Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown rules the world

oldunclemark

Ballard and Brown are Addai/Rhodes 2.0

Addai was a different kind of RB, like a quasi H back that was a pass blocker, runner, and reciever. His running style was different too. Ballard reminds me of Rhodes somewhat. Ballard like to finish a lot of runs with a dive or flip though.

And why exactly can you not split time with 3 backs?

"""Split would mean 'two'....'divide' would indicate 3 or more""... (signed: the word police)

..seriously..you're trying to win the game. You dont want to pro-rate carries for fairness to all. Its not kiddy ball.

Brown is the biggest threat...Ballard is a quality rookie... Have them play a series or two and then play the hot man.

Its a good problem to have

"""Split would mean 'two'....'divide' would indicate 3 or more""... (signed: the word police)

..seriously..you're trying to win the game. You dont want to pro-rate carries for fairness to all. Its not kiddy ball.

Brown is the biggest threat...Ballard is a quality rookie... Have them play a series or two and then play the hot man.

Its a good problem to have

Wow an uncharacteristically condescending remark. This isnt kiddie ball? Ah so those must be hand towels the players wear to keep their hands dry and not flags like in flag football. Well golly that explains why the play doesnt stop when a player loses their towel. Now i know.

Ok seriously, perhaps my comment about giving more carries to carter had less to do with feeling he's being treated unfairly and more to do with the fact that i think he could help the team if he got more carries. And wouldnt it stand to reason that if you use a 2 back rotation to keep your guys healthy and fresh, then using a 3 back rotation might go even further to keeping them healthy and fresh? Granted, a lot of times it comes down to situations and which back is better for a given situation, but, for example, theres no reason you couldnt alternate the 3 on first downs.

Personally i think a little too much is made about a back having to get carries to get into a groove. I think its important for the oline but not nearly as much for the actual rb.

Wow an uncharacteristically condescending remark. This isnt kiddie ball? Ah so those must be hand towels the players wear to keep their hands dry and not flags like in flag football. Well golly that explains why the play doesnt stop when a player loses their towel. Now i know.

Ok seriously, perhaps my comment about giving more carries to carter had less to do with feeling he's being treated unfairly and more to do with the fact that i think he could help the team if he got more carries. And wouldnt it stand to reason that if you use a 2 back rotation to keep your guys healthy and fresh, then using a 3 back rotation might go even further to keeping them healthy and fresh? Granted, a lot of times it comes down to situations and which back is better for a given situation, but, for example, theres no reason you couldnt alternate the 3 on first downs.

Personally i think a little too much is made about a back having to get carries to get into a groove. I think its important for the oline but not nearly as much for the actual rb.

I understand your point but Ballard even said he has to get into a groove, I dont necessarily think that its always about getting into a groove as much as it is getting into game situations building that trust with your O Linemen in the game, if you dont trust them then you get a running back that will dance behind the line because your front 5 cant open up a hole for whatever reason

I understand your point but Ballard even said he has to get into a groove, I dont necessarily think that its always about getting into a groove as much as it is getting into game situations building that trust with your O Linemen in the game, if you dont trust them then you get a running back that will dance behind the line because your front 5 cant open up a hole for whatever reason

Im sure every quality running back would say that because every quality running back is going to want more carries. What better way to get more carries than to say you need them in order to get into a groove to be able to play better. So long as the ol is opening a hole then id expect the back to be able to hit it whether its his first carry or his 20th carry. :)

You are right..Joker...the plays up the middle last week were because Tennesee stayedin a 6-man front..

Greg Rakestraw must have been smoking that straw..

Actually, not true. I reviewed all of the plays up the middle this week. Out of 13 plays up the middle between Brown and Ballard, only 3 or 4 were against six man fronts. In fact, in overtime, we were running a lot of power-running 3 TE sets against NINE man fronts, and Brown was reeling off big runs multiple times.

Make no mistake: we made it a point of forcing a power run game down their gut, and we were doing it effectively.

Actually, not true. I reviewed all of the plays up the middle this week. Out of 13 plays up the middle between Brown and Ballard, only 3 or 4 were against six man fronts. In fact, in overtime, we were running a lot of power-running 3 TE sets against NINE man fronts, and Brown was reeling off big runs multiple times.

Make no mistake: we made it a point of forcing a power run game down their gut, and we were doing it effectively.

To me, if LB is outside the tackle, that's a 6-man front......They used a lot of 4-2 with an OLB chasing the TE

That's what I saw when I watched it again

...I think runners have to have runs in a series (not neceessarily in sucession) so they can make moves and make plays

No offense..meant..but in youth ball..the coaches often try to make sure all the backs get some carries.....that's all I meant

I dont think we're trying to be fair to Delone Carter...I dont want us to be fair to all the backs...

Carter gets to score TDs because he's only used in short yardage and near the goal...a place Brown hardly ever gets the ball.

That's his role....4th-and-1 .and goal line...That's a good role

..as an aside..I like arguing about who should carry the ball more because it means we're not 20 pionts behind and piling up 3-and-outs

It sure is more fun to debate Carter vs. Brown vs. Ballard after 7 weeks than it is to argue why we're 0-7 and who should we draft.

...I think runners have to have runs in a series (not neceessarily in sucession) so they can make moves and make plays

No offense..meant..but in youth ball..the coaches often try to make sure all the backs get some carries.....that's all I meant

I dont think we're trying to be fair to Delone Carter...I dont want us to be fair to all the backs...

Carter gets to score TDs because he's only used in short yardage and near the goal...a place Brown hardly ever gets the ball.

That's his role....4th-and-1 .and goal line...That's a good role

..as an aside..I like arguing about who should carry the ball more because it means we're not 20 pionts behind and piling up 3-and-outs

It sure is more fun to debate Carter vs. Brown vs. Ballard after 7 weeks than it is to argue why we're 0-7 and who should we draft.

Yeah, it's a good problem to have. Certainly beats not having a run game at all.