Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With All This Talk About Improving Our Backup Qb Situation....

Mouthfire

Putting painter and peyton in the same sentence is unholy.You keep singing the praises of this guy,why?Peyton was thrown into the fire,first practice on.

Peyton is not a religion he's a football player, that being said it only proves my point. Peyton had the whole offseason to prepare for the season yet he still threw up alot of eggs his rookie season, with time he became the player that he is. On the other hand Painter- no playtime with the 1st team, shoved into a game with a top ranked defense, goes the next game to play in a blizzard..... yea he's a horrible QB.

Im not singing praises of painter its just ridiculous to see so many fans bash a player after so little playtime.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton is not a religion he's a football player, that being said it only proves my point. Peyton had the whole offseason to prepare for the season yet he still threw up alot of eggs his rookie season, with time he became the player that he is. On the other hand Painter- no playtime with the 1st team, shoved into a game with a top ranked defense, goes the next game to play in a blizzard..... yea he's a horrible QB.

Im not singing praises of painter its just ridiculous to see so many fans bash a player after so little playtime.

You are singing his praises,as a matter of fact your the only one who is singing his praises.P.S to myself and others here peyton is a religion.Were just here to kneel at his altar.

You are singing his praises,as a matter of fact your the only one who is singing his praises.P.S to myself and others here peyton is a religion.Were just here to kneel at his altar.

You believe whatever you wanna believe, i like the colts as a whole all starters are equally liked by me, kneel to whoever you want as well that just sounds plain weird.

Its not his lack of playtime. Its his lack of development in key areas of fundamentals after a few years of practicing, scrimmaging and even seeing high level game action that is disturbing to so many.

2 years of being in NFL QB boot camp and he still looks raw as a rookie fresh off the bus. The guy has a pretty crappy mentor though. Maybe its that hack Manning that isn't capable of teaching the kid how to not get eaten by defenders while going through his progressions?

Honestly, I think our problem goes all the way back to when Peyton was drafted. Once Polian got his man he knew from that point on he would completely build the entire team around him. Polian basically did what the empire did in Star Wars and built the death star that was almost unbeatable other then this tiny little spot that if hit with a missile would totally destroy the thing.

Peyton is that little spot on our team. He goes down and the entire team will fall with him. Our offensive line is not built to be a running team. Without the threat of the passing game the running game will be even worse. The defense is built to play with a lead that our offense gets.

The last thing is our front office refuses to spend money on the back up spot because they know without Manning we are screwed. Painter and Sorgi have one thing in common and they are cheap. QBs the caliber of say Kerry Collins would not come as cheap as someone like Sorgi or Painter. Also, most solid back ups will not want to come here anyways because of how healthy Manning is. Most of them are still very competitive and want a chance to play. Why go to the Colts with Manning who is always healthy when you can go play for the Eagles or the Vikings who have guys who are not known for their health.

Ultimately we are just going to ride Peyton until the end and then probably blow it all up once he retires and start over.

Its not his lack of playtime. Its his lack of development in key areas of fundamentals after a few years of practicing, scrimmaging and even seeing high level game action that is disturbing to so many.

2 years of being in NFL QB boot camp and he still looks raw as a rookie fresh off the bus. The guy has a pretty crappy mentor though. Maybe its that hack Manning that isn't capable of teaching the kid how to not get eaten by defenders while going through his progressions?

Practice can only help so much and you know that, like i said earlier look at manning he had the whole offseason and training camp to learn the offense in his rookie year and come the regular season he still threw up eggs. Painter played two games and this is the one preseason everyones paying attention to him, its his first time playing like this with the starters i know the guy is gonna perform well. Even so late into mannings career he still manages to throw up some ducks like last year.

We have this talk every pre-season and every year by week 2 when things count and realize we have much bigger holes than the back up QB spot we stop caring about it till the next pre-season where we pretend like it's the worst thing in the world.

