Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What the 49ers may do with Alex Smith....

Over on ESPN in their 'insider' section a story saying Smith wants to be let go in mid-Marchy to become a Free Agent where he can pick his future team...

The 49ers will likely try and trade for him.

Here's a list of the team said to have some interest in Smith.....

The Buffalo BillsCleveland BrownsJacksonville JaguarsKansas City ChiefsNew York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles have all been mentioned as speculative possibilities thus far.  We've heard that the idea of his landing in Cleveland has something more to it than just idle speculation. 

I believe all six of these teams have a top-10 pick.  Personally, I would think Arizona might also have some interest in Smith, but that's a guess on my part.  What I think San Francisco will do is to reach out to each team and offer Smith AND the 49ers 1st round pick (31/32) in the draft for that team's first round pick.     A flip flop of picks with Smith going to the new team.   I think it would give the team acquiring Smith some political cover that they didn't give up too much (a top-10 pick) because they'd be getting a 1st round pick in this draft back in the deal.  Again,  this is just my hunch, no inside info of any kind.   I'll be curious to see if this idea surfaces as a reported rumor anywhere....

I don't think a team this year will want to trade down for Alex Smith and a 31/32. Although his career has been revived thanks to Jim Harbaugh, he doesn't seem like a hot commodity QB IMO. Also the teams looking for QB help are in the top-10 of picks of the draft, and making the the jump from lets say AZ at seven, down to 31/32 is crazy. Arizona is also looking to keep Kolb around for another year for BA to work with. And as San Francisco would like to trade him, I think they would get around a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith (IMO). 

Smith is a game manager who needs to go to a team with a run game.... I think if he were to go to Arizona he would be exposed... even with his good numbers his own coaches never had any real faith in him

Yeah....that's a bad fit. Arians should try to get Nick Foles....they'd probably be able to finally get Larry Fitz dialed in to that sorryass offense.

Smith's best landing spot is probably Kansas City...if for no other reason than stability with Andy Reid and his WCO type system. Chip Kelly could be blown out of Philly in 3 years if whatever he runs backfires...whereas Reid will get a much longer leash.

But things really need to stay the same for Alex Smith wherever he goes....he's had more offensive coordinators than Larry King has had wives.