Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis move to OLB

TKnight24

Yea the ravens use Terrell Suggs almost exclusively as a rusher and yes Houston did the same thing with Mario. However, we don't have just one question mark in coverage, we have two. I'm equally as worried about Mathis as I am Freeney. I look at our scheme and I wonder: If Freeney is extremely liable in coverage we will need to put his hand in the dirt and rush him almost every play. But if Mathis is the exact same type of player as Freeney, we need to rush him every play as well. Then aren't we essentially running a 5-2 every play. Yea we're gonna get to the QB often but we're going to be awful in coverage and give up some really big run plays as well.

.......this is my concern as well. And this: Freeney and Mathis both wore down the opposing tackles by coming on every play. And they always came at the same time. That was such a huge part of their success. Many of their sacks and strips came later in the game when the tackles were exausted.... now, every time Mathis and/or Freeney cover they spend energy and the O-line gets a breather....not saying it can't work, just a concern I have...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People develop strange impressions of schemes they aren't very familiar with. Any serious coverage responsibility is obviously going to fall to the ILBs, safeties, and cornerbacks. OLBs really just need to be able to cover the flats, short zones, and backs. They don't always make it look as easy as it sounds, though.

I'm not calling it easy; it's obviously going to be a challenge for guys who've never done it at this level. But it's not what people are making it out to be. It doesn't matter what personnel is on the field, you're not going to see Freeney and Mathis covering anyone downfield with any regularity. For our coaches to do so would be foolish, and I don't think they're foolish.

How can you say we play a hybrid and then turn around and say Freeney doesn't fit what we do? Oh, you don't rush the QB in a hybrid? The great CB's don't like to tackle, but they provide a terrific service at what they are good at and what they are good at is a premium to have in the NFL. Well, rushing the QB is a premium as well and you don't just give those guys away.