I agree with the idea that Peyton Manning IS our system on offense and we are a team that built with offense in mind that if something did happen to Peyton Manning unless we talked a guy like Aaron Rodgers into backing up Peyton Manning it doesn't matter who the back up is we are going to lose a lot of games. Keep in mind Peyton won not one but two league MVPs pretty much based on how important he is to the team. You don't lose a guy like that and over come it. You are pretty talking about the difference between 3-13 or 4-12 vs 2-14 or 1-15 if something happened to Peyton. Is that really worth losing a guy like Saturday or Clark for because that is what it would have cost us in years past? Even in a short term situation I don't think a big name back up would make that much of a difference we still lost of the games while Peyton was out. He's the one guy on the roster (maybe two depending on how you feel about Freeney) that next man up doesn't apply too.

We have this talk every pre-season and every year by week 2 when things count and realize we have much bigger holes than the back up QB spot we stop caring about it till the next pre-season where we pretend like it's the worst thing in the world.

except most years, Manning's status for opening day is not uncertain......

If Manning is healthy and ready to go, then whatever scrub is his back-up is much ado about nothing.

However...given the fact that it's almost certain Manning won't play in the pre-season his availabilty has to be questioned for opening day. In that case, the scrub back-up QB is a bit more important then in other years.

except most years, Manning's status for opening day is not uncertain......

If Manning is healthy and ready to go, then whatever scrub is his back-up is much ado about nothing.

However...given the fact that it's almost certain Manning won't play in the pre-season his availabilty has to be questioned for opening day. In that case, the scrub back-up QB is a bit more important then in other years.

except every year this is a hot topic...Peyton will play vs. the Texans.

I agree with the idea that Peyton Manning IS our system on offense and we are a team that built with offense in mind that if something did happen to Peyton Manning unless we talked a guy like Aaron Rodgers into backing up Peyton Manning it doesn't matter who the back up is we are going to lose a lot of games. Keep in mind Peyton won not one but two league MVPs pretty much based on how important he is to the team. You don't lose a guy like that and over come it. You are pretty talking about the difference between 3-13 or 4-12 vs 2-14 or 1-15 if something happened to Peyton. Is that really worth losing a guy like Saturday or Clark for because that is what it would have cost us in years past? Even in a short term situation I don't think a big name back up would make that much of a difference we still lost of the games while Peyton was out. He's the one guy on the roster (maybe two depending on how you feel about Freeney) that next man up doesn't apply too.

So you really think the colts would go 4-12 if peyton went down? I dont believe that not for one second, If peyton was to go down the colts would be forced to make radical decisions like maybe bring in players.... like they are already doing, bulk up the Oline for the run like they are already doing... This team has alot of talent this year and if peyton was to go down i dont see the colts being nothing under .500. Ppl need to realize that its not only peyton on this team theres 22 other starters and most of them are pretty darn good too.

So you really think the colts would go 4-12 if peyton went down? I dont believe that not for one second, If peyton was to go down the colts would be forced to make radical decisions like maybe bring in players.... like they are already doing, bulk up the Oline for the run like they are already doing... This team has alot of talent this year and if peyton was to go down i dont see the colts being nothing under .500. Ppl need to realize that its not only peyton on this team theres 22 other starters and most of them are pretty darn good too.

Yes I do, you don't win two MVP awards in this league and have many people feel you are the greatest player in the history of the league and be able to be over come if you go down unless you have another Hall of Famer sitting behind him. Teams can't make radical decisions in the middle of the season because there just aren't good players to go get in the middle of the season. They would be stuck with a team built to play around Peyton Manning and not have the heart and sole of our team there. The Colts aren't going to over come that.

Yeah, 4-12 sounds about right. 4-12, at best....

I'd be more optimistic if we had a dominant run game or stout defense to lean on. We don't. Our run game has been a perennial joke (honest to god), ranked nearly last every year. Our defense, even with Freeney and Mathis, has been middle-of-the pack, at best. I doubt you can fix all that in one single year if Manning goes down. If it were that easy, we'd have it all fixed already.

