Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason Position Grades

SubZero

QB: A, Luck did great and will only improve. The future is looking bright in the Luck era.

RB: B-, There is talent here but better blocking would help them reach there full potential.

WR: A-, There are so many options here and im liking what the colts have done.

TE: B-, I love Allen but Fleener needs to work on those hands asap!

OT: C+, Costanzo is a solid player who deserves more credit than giving. Justice on the other hand is a decent pass blocker but terrible run blocker.

OG: D, The pressure up the middle was just inexcusable. And there run blocking has been bad.

C: B-, Satele is a beast in the run game. When it comes to pass protection he often gets lost but overall a solid player.

DE: B, IMO i think this is an over looked position. Good depth and quality play.

NT: C-, Johnson isnt fit for a 3-4 and so far we are giving up plenty of yards on the ground.

OLB: A+, Freeney was very quiet but Mathis, Addison, and Hughes were doing great. Definatly the deepest position.

ILB: A+, Very deep with great play by the backups (props to Harvey and Fokou).

CB: B+, If Vontaes potential shows then this might be bumped to an A.

S: A-, Bethea is an elite talent while Zbikowski is solid. No big flaws.

Again this is just my preseason evaluations

QB: A, Luck did great and will only improve. The future is looking bright in the Luck era.

RB: C- There is talent here but better blocking would help them reach there full potential. (they couldn't do anything but I'll credit that to the guards

WR: A-, There are so many options here and im liking what the colts have done.

TE: B-, I love Allen but Fleener needs to work on those hands asap!

OT: C+, Costanzo is a solid player who deserves more credit than giving. Justice on the other hand is a decent pass blocker but terrible run blocker.

OG: F, The pressure up the middle was just inexcusable. And there run blocking has been bad. ( they got mauled

C: B-, Satele is a beast in the run game. When it comes to pass protection he often gets lost but overall a solid player.

DE: B+IMO i think this is an over looked position. Good depth and quality play. ( redding is ridiculously solid)

NT: D- , Johnson isnt fit for a 3-4 and so far we are giving up plenty of yards on the ground. (they got pushed around)

OLB: C+, Freeney was very quiet but Mathis, Addison, and Hughes were doing great. Definatly the deepest position. ( freeney has done nothing, and Mathis has only done a little bit more, only reason the grade isn't lower is because of Hughes

ILB: C, Very deep with great play by the backups (props to Harvey and Fokou). Best one is hurt and quantity doesn't replace quality)

CB: C-, If Vontaes potential shows then this might be bumped to an A. (they were horrible and vontae is a wild cArd)

S: B- Bethea is an elite talent while Zbikowski is solid. No big flaws. (Zibi hasn't really made plays)

Again this is just my preseason evaluations

I changed, according to my thoughts

Nice evaluation though

Call me ornery.....I call all positions incomplete.

When applying a totally new offense, a totally new defense, and a new emphasis on a special teams beast, it is a work in progress. This is not to say I disagree with the grades above.

When we had so many new players (53 with and T or a 1 by their name) the grades needed to be almost as much by individual than by unit....especially when name-tags and programs were needed to learn the names. :)

This team reminds me of my first report card...when we got S's and Us...or IC.....Of course mine always had to say: Brent does not play well with others....I guess some things never change. :) GO COLTS!

The lines were awful. Other than that, I see no GAPING holes. The main point of focus would be developing running backs and receivers. I, personally, am in the camp that says we should have kept Darren Evans, and I think given a chance, he can become a solid player. Hopefully he will get a chance with us this season. Vick Ballard looks good and so does Hilton. These guys need to make strides, and maybe our offense will be ok. But our line needs to protect Luck, period.

QB: A+ : Luck looked like a 3rd or 4th year vet out there with his pocket presence. Stanton was solid and really impressed. Harnish impressive every time he took the field. He just needs to get his nerves controlled.

RB: C : Brown is explosive when he gets out of the backfield, good hands, and once he is in the open field almost no one can catch him. Ballard proved he can run up the middle and outside the tackles and still gain yards. Carter seemed to have his fumbling problems fixed, but I want to see that carry over to the regular season. Moore is great as a receiving option on 3rd down, I want to see him healthy and back on the field. Lots of room for improvement from the group.

WR: B : Reggie was just Reggie. Collie was the same as last year up until the Concussion. Hilton and Brazil looked great, but need to work on getting open a little faster and Hilton needs to just take a deep breath and calm down a little. Avery was good in Washington. I want to see him stay healthy the whole season. Adams was impressive in the last game, he goes up for the ball and isn't afraid of getting hit.

TE: B- : Allen looked very comfortable, his hands were great and he isn't afraid of getting hit. Fleener needs to work a little on his nerves and consistency. If he can get both in check then he could be yet another deep threat for Luck. Jones was amazing in the finally and I want to see that continue through the season.

OT: C+ : The only reason I gave a C+ here was because of Costanzo's play. Justice is good in the passing game, but his footwork needs work in the run. If Justice can get his footwork better then our tackles are good to go.

OG: D : This group needs some consistency and needs to learn to open up some wholes for the running back. There is room for improvement here.

C: B- : Satale is a beast in run blocking and okay at pass blocking.

DE: B : This group is very talented. If Redding is healthy all season we have good depth behind him.

NT: C-: Mookie is okay at best. I want to see how the new guy does and I would love to see Chapman come in after week 6, if 100% ready to go.

OLB: A- : I need to see more out of Freeney. Mathis, Hughes, and Addison have all proved they can play this position and have done it well. This is one of our better parts of the team.

ILB: B+ :This is a strong position on the field. When Pat gets back I could bump this to an A easily. Freeman, Fokou, and Conner are all very good and go after the ball.

CB: B-: If Vontae plays to his potential this season then we are in for a treat. Powers just needs to stay healthy and we could have one of the best CB tandems in the league. By the end of the season this could be graded as an A- or A.

S: B : Zbis needs to show us why we got him. He is a hard hitter and very physical when he is involved in plays. Bethea is just a beast and can control the momentum of the game.