Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fox likes Broncos home field advantage

oldunclemark

Fox, Elway Chat with Ticket Holders

Posted May 15, 2012

By Gray Caldwell (Broncos.com)

Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway and Head Coach John Fox talked with more than 6,000 season ticket holders on a conference call Tuesday.

120515_call_inside.jpg

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Tuesday, Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway and Head Coach John Fox hosted a conference call with more than 6,000 Broncos season ticket holders.

And both men thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

"They always have great questions," Elway said. "It's nice to be able to get closer to them and to communicate with them directly. I always enjoy doing that."

The call lasted a little more than an hour, with Elway and Fox answering questions on topics ranging from quarterback Peyton Manningicon-article-link.gif to the 2012 NFL Draft class, pressure from the defensive line and how the team can stay level throughout the season.

Below are some highlights from the call:

Elway, on the draft:

"I think we did well. The bottom line is you never know until you get out there and see them play and see them develop over time. But I think that we hit some areas of need with some very good football players. Derek Wolfeicon-article-link.gif, with our first pick in the second round, is a tenacious guy that has great talent and can rush the passer and do a lot of things for us. We're excited to have him on board -- it was an area of need for us. Brock Osweilericon-article-link.gif, obviously, is a very athletic, young quarterback that we think is in a good situation to come in and learn and see how it's done by the master in Peyton Manning. We have high expectations for him in the future. Ronnie Hillmanicon-article-link.gif is a big-time back that can make some big plays. Any time he touches the ball, he has the potential to go the distance. He's a big-play threat we didn't have out of the backfield. Omar Boldenicon-article-link.gif, very talented guy that missed last season with a bad knee, but I think he's a first- or second-round talent, so we were excited he was still there in the fourth. Philip Blakeicon-article-link.gif, a center/guard, a big, physical guy inside, 320 pounds from Baylor, will add some depth and competition for us inside with the guards and centers. Malik Jacksonicon-article-link.gif, a defensive end from Tennessee, is a big, long, rangy athlete that we think has a huge upside to him. Then Danny Trevathanicon-article-link.gif out of Kentucky was a tackling machine in Kentucky. He played the Will linebacker. We're excited with the whole class. These guys are all going to be contributors on our football team."

Fox, on altitude providing an advantage:

"I've gone on record as saying I think between the fans and the altitude, we might have the best home field advantage in the league. I think with the addition of Peyton Manning, who has a background of being capable of calling plays at the line with a no-huddle, that's something we could definitely use to our advantage, particularly early in games when opponents are trying to adjust to that altitude."

Elway, on drafting Wolfe:

"We had Derek targeted the whole time. That's why we thought that we could move back and pick up some value, some picks in the draft. … Derek was our target the whole time. We were a little bit nervous, because we'd heard he had been No. 1 on Baltimore's draft board, too, and we didn't know if he was going to get to us. But Derek was our pick the whole time. He was our target."

Elway, on drafting Osweiler:

"I hope that he sits back for four years and learns. When we looked at Brock, the ability to be able to pick up that type of quarterback, that I feel has a tremendous amount of upside, we felt like we got great value at that pick. It's always tough to pick a quarterback that you know is not going to play for you for a while, but we have high hopes for him in the future to where once Peyton decides to hang them up, that he's the guy in waiting that can keep us and we don't miss a beat. When Peyton decides to retire, we can continue to compete for world championships year-in and year-out. To be able to do that, you have to have a quarterback to do that. It's a perfect situation to where there's not the pressure for him to come in and start right away. He's not ready for that. But he's also going to learn from Peyton how things are done. I think it's a great learning experience for him to where we are set for the future and he's our guy for the future. Sometimes you have to sacrifice the short term for the long term, to draft a guy you believe can be that next guy for you. And that's Brock Osweiler."

The Broncos did well so far in the offseason and adding PM to the mix is something that I am sure will notch up the volume a bit, I hope they take cues from the Lucas Oil crowd and get "vewy vewy quiet" when on offense.