ethics are used to judge someone's actions. Thats me. So

Attempting to argue against and an opinion based on ethics in the work place, which was stated the NFL is like a job, is invalid. Ethics do hold a place and I feel he violated the ethics. I dont like it, you wont change my mind, who why do you insist ethics has no place?

If they didnt have a place, the world would be a bigger mess than it is. I run my life on ethics, and I choose to judge based on them and violations of them. I feel he was unethical, so what.

Who pee'd in your Cheerios Mac? What? Your not an American? Thats who 'we' is.. and your welcome for help creating a place you can sleep well at night, wither you say thank you or not.

So your saying our under paid soldiers and teachers dont deserve a pay raise? Yet pointless money is being spent as hand outs to those who could work and dont. I would welcome a tax increase if it went where is was suppose to. It wont though.. so dont pee on me and call it rain.

As for Doom, I am sorry MY ethics are used to judge someone's actions. Thats me. So

Attempting to argue against and an opinion based on ethics in the work place, which was stated the NFL is like a job, is invalid. Ethics do hold a place and I feel he violated the ethics. I dont like it, you wont change my mind, who why do you insist ethics has no place?

If they didnt have a place, the world would be a bigger mess than it is. I run my life on ethics, and I choose to judge based on them and violations of them. I feel he was unethical, so what.

This has absolutely nothing to do with patriotism or America, and I unfortunately pushed it a little too close to politics - so I'm going to ignore some of your comments or this thread will get shut. Suffice it to say that you miss-understood my post and my position on several levels.

The "we" in your post that I responded to was here:  "I also find it ridiculous these players make big $$ while our military and teaches make minimal $$ yet we instill our livelihood and children with them."

I replied "who is we", meaning "Don't include ME in that, I sure as heck don't suggest to children that entertainers are more important that soldiers or teachers. It doesn't sound like you do either, so what exactly are you taking exception to? The rest of my post was simply a reality check about economics. It's one thing to say that there are more important professions in life than entertainment, it is another to suggest that the income disparity between those fields reflects a societal failing rather than simply economics at work. What you said is repeated often and sounds good in theory, and  I was just taking the opportunity to suggest that it's an emotional argument that holds no water. It's actually comparing apples and oranges. There are MILLIONS of teachers in this country at any one time, all of them seeking tenured positions involving decades of job security.There are less than 2,000 professional football players at any one time, none of them with any hope of any job security what-so-ever. When they are negotiating a contract they need to strike while the iron is hot, because they may never get the opportunity again. I never said that ethics has no place, I said that by the dictionary definition there isn't anything that's remotely unethical about what Dumervil did, and frankly I can't grasp what's so unusual about "your ethics" that leads you to think differently. This is particularly confusing when you factor in the Bronco's refusing to honor a legally binding contract that they had willfully entered into. THAT'S unethical, but it doesn't seem to bother you in the slightest.

I also find it ridiculous these players make big $$ while our military and teaches make minimal $$ yet we instill our livelihood and children with them. But thats on the next Dr. Phil..

Who is "we"? I have no problems with entertainers of any ilk becoming filthy rich because the entertainment that they provide is a significant factor in my quality of life.   That doesn't mean that entertainers are role models or that they should be idolized, and any parent who suggests as much is simply a :censored: .

I replied "who is we", meaning "Don't include ME in that, I sure as heck don't suggest to children that entertainers are more important that soldiers or teachers. It doesn't sound like you do either, so what exactly are you taking exception to?

I'm going to guess that you meant "we instill our livelihood and children with" the values of teachers. I read it as "we instill our livelihood and children with" the values of players. I wouldn't have used the "who is we" line - which seems to have unfortunately upset you - if I got that. Sorry.

Mens Club, u mean Roman Senate & the Gladiators they send out for the peons enjoyment to keep them happy & solidify their rule, and at contract time its thumbs up or down, just in this case  , the gladiators fight hard but at least live better than  us peons 

Yup, and the value of the franchise escalates to the point that the owner can sell out and buy a small island when he retires.

Some people also miss out on the fact that leagues are to certain extent like men's clubs. The fans see 32 cities and hundreds of players competing for their benefit, the owners see 31 other wealthy men all battling for bragging rights. It makes me think of the movie "Trading Places". The owners usually already have more money than they know what to do with when they buy the franchises, and their priorities aren't necessarily those of a normal businessman's. It's a game within a game.

The Miami Dolphins have "jumped into" the Dumervil sweepstakes, according to The Denver Post's Mike Klis.

It should be noted that there is no report of a third offer for Dumervil to consider. The Post previously reported that theDolphins and Tennessee Titans have been in touch with Dumervil's agent. Klis acknowledges that the extent of Miami's interest is "unclear" at this juncture.

Don't expect the Broncos to up the ante as new teams enter the picture for Dumervil. They have veterans Dwight Freeney and John Abraham on speed dial as more cost-effective alternatives.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152962/article/elvis-dumervil-reportedly-has-miami-dolphins-interest