Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew luck close to signing

Playoffs2013

I heard rumors of the numbers being the same as Cam Newton's 4 yr. $22 mil.

But I am sure all the other agents want Luck's agent to up that number a tad bit, something like 4 yrs. $24 mil. with $12 mil. guaranteed, or something like that. That way, there is a trickle down effect to the rest of round 1 picks as well.

Based on the new CBA, after year 4, I think the team has to make the choice of giving a 5th year salary option of the average of top 10 salaries at his position at that time (QB), this is the case for all first round picks.

But I am sure all the other agents want Luck's agent to up that number a tad bit, something like 4 yrs. $24 mil. with $12 mil. guaranteed, or something like that. That way, there is a trickle down effect to the rest of round 1 picks as well.

Based on the new CBA, after year 4, I think the team has to make the choice of giving a 5th year salary option of the average of top 10 salaries at his position at that time (QB), this is the case for all first round picks.

They can sign him to a an extension at that point to, but the 5th year option is one way to retain his rights at that point if an extension can't be worked out. That will be an expensive option year.

I just saw it on twitter

Just reporting what I see

I know, I just try to wait directtly fron the horses mouth himself (Irsay) but I also trust the NFL Network, we all have different sources we prefer for various reasons

Dont matter to me as long as they all get signed sooner or later although considering Fleener and Allen have both been at the OTA's that is seemingly weird but nothing to stress or worry about I'm sure at least yet

It will depend on if the cap renders a bit more money to the rookies. I thought I had read earlier that the 24 million you mention is close to the number he can receive. As far as the 12 mill guaranteed , that will be way off as the guarantted money has proportionally gone up. Newton's 22 million was fully guaranteed last year.

It will depend on if the cap renders a bit more money to the rookies. I thought I had read earlier that the 24 million you mention is close to the number he can receive. As far as the 12 mill guaranteed , that will be way off as the guarantted money has proportionally gone up. Newton's 22 million was fully guaranteed last year.

The 12 million that was mentioned is the signing bonus. Luck's deal whether it is 22 or 23 will likely be fully guaranteed like Newton's was, and I would say that the 12 million figure would likely be in the 14-15 range.

My understanding is the salary schedule is based on the total league revenue. And the NFL announced recently that the money taken in for 2011 was just about the same as 2010. So, the said the rookie pool payout would almost be identical.

I don't know how this impacts how much is upfront.... yes, I'm sure all of Luck's money will be guaranteed. I've read that Newton's was/is. The other fine print I'm sure is what's holding this up.... but, it's just a matter of time... same with Fleener and Allen.

Soon.... very soon.

NCF

The 12 million that was mentioned is the signing bonus. Luck's deal whether it is 22 or 23 will likely be fully guaranteed like Newton's was, and I would say that the 12 million figure would likely be in the 14-15 range.

Sam Bradford has to really consider himself lucky. I think he had $50M guaranteed. Those rookie salaries really were getting out of hand.

Yes he does. Extremely lucky.

I'm sure if Andrew is conservative and eats day old bread, he can get by on his paltry $23M.

He also has some type of degree to fall back on, but from what I understand it's one of those typical 'athlete degrees' from some backwoods school.

(Ah, to be young, smart, good looking, rich, athletic, and intelligent. A long time ago I used to be one of those.)

I'm sure if Andrew is conservative and eats day old bread, he can get by on his paltry $23M.

He also has some type of degree to fall back on, but from what I understand it's one of those typical 'athlete degrees' from some backwoods school.

(Ah, to be young, smart, good looking, rich, athletic, and intelligent. A long time ago I used to be one of those.)

He's not going to have to take a coupon class at the local community college by any means, but there is a huge difference in 14-15 up front or 24 guaranteed overall and what would likely be in the 60 range at this point.

if im not mistaken RG3 contract is 21 or 22 million for 4 years. so Luck may be getting just a couple million more

The Green Bay Packers had only one losing season (1933) from 1921 to 1947. The Chicago Bears had only one losing season (1929) from 1920 to 1944. I think The colts are going to break another record with a little (luck)

That would be pretty impressive since we had three with Manning and two while we were breaking all the other records (1998, 2001, 2011)

Manning had 2 losing seasons. 98 & 01. I'm not sure if you meant 2011 when you typed 2010 or what.

