Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My way way too early mock draft

RD1:  Colts take Saquon Barkley - Barkley has been a stud since day 1 at RB for Penn State, running for 1076 yards as a freshman and hes gotten better each year. At 5-11 223lbs Barkley has good size to go with amazing lateral quickness and vision he uses to grind down defenses and pop in some big chunk plays. This year Saquon Barkley has run for 1100+ yards and has 47 receptions for 594 yards in 12 games showing he can be a real asset in the running and passing game. Usually taking a RB this high in the first is a bad idea but Barkley is the exception to that rule, having him in the backfield would take so much pressure off of Luck and make the offense very scary. Some Colts fan would say this is a wasted pick because of the Colts OL but if old man Gore can run for a grand last year and another 800-900 this year with his longest carry going 22 yards then they can at least run block decent. With Barkley the Colts could have the best RB they've had since Edgerrin James. 

ALT Picks -

Bradley Chubb: He could step in and be that pass rusher the Colts have needed since Mathis retired. 

Arden Key: Very good pass rusher might be a better athlete and fit at OLB than Chubb

Quenton Nelson: The Colts need 2 new guards and he's been called the best OG prospect in a decade by some. 

RD2: The Colts select Billy Price -

Billy Price has been a starter at guard and center for Ohio State for 3 seasons now and has been a fantastic blocker in both the run and pass game. Price could step in right away and fix one of the OG spots and if paired with a FA OG the line will be much much better than this piece of garbage line. While he's not the elite OG prospect that Quenton Nelson has been called drafting Price at the top of round 2 is a much better value than spending a top 3 pick on a guard. 

ALT Picks - 

Taven Bryan: Incredible athlete and could be a monster 3-4 DE. He's a better athlete than football player now, but with the right coaching staff he could be one of the best in the league.

Josh Allen: The Colts need help at both inside and outside LB Josh Allen would be a versatile asset for our new DC. He can blitz, stop the run and has tools to develop into a strong coverage backer as well. 

Austin Bryant/Clelin Ferrell: With a pretty deep edge rushing class I think one of the Clemson DEs will fall to the Colts pick in RD2 and if they don't take Chubb or Key whoever does would be welcomed as a OLB for Indy.

RD3: The Colts select Dorance Armstrong Jr - 

A bit of a down year production wise could let Dorance Armstrong slide to the 3rd round and if so the Colts need to snatch him up. Armstrong was a terror last year he notched 10 sacks and over 20 TFL, this year his production has dropped huge to only 2 sacks and 9.5 TFL. Most of it has to do with teams double teaming and game planning around Armstrong, but he does have concerns about his size which hurt him in the run game and could make 4-3 teams hesitant to take him. The lack of size combined with his drop in production could lead him to drop to the 3rd round where I think he'd be a steal.

ALT Picks - 

Keishawn Bierria:  A fast run and chase LB who could play the SS/LB tweener role that has become more popular to combat TEs and receiving RBs.

Frank Ragnow: If the Colts don't take a OG in the first two rounds then they will need one here. Ragnow is a strong interior blocker who can play either OG spot or C if Kelly misses more time.

J.C Jackson: If Rashaad Melvin isn't resigned then CB will fly up the list of needs. If Jackson didn't have the red flags he does off the field he would not last this far, but he was kicked of the Gators after being accused of armed robbery and before that was shot at and grazed by a bullet. Ballard has taken chances on players in KC and if he feels the risk is worth the reward then he could be a gem.    

Armstrong I may be low balling a bit but I if Bryant is a fringe 1st then getting him or whoever the top pass rusher left at the top of RD2 isn't a big stretch. Either Bryant, Ferrell, Landry or Sam Hubbard should still be there and would be good picks if Price is gone 

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Oh good god....two yrs in a row with this RB crap.

Yeah cause I'm sure the Colts would have been heartbroken if they drafted Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara or Hunt in RD2 instead of Wilson. Just because it's a RB doesn't mean it's a bad pick in RD1 or high in RD2 if they are a good player then it's a good pick.

7 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

Yeah cause I'm sure the Colts would have been heartbroken if they drafted Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara or Hunt in RD2 instead of Wilson. Just because it's a RB doesn't mean it's a bad pick in RD1 or high in RD2 if they are a good player then it's a good pick.

I was obviously talking about taking a rb with the 3rd pick.

yeah I got that, but Barkley as a prospect is much much better than any of those guys I mentioned. Just because he's a RB doesn't mean he can't be a good pick in the top end of RD1. I'm sure we would gladly take Gurley or Eliott on our team.

4 hours ago, ty4atd said:

yeah I got that, but Barkley as a prospect is much much better than any of those guys I mentioned. Just because he's a RB doesn't mean he can't be a good pick in the top end of RD1. I'm sure we would gladly take Gurley or Eliott on our team.

If you gave me the choice of Gurley or Chubb, I would take Chubb.

Chubb would be my 1B choice but I think Barkley is a better player and this draft is deep in pass rushers as well so in rd 2 or 3 we could still get a quality rusher. Sheard and Simon are fine the Pats won a SB with Sheard as their best pass rusher. We need better linebacker play and better depth on the edge IMO.

I've been leaning more toward Chubb if we stay put, but a trade down would be the best option. 

Trading down, aside from the bevy of picks, could still land us Key, Conner, Landry, the ND left Tackle, or even Nelson, depending on how far down we go...

I won't be disappointed with Chubb or Barkley or even Fitzpatrick, but it sure looks like the value in the 1st round this draft is likely to be had in picks 4-12 with as many as 3 QBs and 2 RBs going in the first 12.