Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coby Fleener

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Fleener had rookie woes. Allen was more suited as the all around TE while Fleener should have been the slot WR in the offense like Clark was. 

Hopefully Pep utilizes Allen & Fleener more effectively in the offense because they are very good, they just need time.

Clark wasn't a slot WR, he was a TE who occasionally played the slot. We always had a slot WR during Clark's tenure. I do agree we need to use Fleener more creatively, however.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen anyone call him a scrub that shouldn't be in the NFL, but I do agree some people's view of Fleener is skewed because they are comparing his rookie season to Allen's which isn't fair. Fleener had a solid rookie season and I believe he's a keeper.

I am not saying people have used those exact words but if you listen to people talk about Fleener there is a general sense of disappointment and that his performance was way below what Allen's was.  When you look at things it really wasn't.  When you factor in Fleener also missed four games to injury the numbers are even closer.  Frankly the gap between Allen's numbers and Fleener's numbers is about the same between Allen's numbers and Gronk's and Miller (the real pro-bowl tightends) so if people want to say Allen was close to their level or on it they can't turn around and say Fleener was super far below Allen when the gap between Allen and Gronk/Miller is about the same as it was between Allen and Fleener.  While it's clear Allen had the better season than Fleener the gap isn't what some make it out to be.  Again, that is the only point I am trying to make.  That is also NOT to say that Allen needs to be dropped in performance.  Fleener needs more credit for his.  I think we agree on this point. 

Clark wasn't a slot WR, he was a TE who occasionally played the slot. We always had a slot WR during Clark's tenure. I do agree we need to use Fleener more creatively, however.

Well I was referring more to using Fleener in the situations we used Clark, not as the full time slot WR but occasionally. 

And we should have more use of Allen & Fleener on the field together.

I am not saying people have used those exact words but if you listen to people talk about Fleener there is a general sense of disappointment and that his performance was way below what Allen's was.  When you look at things it really wasn't.  When you factor in Fleener also missed four games to injury the numbers are even closer.  Frankly the gap between Allen's numbers and Fleener's numbers is about the same between Allen's numbers and Gronk's and Miller (the real pro-bowl tightends) so if people want to say Allen was close to their level or on it they can't turn around and say Fleener was super far below Allen when the gap between Allen and Gronk/Miller is about the same as it was between Allen and Fleener.  While it's clear Allen had the better season than Fleener the gap isn't what some make it out to be.  Again, that is the only point I am trying to make.  That is also NOT to say that Allen needs to be dropped in performance.  Fleener needs more credit for his.  I think we agree on this point. 

I wouldn't say Allen and Fleener's play was close at all (see the PFF stats I posted 99 time), I'd say Allen played like a seasoned vet who was consistently very good and Fleener played like a rookie TE who has the potential to be great. Regardless of what their stats say, this is the kind of situation where people say "stats are overrated". So, they aren't as far apart as "Fleener is a scrub who shouldn't be in the league", but I also don't believe they were as close as you hint to. I do think that they may become closer in the future as Fleener progresses, though.

I think we're arguing semantics at this point. I'm just excited to see them in our new offense.