Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Pick in 2013: If not Colts, then who?

NewColtsFan

QB... is THE most important position in today's NFL. INDY has one, Jax, MIA, CLE, and Minny DO NOT that eliminates us right off the bat.

And a solid pass rush is the best pass defense. Indy WILL rush the passer and mask our "very suspect" secondary..

Indy was not the worst team in the NFL last season. But the staff sticking with Painter for way too long was the reason. I firmly believe had DO played Indy would not have Luck.

This team is not nearly as bad as most think...

JMO

I agree with alot of what you said except 1 very big factor, Indy has had 2 of the most dominant pass rushers in the history of the NFL but we were constantly middle of the pack the majory of the last 14 years in passing yards and passing yards per attempt given up and completion percentage taht is when teams passed on us quite a bit, there were a few years where the total passing yards given up are skewed do to teams deciding they wanted to run all over us instead. without question pass rusher is important but I disagree that its the most important in todays NFL for a few reasons

1.the 5 yard enforcement that a Corner cant touch a Wide Receiver, you have to have a Corner that can read defenses and make plays on the ball

2.the late hit rules especially as it pertains to Quarterbacks, once they release the ball you absolutely can not touch them and even before they release the ball you can still get a helmet to helmet penalty very easy

3.Most telling I think is the number of times a pass rusher actually has an impact on a play, for example Demarcus Ware-19.5 sacks last season and where did the Cowboys passing yards given up rank? 23rd

I also think Minnesota has a quarterback. the question is can they keep him upright? they gave up 50 sacks last season, no quarterback could look halfway decent from his but multiple times a game