So yeah, I think that sounds about right.

I'd be more optimistic if we had a dominant run game or stout defense to lean on. We don't. Our run game has been a perennial joke (honest to god), ranked nearly last every year. Our defense, even with Freeney and Mathis, has been middle-of-the pack, at best. I doubt you can fix all that in one single year if Manning goes down. Otherwise, we'd have it all fixed already.

That's what I was going to say, the past couple of years we haven't been able to run the ball well, not stop the run well,and are okay best at pass defense, our special teams coverage and return units are a joke at best. The only thing we have ale to hang our hat on is that we have Peyton Manning and our passing game. That's what helped prove Peyton was so great, teams knew all we had was Peyton and being able to throw the ball and teams still couldn't stop him. Sorry no Peyton means really high draft pick the following year.

I'd be more optimistic if we had a dominant run game or stout defense to lean on. We don't. Our run game has been a perennial joke (honest to god), ranked nearly last every year. Our defense, even with Freeney and Mathis, has been middle-of-the pack, at best. I doubt you can fix all that in one single year if Manning goes down. If it were that easy, we'd have it all fixed already.

4-12 is optimistic at best.

This whole show is built around our QB. It would take 2 off-seasons to address the appropriate changes that would be required.

4-12 is optimistic at best.

This whole show is built around our QB. It would take 2 off-seasons to address the appropriate changes that would be required.

I threw 4-12 out there and that was implying we had a back up QB like Kerry Collins. More realistic with Painter would be 2-14 or 3-13 at best. I just threw it out there to show that having a vet back up QB wasn't going to change the end result that much.

Yes I do, you don't win two MVP awards in this league and have many people feel you are the greatest player in the history of the league and be able to be over come if you go down unless you have another Hall of Famer sitting behind him. Teams can't make radical decisions in the middle of the season because there just aren't good players to go get in the middle of the season. They would be stuck with a team built to play around Peyton Manning and not have the heart and sole of our team there. The Colts aren't going to over come that.

Tbh thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard, peyton would not be an MVP if it wasnt for his Wideouts and pass protection. Although that may have been true some years ago its not today not even close the colts on paper have a much better defense have a bulkier line and bigger backs, with an average QB the colts would still be over .500... Ppl give peyton way too much credit sometimes where's all that mvpness in the post season hmm what happens to it then?..... If you remember the ravens game in the playoffs when it was nothing but the defense and the running game carrying the team peyton was at best mediocre in that game... I believe the defense is much better than they were in that game today. Some fans just cant see the team going anywhere without peyton cause thats all they know is peyton................. DEFENSE wins championships... remember that ppl thats the truth there.

In my opinion 4 games would be tough,peyton is this team.Getting back to painter,when do you have to make some plays?I mean he has had 3 years and knows the system.I think if he was not the only back up qb who knew the system,he would have been cut.

@ Houston Texans

2 9/18 CLEVELAND BROWNS

3 9/25 PITTSBURGH STEELERS

4 10/3 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

5 10/9 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

6 10/16 @ Cincinnati Bengals

7 10/23 @ New Orleans Saints

8 10/30 @ Tennessee Titans

9 11/6 ATLANTA FALCONS 1:00 PM

10 11/13 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

11 11/20 BYE - none

12 11/27 CAROLINA PANTHERS

13 12/4 @ New England Patriots

14 12/11 @ Baltimore Ravens

15 12/18 TENNESSEE TITANS

16 12/22 HOUSTON TEXANS

17 1/1 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Automatic wins just cause of defense....

Browns, Bucs, Cheifs, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers

Now You look at the division games and you telling me the colts cant win none of those games without manning? lol smh. you ppl are mad.

