Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew luck close to signing

Playoffs2013

I was trying to find language that said something like....

"All signing bonuses are guaranteed...." or..... "all signing bonuses are guaranteed, unless specifically stated otherwise..." Something that might off some clarity on what is, or isn't, guaranteed. And, I was looking for something that might say how much of all rookie contracts are guaranteed?

Something that might explain that every penny of Cam Newton's deal was guaranteed because of (A) the new CBA, **OR** (B) every penny of Cam's contract was guaranteed simply because the Panthers want to make Newton as happy as possible so when it comes time to do his 2nd deal, he's happy enough to stay.

Something like that..........

But, while it may be buried somewhere in the endless pages, I couldn't find it....

Thank God I'm not an agent trying to represent a player. I'd have to hire someone to explain to me what the CBA allows....!

NCF

I would say that it is in the contract more than the CBA.

A stipulation stating that all 4 years are guaranteed, which each agent/player and team would have to come to an agreement on.

Not all rookie contracts were guaranteed last year. If memory serves me correctly the cutoff was somewhere around 20.

Costanzo for example did not have his 4th year guaranteed by the Colts and I think he was #24.

Here is a link from last fall.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-08-02-rookie-salaries-drop_n.htm

"It's a formula, and both sides know what it is," former NFL general manager and CBS analyst

Charley Casserly

says. "I had one general manager tell me the conversation to sign his first-rounder took five minutes."

The only room for negotiation, says ESPN NFL business analyst

Andrew Brandt, is whether first-round picks get three or four years guaranteed, and the extent of that guarantee, be it for injury, performance or both.

That's what's holding up the last few first-rounders yet to sign — the difference between three and four years of guaranteed money.

"The contracts being signed now will be used as a precedent for many years to come, even though they're being done in a compressed time frame," says Brandt.

Using Costanzo for example, he could have demanded the 4th guaranteed year and the Colts could have fought him on it, but he gave in.

I did read in that other article saying something along the lines that Luck/Colts might be negotiating how/win the signing bonus is paid.

*While the gridlock over offset language is arguably the primary factor standing in the way of agreements for the top eight players in the draft, a deal for No. 1 overall selection Andrew Luck might be hung up on another element: The schedule for the payout of his signing bonus.

Word is the former Stanford quarterback and agent Will Wilson of the Wasserman Media Group are seeking a more favorable payout schedule than has been offered by the Indianapolis Colts.

As reported last month by The Sports Xchange, the rookie wage scale formula pretty much dictates that Luck will receive the exact same signing bonus, $14,518,544, that Cam Newton got from thePanthers as the top overall draft choice a year ago.

Newton's bonus was meted out by Carolina in two 50-50 installments — it's rare when top choices actually cashier all of their so-called "upfront" money in a lump payment — and Luck and Wilson are either bargaining for a different split or, more likely, the timing is more advantageous to the player.

I would say that it is in the contract more than the CBA.

A stipulation stating that all 4 years are guaranteed, which each agent/player and team would have to come to an agreement on.

Not all rookie contracts were guaranteed last year. If memory serves me correctly the cutoff was somewhere around 20.

Costanzo for example did not have his 4th year guaranteed by the Colts and I think he was #24.

Here is a link from last fall.

http://www.usatoday....ries-drop_n.htm

Using Costanzo for example, he could have demanded the 4th guaranteed year and the Colts could have fought him on it, but he gave in.

I did read in that other article saying something along the lines that Luck/Colts might be negotiating how/win the signing bonus is paid.

Wow...

That's a tour de force post by you, FJC.... great stuff.... I think you're my new best friend!! I'm just not sure if that's good news for you, or perhaps it should scare the living *krap* out of you!!

Either way.... great stuff for my eyes.... mind candy for me!

Thanks again...

NCF

I was quoting the 12 from your post. So I'm not sure where it came from. I didn't create it or supply it.

I didn't double check Newton's deal in my response to you but yes it is slightly higher 14.518 million. At this point I would say Luck's will slightly exceed it, but not at my previous projections because the cap did not make the anticipated jump.

You've lost me with the bolded part.

The bolded part is a typo. I was basically asking what your comment to my original post was. I was responding to a poster saying Luck woud probably get 12 mill of his contarct guaranteed (Newton's was fully guaranteed) and you came back to my post saying the "12 milllion I spoke of " was the signing bonus Newton received. If your still confused , read posts 4 , 12 and 13. One of us is a little dizzy. Could be me as I'm getting a little old. No big deal as I think everyone is aware that the contract will be pretty much the same as Newton signed and it will happen soon.

The bolded part is a typo. I was basically asking what your comment to my original post was. I was responding to a poster saying Luck woud probably get 12 mill of his contarct guaranteed (Newton's was fully guaranteed) and you came back to my post saying the "12 milllion I spoke of " was the signing bonus Newton received. If your still confused , read posts 4 , 12 and 13. One of us is a little dizzy. Could be me as I'm getting a little old. No big deal as I think everyone is aware that the contract will be pretty much the same as Newton signed and it will happen soon.

It's likely both of us at this point.

His deal might end up being identical to Newton.. It might be slightly better but it's not going to be a huge increase.