Fixed my typo, back to the main point I didn't say Manning had three losing seasons. I said the COLTS had three losing seasons with Manning as in while they had him on the roster. I know he didn't play last year and people like to say to pretend like that didn't count but when you are talking about a record like the one the guy brought up it does. Losing seasons happen even if you have an all world QB who is smashing other winning records. Personally i would be shocked if anyone touches the Bears or Packers seasons with one losing season record but I would be happy to see it if the Colts do it but I don't think it's likely.

Fixed my typo, back to the main point I didn't say Manning had three losing seasons. I said the COLTS had three losing seasons with Manning as in while they had him on the roster. I know he didn't play last year and people like to say to pretend like that didn't count but when you are talking about a record like the one the guy brought up it does. Losing seasons happen even if you have an all world QB who is smashing other winning records. Personally i would be shocked if anyone touches the Bears or Packers seasons with one losing season record but I would be happy to see it if the Colts do it but I don't think it's likely.

Oh okay. Well neither one of those are even close to being modern day football. I'd compare that to pitching records in baseball that will never be touched.

To me the best run from a team would be San Fran's 10+ win seasons, I think it is at 16. Dallas had a long run like that too, and the Colts were well on their way into a long streak of their own and New England is doing the same with 9 years.

I don't think it is likely either. That was a far different era.

Yes It is a long shot.But, with a little (luck) it can be done if we go at least 8-8 this year.If not all bets are off.

Even if we did that we would still have to go something like another another 15 years without having another losing season to break that record. That would mean Luck would have to never have a losing season in his career. Even the great Peyton Manning couldn't pull that off. Losing seasons happen and sometimes it's for reasons beyond your superstar's control. I'd love to see it but I wouldn't hold my breath. If Luck pulls that off though people are going to be saying Peyton who?

I was responding to a poster stating that only 12 million of the contract was guaranteed. Don't know what you are the above means , but in any event I belive the Newtons signing bonus was around 14.5 million and not the 12 you mention.

I was responding to a poster stating that only 12 million of the contract was guaranteed. Don't know what you are the above means , but in any event I belive the Newtons signing bonus was around 14.5 million and not the 12 you mention.

I was quoting the 12 from your post. So I'm not sure where it came from. I didn't create it or supply it.

I didn't double check Newton's deal in my response to you but yes it is slightly higher 14.518 million. At this point I would say Luck's will slightly exceed it, but not at my previous projections because the cap did not make the anticipated jump.

You've lost me with the bolded part.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us -- me included -- knows what the new CBA reads on this...

It used to be the signing bonus was guaranteed and the year by year contract was not. But I've read that all of Newton's 22 Mill was guaranteed. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I've read.

The NFLPA **may** have gotten more guarantees for some rookie deals in exchange for smaller contracts. Dunno... I'll try to find out in the next week or so. Don't know if I can, but I can try.

But either way, we're all kinda grasping at straws here.... all we know is the signing bonus is guaranteed. How much of the 4-year contract is is *not* known.

But as SMonroe quipped, (paraphrasing) Luck is going to be able to squeak out a living until his 2nd contract, one way or another....

NCF

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us -- me included -- knows what the new CBA reads on this...

It used to be the signing bonus was guaranteed and the year by year contract was not. But I've read that all of Newton's 22 Mill was guaranteed. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I've read.

The NFLPA **may** have gotten more guarantees for some rookie deals in exchange for smaller contracts. Dunno... I'll try to find out in the next week or so. Don't know if I can, but I can try.

But either way, we're all kinda grasping at straws here.... all we know is the signing bonus is guaranteed. How much of the 4-year contract is is *not* known.

But as SMonroe quipped, (paraphrasing) Luck is going to be able to squeak out a living until his 2nd contract, one way or another....