@ Houston Texans

2 9/18 CLEVELAND BROWNS

3 9/25 PITTSBURGH STEELERS

4 10/3 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

5 10/9 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

6 10/16 @ Cincinnati Bengals

7 10/23 @ New Orleans Saints

8 10/30 @ Tennessee Titans

9 11/6 ATLANTA FALCONS 1:00 PM

10 11/13 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

11 11/20 BYE - none

12 11/27 CAROLINA PANTHERS

13 12/4 @ New England Patriots

14 12/11 @ Baltimore Ravens

15 12/18 TENNESSEE TITANS

16 12/22 HOUSTON TEXANS

17 1/1 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Automatic wins just cause of defense....

Browns, Bucs, Cheifs, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers

Now You look at the division games and you telling me the colts cant win none of those games without manning? lol smh. you ppl are mad.

dude,your tripping.Automatic wins because of our defense?Our defense can not win games on it's own,it is designed to play with a lead.Peyton get's us up early and freeney and mathis do the rest.

dude,your tripping.Automatic wins because of our defense?Our defense can not win games on it's own,it is designed to play with a lead.Peyton get's us up early and freeney and mathis do the rest.

Really is that how it happened in the Ravens game in the playoffs? As i recall the defense didnt need any lead during the superbowl run... Its obvious the defense is much better on paper. And come time for the Reg season the defense will look much better than it has in years.

Really is that how it happened in the Ravens game in the playoffs? As i recall the defense didnt need any lead during the superbowl run... Its obvious the defense is much better on paper. And come time for the Reg season the defense will look much better than it has in years.

wake up and smell the coffee, that was 4 years ago,were talking about now.P.S games are not played on paper ask the cowboys and redskins.I love this team but our d will not be an elite unit,and does not have to be for us to win a super bowl.If our d is in the middle somewhere,with our offense we will be tough to beat.

Not trying to get involved in this love fest.... but;

Why don't we look into Pryor? The kid is just trying to get into the NFL, and we have 7 mil cap space (not that we would us 7 mil on him, but we have a bit of space to play with). He was a good Ohio State QB, and could develop into a solid back up for us. Furthermore, he would be better than Painter because... lets be honest... Painter is color blind and can't tell the jerseys apart during pass plays.

Tbh thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard, peyton would not be an MVP if it wasnt for his Wideouts and pass protection. Although that may have been true some years ago its not today not even close the colts on paper have a much better defense have a bulkier line and bigger backs, with an average QB the colts would still be over .500... Ppl give peyton way too much credit sometimes where's all that mvpness in the post season hmm what happens to it then?..... If you remember the ravens game in the playoffs when it was nothing but the defense and the running game carrying the team peyton was at best mediocre in that game... I believe the defense is much better than they were in that game today. Some fans just cant see the team going anywhere without peyton cause thats all they know is peyton................. DEFENSE wins championships... remember that ppl thats the truth there.

Dude... I like you, but you're crazy.

Out of our receivers, I'm betting only Clark would be a world beater without Manning. Manning made Wayne... through hours and hours of personal work with him. The rest? Pedestrian at best.

Our pass protection? If our pass protection were so good, we would've just kept everyone from last year. CJ, gone... Diem, barely made this years team. Pollack, can't hold onto a starting job. Ditto for Devan, Richards, etc etc. Saturday is good, but on the decline. So which of those guys, exactly, is our elite all-pro pass protector?

With a decent veteran backup qb we could win a couple of games if peyton went down.Not for the season but for 4 games or so,maybe go 2-2 and not kill us.With the guy we have now that would be a pipedream.We have seen a guy like aj feeley have limited success with philly that one year, when mcnabb got hurt.So to say we should not try to improve the back up qb position is not very smart.Now is a guy like that available?

wake up and smell the coffee, that was 4 years ago,were talking about now.P.S games are not played on paper ask the cowboys and redskins.I love this team but our d will not be an elite unit,and does not have to be for us to win a super bowl.If our d is in the middle somewhere,with our offense we will be tough to beat.

