Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Berry released

Phil J

Good point, but I think you're projecting your primary concern on everyone else. When it comes to availability, you might be willing to take a chance on one person even though he's had some incidents in his past. Your issue with availability, if taken to its extreme, would mean avoiding anyone who has ever had a run-in with the law.

Some people would just rather not have someone who would pull a gun on three complete strangers in a parking lot, while they can grit their teeth and bear someone who got arrested for being in a bar fight or for using marijuana.

I get what you are saying. I'm not trying to project my concern, i'm making my observation of conflicting concerns from other members who say "a couple arrests are no big deal" to justify someone with talent being on the team. Would Berry be an upgrade? I would say most definitely yes. I wouldn't want him on the team for the same reasons I wouldn't want Jenkins on the team. I just don't like troublemakers. But this isn't about what I want, I had one of those "wait....what?" moments where it felt like someone flipped a switch that changed someone's mind and decided to point it out.

Horse officially beaten.

I get what you are saying. I'm not trying to project my concern, i'm making my observation of conflicting concerns from other members who say "a couple arrests are no big deal" to justify someone with talent being on the team. Would Berry be an upgrade? I would say most definitely yes. I wouldn't want him on the team for the same reasons I wouldn't want Jenkins on the team. I just don't like troublemakers. But this isn't about what I want, I had one of those "wait....what?" moments where it felt like someone flipped a switch that changed someone's mind and decided to point it out.

Horse officially beaten.

Yes it is. I get your overall point. But sometimes we have to do the whole "message board" thing, especially during the July doldrums. Thankfully, we should have more substantive stuff to talk about moving forward.

I'll just say one more thing: I don't think Aaron Berry is an upgrade. I think he's a run of the mill player that doesn't make that much of a difference. And being honest, I might inch toward that hypocritical stance of making an exception for a really talented trouble-maker. But we're talking proven NFL caliber talent, with upside, and who seems to be making a reasonable effort to rehabilitate his image. And even then, I'm still not jumping up and down about it. I'd reluctantly be on board, with both fingers crossed.

Yes it is. I get your overall point. But sometimes we have to do the whole "message board" thing, especially during the July doldrums. Thankfully, we should have more substantive stuff to talk about moving forward.

I'll just say one more thing: I don't think Aaron Berry is an upgrade. I think he's a run of the mill player that doesn't make that much of a difference. And being honest, I might inch toward that hypocritical stance of making an exception for a really talented trouble-maker. But we're talking proven NFL caliber talent, with upside, and who seems to be making a reasonable effort to rehabilitate his image. And even then, I'm still not jumping up and down about it. I'd reluctantly be on board, with both fingers crossed.

This was my initial struggle with Jenkins. Had NFL caliber talent but has not yet played in the nfl, has upside and isn't making a reasonable effort to rehabilitate his image. But if the Colts would have drafted him, I would begrudgingly be alright with that I think.

But as you mentioned...we'll move on from these sorts of talk starting on Saturday. Then we can all do our 53 man roster projections and argue about that!

But as you mentioned...we'll move on from these sorts of talk starting on Saturday. Then we can all do our 53 man roster projections and argue about that!

Yup. I already did my pre-camp projection. I'm sure it will be drastically different two weeks from now.