Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best WR of all time?

manning2dallas

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That only strengthens the argument for Harrison. Calvin is another receiver that does have the Reggie Waynes taking away yards, receptions, and touchdowns.

That's true, but Marvin did plenty of damage before Reggie became a real threat. His record breaking 2002, for instance, was before Reggie really emerged as a consistent receiver. Marvin had almost 100 more catches than Reggie did. And he was 30. His entire body of work to that point was with him as the only consistent receiver on the field. Faulk was a factor, as was Edge, but not like a true #2 receiver would be.

However, it's plainly obvious that Calvin Johnson's numbers are better than they would be if he had a true #2. And after 2002, Marvin never went over 100 catches again. Reggie's presence clearly impacted his numbers.

That's true, but Marvin did plenty of damage before Reggie became a real threat. His record breaking 2002, for instance, was before Reggie really emerged as a consistent receiver. Marvin had almost 100 more catches than Reggie did. And he was 30. His entire body of work to that point was with him as the only consistent receiver on the field. Faulk was a factor, as was Edge, but not like a true #2 receiver would be.

However, it's plainly obvious that Calvin Johnson's numbers are better than they would be if he had a true #2. And after 2002, Marvin never went over 100 catches again. Reggie's presence clearly impacted his numbers.

Exactly, as I said before when Marvin was the only receiving threat for the Colts his performances were above and beyond Moss and Owens.

I've been waiting patiently for someone to posit upon how the running game factors in to this discussion. Some guys have demonstrated a propensity for excelling when they're the only real threat on offense (Fitzgerald, Megatron, Andre Johnson, etc.) but how is Michael Irvin without Emmitt Smith? Is it a coincidence that Marvin's best years overlapped with Edge's Colts career?

Edge was really something else in his prime and let's not also forget the Hall of Fame runner who preceded him.

Okay, the Correct order is

Jerry Rice

Chris (you'd be surprised at his stats if you look him up)

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Torry Holt

That is the correct order for top 5....why did everyone forget about Torry Holt

Again. Carter played 15yrs and only led his team in yds 6 times, one was with a 600yd campaign another was 900. I cannot put Carter that high on a list when it could be argued that for multiple years he wasn't even the best on his own team.

Jerry Rice

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Torry Holt

Seems ALL our lists ar too modern, my dad pointed out Raymond Berry of the old Baltimore Colts was amazing, and he rattled of like 4 other old guys I never even heard of lol. So I think the topic here should be the top 5 WR of MODERN times as lets face it most of us do not know the really old time players.

Carter may have had the hands, but I just cannot put him anywhere near the GOAT at his position. In 15 years he only led his team 6x in rec yards, and had 1 season at or over 1300.

All true...but the 'Greatest' wasnt the question....

Its 'the best'....and that's 2 different things....

To me, Gayle Sayers was the best Chicago Bear RB of all time....because he did things in the open field that 50 years later..no one has done. He ade cuts you phytsically cannot do..and he played on one of the worst fields in the NFL...at Wrigley Field in Chicago

But he's not the greatest....not even on his own team..Walter Payton played longer...greater longevity... Walter was the grestest Bear RB...maybe the greatest RB overall....considering his blocking and throwing skills

I dont even think even Randy Moss would say he's better catching the football than Cris Carter.

If the question is: Who was the bost at catching passes....not yards after the catch or years played or TDs..or Super Bowls..

Greatest is Jerry Rice..although Don Hutson may have dominated his era more than Rice....and you could rip the WR's helmet off

(and it was legal) when Hutson played

But who's the best receiver..? (which again, was the question)

I've just never seen anyone better than Carter ....

I've just never seen anyone better than Carter ....

That right there is the NAIL on the head, he is the best you have ever seen. I have seen the freak do catches I have NEVER EVER seen anyone else make. Lynn Swann was the FIRST WR I ever saw make spectacular high jump catches. And Jerry Rice well he just seemed to catch ANYTHING thrown his way.

That right there is the NAIL on the head, he is the best you have ever seen. I have seen the freak do catches I have NEVER EVER seen anyone else make. Lynn Swann was the FIRST WR I ever saw make spectacular high jump catches. And Jerry Rice well he just seemed to catch ANYTHING thrown his way.

agreed..absolutely. We are limited by our lifespan (and by NFL films)....

Bless the Sabols

agreed..absolutely. We are limited by our lifespan (and by NFL films)....

Bless the Sabols

I don't understand why NFL films doesn't do a subscription service. Like watch all the game archives since they have footage for $50 a year. And they could stil have game rewind separatley so they're getting money for both past and present games. They have the games, please let us watch them if we're willing to pay.

I think you'd be suprised. Reggies first significant season was 2004. Until that point, through his career Marvin accounted for on avg. 26% of the teams rec. 31% of the yards, and 41% of the TDs, in regard to the Colts passing #s.

So 26%/31%/41% Pre Reggie Breakout

Starting in 2004 and until Marvs injury in 07

24%/27%/35% of the teams Rec/Yds/TDs

So your only talking a 2%, a 4%, and a 6% drop over a 3 year period average. Which when factoring Marvins age at 32/33/34 really doesn't seem like Reggie cut into his production as much as people would believe.

His ypc avg pre Reggie was 13.2, his avg after was 13.7.....In two of the 3 years post Reggie he had a ypc of 14.0 or higher, in the 8 years prior he had only done it twice.

Pretty interesting really.

I think you'd be suprised. Reggies first significant season was 2004. Until that point, through his career Marvin accounted for on avg. 26% of the teams rec. 31% of the yards, and 41% of the TDs, in regard to the Colts passing #s.

So 26%/31%/41% Pre Reggie Breakout

Starting in 2004 and until Marvs injury in 07

24%/27%/35% of the teams Rec/Yds/TDs

So your only talking a 2%, a 4%, and a 6% drop over a 3 year period average. Which when factoring Marvins age at 32/33/34 really doesn't seem like Reggie cut into his production as much as people would believe.

His ypc avg pre Reggie was 13.2, his avg after was 13.7.....In two of the 3 years post Reggie he had a ypc of 14.0 or higher, in the 8 years prior he had only done it twice.

Pretty interesting really.

Yeah, Marvin was still clearly the #1 option after 2002. But your post illustrates that there was a dip in his numbers once Reggie came on as a bona fide threat. And yeah, Marvin was getting older, but he was still running past defenses just like always. The fact that the offense wasn't as predictable likely helped him get some bigger plays in subsequent seasons as well, contributing to a higher YPC.

Yeah, Marvin was still clearly the #1 option after 2002. But your post illustrates that there was a dip in his numbers once Reggie came on as a bona fide threat. And yeah, Marvin was getting older, but he was still running past defenses just like always. The fact that the offense wasn't as predictable likely helped him get some bigger plays in subsequent seasons as well, contributing to a higher YPC.

I think it'd be pretty interesting to see similar WR production rates at similar ages. Similar to say Holt at ages 32/33/34, or Chad Johnson etc. I'm curious if there %s would drop off at that rate or perhaps even higher, without the younger threat on the other side.

Marvin put up incredible stats for the number of years he played with Peyton playing a huge part in that. If and above average receiver plays 6 healthy seasons with Brady, Rees or Rogers he'll have big numbers also. If Marvin had played just two or three more productive seasons he would have been top 6-8 IMO. As it stands now he's 10-12. He lost it in season 8 and that just doesn't cut the top ten.

Jerry Rice

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Torry Holt

because he's not close to being a top 5 receiver