Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Focus: Greg Jennings

For the next several days leading up to the start of free agency, I will be breaking down the potential free agents for the Colts. This entry is about Greg Jennings, the unrestricted free agent wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers.

Overview: Greg Jennings has spent his whole career with the Green Bay Packers, but many are expecting that to come to an end due to the emergence of Randall Cobb and James Jones. Jennings has averaged over 1200 yards (per season (some seasons being approximated)) during his 7 years in Green Bay, with on average 10 touchdowns per season. He has been Brett Favre's go to guy, and was Aaron Rodger's go to guy for a long time. He's a reliable target that the best have trusted. He's asking for a lot of money.

Strengths: Jennings is a great all around receiver with great hands, speed and jumping ability. He can be dangerous all over the field. He runs extremely good routes and serves as a perfect compliment to any top receiver, and could be the top receiver on most teams. Jennings is an athletic beast with great football skills and IQ.  He's easily a 1000 yard receiver if healthy. 

Weaknesses: Jennings has missed 11 games in the last two seasons, so injuries are a bit of a concern. When he was healthy this season, he was barely even looked at by Rodgers and was easily replaced by Randall Cobb and James Jones. Could he be declining? There are a lot of questions surrounding Jennings. Jennings is also asking for a lot of money, money that he does not necessarily deserve.

How he fits into the Colts' System: The Colts are most likely switching (not completely) to a West Coast offense under Pep Hamilton. Greg Jennings is a west coast offense guy and thrives in that offense. He would be a perfect fit for this offense as he knows the system very well. 

Final Thoughts: If the price is right, Jennings could be a perfect match on the Colts. Imagine him and Reggie Wayne on the field all the time. That would be a dream for Luck. If Jennings does get injured, there is TY Hilton right there to replace him and Brazill or someone else to replace TY's slot spot. He fits very well, and could really expand this passing game. I wouldn't give him double digits, per year wise, but I'd give him a good amount. 

Grade (Out of 100): 89 (Top 15 Wide Receiver)

What I'd Offer Him: 2 years, $15 million

If Jennings would play here for 2 years, 15 million, I'd take it.

The biggest problem with that though is that his contract would then end the same time Reggie's contract would end.  Leaving us that year to find a #1 and a #2 wide receiver in the same year.

If Jennings would play here for 2 years, 15 million, I'd take it.

The biggest problem with that though is that his contract would then end the same time Reggie's contract would end.  Leaving us that year to find a #1 and a #2 wide receiver in the same year.

Unless Hilton, Brazill, or another young WR develops into a starter.  I think we have the young talent to pull this off.

Jennings won't be a Colt either, honestly, I don't why these threads keep popping up.

I didn't say he was going to be a Colt. I was just saying he'd be a good fit and worth looking at at the right price. 

I didn't say he was going to be a Colt. I was just saying he'd be a good fit and worth looking at at the right price. 

He's not asking for the right price though...and yes, I know asking price and getting price are 2 different things, but he's asking for 12 mil per season at least. He's not backing that far down from that and he simply isn't worth no where in the neighborhood of 12 mil. per. We aren't signing a high dollar WR. It won't happen. A WR for 5 mil or less per season...maybe, anything over...no way.

I like Jennings. He reminds me of Reggie himself. 2 years 15 million is a low ball offer for what he's capable of producing. Dude is only 29 so he isn't a dinosaur. 12 million per year is laughable for any reciever outside of the obvious big names but 4 years 35 million with the 4th year not guaranteed and we can talk.

This would be SO AWESOME alll of our recievers suck doo doo. Reggies a grandpa in law. T.y is like  baby naboi. Reciver is our #2 need under QB. IMO We should let geno smith fall into our laps. Our iteror o-lines is way better and has much more depth than anything else IMO. God first god Bless Y'all.

This would be SO AWESOME alll of our recievers suck doo doo. Reggies a grandpa in law. T.y is like  baby naboi. Reciver is our #2 need under QB. IMO We should let geno smith fall into our laps. Our iteror o-lines is way better and has much more depth than anything else IMO. God first god Bless Y'all.

are you joking? Or a Hater?