Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Fantasy Draft Strategy

What's yours? Lots of talk by "experts" saying to avoid the RB early plan and take a safer route, usually QB. Then again, there's quite a bit of depth at QB and not so much at RB. And of course there's the studs at WR and TE...

Let's say we're looking at a "standard" league that starts 1QB/2RB/3WR/TE, non-PPR. If you play in a different style league, feel free to post those strategies as well.

I'm going to be targeting a RB in round 1. I also want one of Gronk or Graham; I might reach at the back-end of round 1 to get them if I don't like the RBs. I'll be waiting on a QB. I'm planning to go QBBC with two of Big Ben, Cutler, RGIII, Schaub, Freeman, and Flacco.

You can go in with a strategy, but rarely do they stand up. Most of the time, you have to think and make moves on the spot.

I try always try to fill my positions. If it's the 12th round (for example), and I need a WR or a K, I don't care who's the best player available, I'm going for the best WR or K, based on my rankings (I can send them to you if you want).

Now, to answer your question, the QB does get you the most points year in and year out. It depends on what your opponents do... if they go with QB first, then you gotta get the best QB, the first chance you get. If they go RB first, then you go get the best RB, the first chance you get.

If you have one of the early picks, then it's up to you, that's all I can say.

That's all I got, and if you want my rankings, just ask me.

You can go in with a strategy, but rarely do they stand up. Most of the time, you have to think and make moves on the spot.

I try always try to fill my positions. If it's the 12th round (for example), and I need a WR or a K, I don't care who's the best player available, I'm going for the best WR or K, based on my rankings (I can send them to you if you want).

Now, to answer your question, the QB does get you the most points year in and year out. It depends on what your opponents do... if they go with QB first, then you gotta get the best QB, the first chance you get. If they go RB first, then you go get the best RB, the first chance you get.

If you have one of the early picks, then it's up to you, that's all I can say.

That's all I got, and if you want my rankings, just ask me.

I might be interested in those rankings. You seem to be able to predict this stuff well. I think you had several weeks when you predicted all outcomes of matches that week and you had 10+ wins a lot

My strategy is unless I'm in position for Rodgers, Brees, Brady,(I usually am but 90% of the time I don't pick them because I like my strategy ) I wait till round 4/5 to get my QB which is usually Tony Romo or Philip Rivers or both if I'm lucky. Sometimes I reach because of the league I'm in.

Best draft this year:

QBs: Romo, Big Ben

RBs: Rice, Forte, D. Brown

WRs: Roddy White, Harvin, Miles Austin, Reggie

TEs: Fleener, Pettigrew, Hernandez

K: Janikowski, Prater

Def: Ravens, Texans

its all you my man. there is no one right way to draft. i signed up to this forum just to reply with some help cause im addicted and love me some fantasy. lol

my stragety as of this year is picks 1-4 got to be a r.b-----foster,rice,mccoy and mo jo. in no specific prder.

if iam in spots 5-9 im trying for 1 of the 3 elite q.*- brees brady or a rod(even tho i hate him being a bears fan)

If I cant get one of them i would go back to r.b or Calvin Johnson. Once again this is my 1st rd prefence. no right way. and I cant tell you how where to go after rd 1 because every draft unfolds differently. I hope this helped. probaley not tho. lol. I find out what pick i have friday. Hoping 5 so i can have a pick of my Q.B

Like i said im a friendly bears fan. Nothin against colts cause i love watching you guys play. Looking forward to watch andrew luck in week 1 in a great, injury free game.

good luck this year gentleman

My strategy is to participate in as many mocks as possible at different positions so that I can have an idea based on a different crowd every time what kind of players will be available if I am picking 1-3,4-6,7-9,or 10-12. There is no one size fits all strategy. People are swayed by the yahoo rankings a lot of the time, and I dont blame for them, some of them are legit, and some are not. Then, I try to participate in 10 team leagues too to mimic my church league as well :).

What's everyone thoughts on the TE position? Where would you take Gronk/Graham? What about the next tier of guys? It's even feasible to wait until the end of your draft and roll with upside guys like Gresham or Cook.

Personally, if I miss on the top 2, I'll be waiting. Fred Davis is a favorite of mine who tends to fall later, and I really like Olsen even later.

What's everyone thoughts on the TE position? Where would you take Gronk/Graham? What about the next tier of guys? It's even feasible to wait until the end of your draft and roll with upside guys like Gresham or Cook.

Personally, if I miss on the top 2, I'll be waiting. Fred Davis is a favorite of mine who tends to fall later, and I really like Olsen even later.

I've got Antonio Gates as my no.3. He's still a great player and ssays that he feels great. Also, keep in mind, that with Jackson gone, he'll be the go-to guy most of the time. I've got Vernon Davis after him.

gronk and graham will have to bee taking before round 3 which is assanine imo. each has downside. gronk has brandon llyod in town now. while he isnt the best of w.rs he is primarly a deep threat which forsure will take some of them deep tragets away from gronk. as for graham, well everything in N.O is a mess. who knows how long brees will hold out. Not saying they both wont be very good. i would just rather fill other posistions in top 2 rds.

i like gates and davis as previous poster mentioned altho i still would rank jermichael finley ahed of them. Maybe not gates but davis yes.

i like dallas clark as a sleeper for tampa as well

My strategy is BPA.

I agree...

It really depends on the spot in the draft that you get. If you are one of the lucky ones that pick early first round you have to go RB with #1, #2 or #3 pick. I base my draft on the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. I love a great QB and if you are sitting at #12 and Aaron Rodgers slips I think I would take him in the 1st round but the trend in my mocks has Cam Newton going in the 1st and I am not sold on that.

My league is a PPR league with keepers. A WR is worth a lot more than a RB unless you can get one with great hands and catches a lot of balls out of the backfield. a double threat RB is a real asset to our league. I won last season so I pick #12 this year and I have Peterson and Fitzgerald as my keepers. I most likely will draft WR, WR with #12 and #13 pick unless one of those pass catching RB's slip to me.

Strategy could change at a moments notice in any draft. Watch the trends and DO NOT be afraid to go against the grain. IF a run on TE's starts.... who cares and do not panic! Pick another RB or WR and get the depth that other teams will be searching for in the later rounds.

ALSO I never draft a kicker... if you can do pick ups with no cost or league fee for it. use the last pick of your draft to go after your own little secret deep deep sleeper or a rookie that show some nice promise. If things do not pan out you just drop him ten minutes before game time and pick up the kicker you need on week one. 32 kickers available and you are in a 12 team league... plenty of options.

• 2 weeks later...