Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What did we do right before the half?

oldunclemark

It was a weird thing to call timeout at that point. I don't understand why we punted at the end of the game with 7 seconds left and a fourth down. Why not run a play and let the running back scramble around to run out the clock, then just fall onto the ground once the clock hits 00:00? We punt giving Cribbs a chance at a return, which didn't happen, but it did allow the Browns one more play and we've seen weird stuff happen when teams do that lateral thing all over the field. It's too easy to lose track of someone and they break a big play. Just glad it all worked out.

It was a weird thing to call timeout at that point. I don't understand why we punted at the end of the game with 7 seconds left and a fourth down. Why not run a play and let the running back scramble around to run out the clock, then just fall onto the ground once the clock hits 00:00? We punt giving Cribbs a chance at a return, which didn't happen, but it did allow the Browns one more play and we've seen weird stuff happen when teams do that lateral thing all over the field. It's too easy to lose track of someone and they break a big play. Just glad it all worked out.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

That was another less questionable call. Let Luck take the snap and sprint to the opposite endzone for a safety. It's going to take him more than 6 seconds. I guess the fantasy football players would scream about it, but it gave a dangerous returner a chance.

Situational football doesn't seem to be a strong suit.

4 seconds they could easily kill with the QB, or simply punting.

Even at 10-11 seconds I don't see much logic to it unless your scouting dictates that you feel strongly about going after a block. Even then, the time out should have occurred as soon as the previous play ended so there is more time on the clock. Even if you get a blocked kick at the 10-11 second mark, unless you take it to the house you are going to be lucky to have any time to set up a fg.

It was a Caldwellesque call any way you look at it.

I don't think anyone on this board , me included , thinks it was good value calling a TO to get another play. I'm ony pointing out that Arian's intention was not to call the time out with one second left on the clock. His intention was to try to make them punt and maybe get a return (TD) or a block. Really silly as both would have to be returned for a TD. The odds are better that you're more likely to come up with an injured player than something good.

My point has been to point out that the plan was not to call it with a second left. What happened here was a bad decision followed by non execution of getting the TO when he wanted to call it.