Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some observations from the game....

FightLikeSin

O-Line is inconsistent, but getting better

Early on I saw Castanzo blow an assignment, Satele get bullrushed and Justice making dumb mistakes/penalties. But after awhile they seemed to be on the same page. Still pretty worried about them, but I think they'll start gelling when they get everyone's role in check. Reitz was another nice surprise. I thought he played better than what I expected.

Seth Olsen > Mike McGlyn

Wow... McGlynn was worse than I thought he was going to be. He was getting murdered out there by the RAMS d-lineman, mostly by Kendall Langford. Seth Olsen came in for him when McGlynn went out with an ankle sprain. I was very impressed with Olsen's play at RG. Go back and watch the Austin Collie TD and bask in all of that pass protection that was happening.

Mookie Johnson is not a Nose Tackle

Another tragic sight was seeing Johnson try to play the NT position. He didn't command a double team and usually got sent straight to the ground. Josh Chapman...if you're listening, HELP! If Johnson makes the team, he should only see time in the 4-3 packages.

Nevis/McKinney > Moala/Johnson

To be fair, this is just the preseason I know. But I was way more impressed by the play at DE/NT with Nevis and McKinney than I was with Moala and Johnson. Nevis got pressure, held his gap and hunted down Steven Jackson for a nice save. Moala had a play where he went completely unblocked and tackled the runner at the LOS, but that was about all I saw out of him. McKinney wasn't amazing by any means, but he at least stayed upright and put up a wall at the LOS. He didn't budge much and made the runners divert. All in all, I'd like to see Nevis, McKinney, Redding.

T.Y. Hilton's catch

We didn't get to see much of Hilton yesterday, but Hilton's catch over Jenkins was pretty awesome. He is showing that he's more than just a kick returner. We may have our version of Desean Jackson minus the drama hopefully.

Jerry Hughes!

JERRY HUGHES!

I like our RB's

Donald Brown shows more of what he left us with at the end of last season with a huge run right out of the gate for a TD. If we can get that Patriots/Bears screen pass sort of game going, I'll be a happy camper.

Delone Carter is still a great goal line/short yardage back. I loved seeing him boulder through straight up the gut for 5-6 yards. If Donald Brown goes down, I hope he gets a shot at RB1. He's a bruiser.

Mewelde Moore is a great value FA. His pass blocking is unmatched by any other RB on our roster. He also had a great catch on the flat for about 10 yards.

Vick Ballard had his moments and I think eventually he can compete for the #1 spot.

We weren't horrible against the pass

Granted, I've just been reminiscing here and not looking at stats or film, I don't recall giving up any big plays through the air. A lot of Bradford's completions came off of screens or short slant routes. I think Justin King has some work to do, but he seems serviceable. He seemed to be right on them for a tackle as soon as they caught the ball.

All in all, a great game. Almost put up a 40 burger in the debut....I'll take it.

T.Y. Hilton's catch

We didn't get to see much of Hilton yesterday, but Hilton's catch over Jenkins was pretty awesome. He is showing that he's more than just a kick returner. We may have our version of Desean Jackson minus the drama hopefully.

I agree it was a very good catch, excellent concentration. But it really should have been a pick... but it wasnt so im happy. i think its a testament to andrews arm strength cuz it went rocketing thru janoris' hands!

I agree it was a very good catch, excellent concentration. But it really should have been a pick... but it wasnt so im happy. i think its a testament to andrews arm strength cuz it went rocketing thru janoris' hands!

It was a great pass placed where only an anticipatory receiver could go get it. I thought T.Y. did a great job of going up to get it and getting his feet down for the completion.

Nevis/McKinney > Moala/Johnson

To be fair, this is just the preseason I know. But I was way more impressed by the play at DE/NT with Nevis and McKinney than I was with Moala and Johnson. Nevis got pressure, held his gap and hunted down Steven Jackson for a nice save. Moala had a play where he went completely unblocked and tackled the runner at the LOS, but that was about all I saw out of him. McKinney wasn't amazing by any means, but he at least stayed upright and put up a wall at the LOS. He didn't budge much and made the runners divert. All in all, I'd like to see Nevis, McKinney, Redding.

As combination, I'd probably agree, though their snaps were against second teamers. Individually, I thought Moala looked like a completely different player in his limited snaps. He played like a starter - a very active 5 tech. The running plays we gave up yards to were away from him early on, which could be coincidence, but it also looked like he had great leverage on that end compared to what Rico had on the other. I guess my take away was that between Nevis, Moala and Redding we have DE's that look like they will perform well in this scheme and should have a nice rotation. Wouldn't shock me if Moala plays more in the 3-4 looks and Nevis more in the hybrid and/or nickel looks. We may not want Moala to get caught inside, but as a 5 tech he looked natural. Nevis might be more versatile and thus there might be games that he gets more of the snaps if they feel like they can slide him around more (we know Pagano loves to do that with his D lineman).