And NOW the defense looks better than it did then, there's no denying that. they cowboys still end up above .500 dont they? if the defense was on the same level with the offense they would be elite. Everytime the colts have played great defense they have either went undefeated for a while like when they were the stingiest defense in one season and that time ppl were comparing them to the early bears team with singaltary and when they made it to the superbowl. If the line performs as well as i think it will this year there is no way they would be under .500 without manning, look at the new rules and all that how could you think they would be under .500 lol

Dude... I like you, but you're crazy.

Out of our receivers, I'm betting only Clark would be a world beater without Manning. Manning made Wayne... through hours and hours of personal work with him. The rest? Pedestrian at best.

Our pass protection? If our pass protection were so good, we would've just kept everyone from last year. CJ, gone... Diem, barely made this years team. Pollack, can't hold onto a starting job. Ditto for Devan, Richards, etc etc. Saturday is good, but on the decline. So which of those guys, exactly, is our elite all-pro pass protector?

Peyton did not MAKE reggie wayne, the guy was a beast at the U just like he did not make marvin harrison, peyton only makes them better. No one hasnt answered the question yet if peyton is this team then how come he is so less than average come the post season?

The colts were going to sign CJ but the vikings uped the price and he left for the money that was in an article some days ago, pollack is good in the passing game but lacks alot when it comes to run blocking saturday is still a stud and despites diem's false start issues and average pass blocking he can still handle some of the best pass rushers in the game.... soooo tbh out of all the ppl you said there the only starters the colts lost was CJ who left because he got a bigger offer. The line may not have been that great but they still gave manning time to find his target and there is no denying that.

With a decent veteran backup qb we could win a couple of games if peyton went down.Not for the season but for 4 games or so,maybe go 2-2 and not kill us.With the guy we have now that would be a pipedream.We have seen a guy like aj feeley have limited success with philly that one year, when mcnabb got hurt.So to say we should not try to improve the back up qb position is not very smart.Now is a guy like that available?

100% agree . . . these are my same thoughts on the backup QBs debate, and have always have been . . . for me the difference between the QBs in this leaque is only a game or two . . . and between a starting QB and a solid back-up perhaps 2-4 games over a 16 game season . . .

. . . and i think where the back-up would be beneficial would be when the starter goes down for just 3-4 games, a good back-up could get you 3-1 or at least 2-2, which would be better than a 3rd stringer that might go 1-3 or worst yet 0-4, and that additional loss or two might cost you a playoff spot . . .

so for me i think a solid backup is key 'cuase you never know if your QB might be out for a few games . . . i think last year's Eagles team is a good example of this . . .

so for me I have always thought that the colts are playing with fire without having a solid back-up . . . my two cents . . .

Tell that to the Browns, the last three times we've played them (all with Peyton) we've won low scoring games thanks to our defense. With that said I am not going to count on our defense to win games for us. To me their job is to keep the other team under 20. If they do that we should win every game we play.

Common sense?lol,That left the building many posts of yours,ago.I am a fan but i leave my pom-poms home and give a honest overview of the team.You should practice that.

Honest overview? you just stated your opinions which most fans here have that i think is ridiculous, this is not the raiders. the colts defense are always among the fewest in points allowed now with the good news from nevis and the addition of tommie harris and ernie sims with jamal anderson aaaaannnnd tyler brayton the colts have a much better chance of being a top tier defense than any other year even when they had that great defensive year. like i said your opinions are horrible if you were talking about the raiders or maybe the rams ok but your not.

Painter is better hands down and you will see that come friday. Painter over Soggy all day.

Painter's lighting it up tonight....

5 - 10, 40 YTD and 1 whole 1st down...of course, his QB rating is actually an improvement at 60.4 since he's managed to avoid throwing any picks.

Painter's lighting it up tonight....

5 - 10, 40 YTD and 1 whole 1st down...of course, his QB rating is actually an improvement at 60.4 since he's managed to avoid throwing any picks.

lol yea i was looking at the game, and i gotta say painter didnt look too comfortable in that pocket.