NCF

Early on it was perceived that the 2012 cap would increase 3-5%, and it was likely that increase would be passed on to the rookies receiving a 3-5% bump over 2011's rookie contracts. Since the cap did't increase that much, the increase will be more moderate likely 1-2% over last years rookie deals, so Luck will likely be getting around a 15million signing bonus and a 4 year deal worth 22-24 million.

Newton and most of the top pick last years received 100% guaranteed contracts. So if they are great, then they earn them. If they were to go down the Ryan Leaf road, then they are still guaranteed to be paid, but the team would be looking in another direction.

I did read where part of the hang up with the top deals is that teams are wanting to include an offset clause if they were to cut a player prior to the 4 years. He could then sign with a new team and essientially double dip, and the teams are wanting to be protected a lot like they are with coaches when they are fired. They will still pay the coach x million, but they offset that against their future job.

Using Caldwell as an example, he had a year left on his moronic contract. I don't know the specific #'s but assume he was to be paid 2million a year. He would still be paid that 2 million for 2012 if he didn't work in the NFL in 2012. Since he took a job as QB coach with the Ravens lets assume he's making 500k. He will earn 500k from the Ravens and 1.5 million from the Colts, he won't be double dipping at 2 million from the Colts and 500k from the Ravens.

They are trying to prevent a player from earning x base salary from the team that drafted him and an additional salary from whatever team gives the player a 2nd chance.

Some might balk at having that language included which is likely the main hold up because other than that there isn't much to negotiate.

Good posts, FJC....

I went to a search engine and keyed in.... "2011 NFLPA collective bargaining agreement'....

First on the list was actually from the NFLPA itself.... the whole agreement (more than 250 pages) is up and readable on their website in PDF format. But, of course, it's written by lawyers FOR lawyers and after a while my head was spinning....

Lots of interesting things there.... but i couldn't find language that answered my questions about guaranteed contracts. Don't get me wrong, there are sections in there on that issue, but I couldn't make heads or tails as to what they were saying.

I know, I know, Big Shock..... I'm *NOT* a lawyer.... :omg:

But between you and me I think we're reasonably close to the truth.... always a dangerous assumption, I know!

This week, hopefully we get Luck, Fleener and Allen signed, sealed and delivered.... and then, away we go....

NCF

Good posts, FJC....

I went to a search engine and keyed in.... "2011 NFLPA collective bargaining agreement'....

First on the list was actually from the NFLPA itself.... the whole agreement (more than 250 pages) is up and readable on their website in PDF format. But, of course, it's written by lawyers FOR lawyers and after a while my head was spinning....

Lots of interesting things there.... but i couldn't find language that answered my questions about guaranteed contracts. Don't get me wrong, there are sections in there on that issue, but I couldn't make heads or tails as to what they were saying.

I know, I know, Big Shock..... I'm *NOT* a lawyer.... :omg:

But between you and me I think we're reasonably close to the truth.... always a dangerous assumption, I know!

This week, hopefully we get Luck, Fleener and Allen signed, sealed and delivered.... and then, away we go....

NCF

Yeah the CBA has been published for quite some time.

What specifically is your question?

Yeah the CBA has been published for quite some time.

What specifically is your question?

I was trying to find language that said something like....

"All signing bonuses are guaranteed...." or..... "all signing bonuses are guaranteed, unless specifically stated otherwise..." Something that might off some clarity on what is, or isn't, guaranteed. And, I was looking for something that might say how much of all rookie contracts are guaranteed?

Something that might explain that every penny of Cam Newton's deal was guaranteed because of (A) the new CBA, **OR** (B) every penny of Cam's contract was guaranteed simply because the Panthers want to make Newton as happy as possible so when it comes time to do his 2nd deal, he's happy enough to stay.

Something like that..........

But, while it may be buried somewhere in the endless pages, I couldn't find it....

Thank God I'm not an agent trying to represent a player. I'd have to hire someone to explain to me what the CBA allows....!

NCF