Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne

Douzer

That is probably a very accurate comparison Hans. Route running IMO matter more than pure speed. These guys are so fast that if you run the route right with the fakes and turns where they are supposed to be you can get open.

Not to mention the hands he has. He was just grabbing the ball, not catching it, He was grabbing it when it got close.

I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but from the clips I've seen, I see a lot of similarities between Reggie and Steve Largent. Neither one has the size/speed ratio that makes scouts drool, but the skill level they play with, the route running, and the hands are legendary.

Reggie's just that darn good at football, and it'd be a shame if he doesn't make it in to the Hall of Fame. If he keeps tearing it up with Luck, it'll improve his chances dramatically because the major criticism I've seen from outsiders is that Wayne's a product of Peyton and, to a lesser extent, Marvin.

Reggie is much more athletic than Largent. Largent was slow, but he did have great hands.

Reggie is about to move into the top 10 all time in catches and yards. Should be a lock for the HoF, IMO.

Reggie is much more athletic than Largent. Largent was slow, but he did have great hands.

Reggie is about to move into the top 10 all time in catches and yards. Should be a lock for the HoF, IMO.

He should be, but unfortunately, getting in as a WR is harder and harder these days. Believe it or not, this might have been the game to put him over the top because of just how great and widespread the story's become.

As for the other point, Wayne is faster, but Reggie was also never considered a blazer in his era. His speed is always the last thing anyone mentions. Both of them have exceptional football IQ, awareness, and hands. The comparison is still an accurate one in my book.

P.S. - *The schtick about Largent being supremely unathletic always got played up, but don't be fooled- the guy's YPC, playing in a less friendly era for passing, is better than Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Jerry Rice, and for now, Calvin Johnson. Hands, football IQ, and awareness alone can't get you that far. Welker gets compared to him for obvious reasons, but Largent averages nearly 5 yards per reception more than him, too.

He should be, but unfortunately, getting in as a WR is harder and harder these days. Believe it or not, this might have been the game to put him over the top because of just how great and widespread the story's become.

I think Reggie would have to have a near record season at some point in order to wind up in the HOF. The position is already log-jammed, and maybe that will change in coming years. Reggie wouldn't be eligible until 2018 anyways, and that's if he retires after this year, which he doesn't seem to be planning to do. He's already close on the volume numbers, but would have to continue playing at a #1 target level for at least the next three years. And he has to have at least one standout season, which he doesn't have yet. Not just one game.

By the way, Marvin's record for receptions in a single season (143) is in play. If Reggie were to continue averaging 9 catches per game, he'd break Marvin's record by 1. Marvin's season high game that year was 14 catches. If Reggie has another three or four double-digit catch games, he will likely stay on a strong pace. Breaking that record is unlikely, but that would be the kind of standout season that would help his chances.

I think Reggie would have to have a near record season at some point in order to wind up in the HOF. The position is already log-jammed, and maybe that will change in coming years. Reggie wouldn't be eligible until 2018 anyways, and that's if he retires after this year, which he doesn't seem to be planning to do. He's already close on the volume numbers, but would have to continue playing at a #1 target level for at least the next three years. And he has to have at least one standout season, which he doesn't have yet. Not just one game.

By the way, Marvin's record for receptions in a single season (143) is in play. If Reggie were to continue averaging 9 catches per game, he'd break Marvin's record by 1. Marvin's season high game that year was 14 catches. If Reggie has another three or four double-digit catch games, he will likely stay on a strong pace. Breaking that record is unlikely, but that would be the kind of standout season that would help his chances.

You're right, solid post. He'll need to do more beyond this game.

The reason this one game is still crucial to his case is because, inevitably, voters look for that signature performance of a prospective HOF'er when it comes time to separate the wheat from the chaff. I know hat's a harsh analogy given that everyone nominated for the HOF is great, but they have to split hairs at some point. If Wayne continues to have a career year on top of this signature performance, that's the kind of thing that sticks in voter's minds.

While another 2 great seasons on top of this would go a long way towards helping his case, he still might not make it in from a numbers standpoint. Any way you slice it, he'll be a borderline guy to the voters no matter how badly we want him in.