Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson day to day with abdominal, oblique injuries

1959Colts

Colt Drives in 2nd Half

Drive 1 (3 plays Punt). Flacco unable to run for 1st down.

Drive 2 (3 plays unable to get first down) Gay misses 54 yard field goal. (Flacco sacked because he  cannot move)

Drive 3 Best drive (11 plays) Flacco was 4-8 TD pass to Ogletree.

Drive 4 9 plays 7 runs Gay makes 35 yard FG.

Drive 5 Flacco sacked again and incomplete on only pass

Small amount of Offensive movement. No big plays. There is only one good drive. 

AR had two drives

Drive 1, 8 plays TD

Drive 2 8 plays to the 4 yard line. (injured Flacco comes in throws 4 yd td pass) (on this drive AR is 2 for 2 passing for 40 yards and had the 14 yd run where he should have slid after 10 yards (he fumbled).

A much more dynamic offense with AR. Flacco is a good backup.

• Like 1

We should never be playing Flacco if the reason is "we have a better chance of winning".

Flacco is not the long-term answer.  AR is either the long-term answer, or he's not the answer at all.  And the only way to know this is to play him and play him and play him.  He needs to be developed.  Any time spent starting Flacco just delays AR's development.  AR has to continue to play until he either achieves the level he's capable of or busts out.

AR needs to play unless he can't.

Flacco needs to not play unless he must.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JMichael557 said:

Colt Drives in 2nd Half

Drive 1 (3 plays Punt). Flacco unable to run for 1st down.

Drive 2 (3 plays unable to get first down) Gay misses 54 yard field goal. (Flacco sacked because he  cannot move)

Drive 3 Best drive (11 plays) Flacco was 4-8 TD pass to Ogletree.

Drive 4 9 plays 7 runs Gay makes 35 yard FG.

Drive 5 Flacco sacked again and incomplete on only pass

Small amount of Offensive movement. No big plays. There is only one good drive. 

AR had two drives

Drive 1, 8 plays TD

Drive 2 8 plays to the 4 yard line. (injured Flacco comes in throws 4 yd td pass) (on this drive AR is 2 for 2 passing for 40 yards and had the 14 yd run where he should have slid after 10 yards (he fumbled).

A much more dynamic offense with AR. Flacco is a good backup.

Not disagreeing about Flacco.  Have a question. is it fair to remove the plays made by AR when he gets hurt, or when he fumbles?   I mean, you would not tell a player to score a TD and get concussed.  Or run 25 yards and fumble, and get hurt.

Just trying to be fair.  Is it okay to call Flacco getting sacked a negative play, but call the plays that AR got hurt on a favorable "dynamic" offense?   I know you are assuming that we should take the good part of the dynamic play and hope the negative part goes away, but that hasn't demonstrated to be the case yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Not disagreeing about Flacco.  Have a question. is it fair to remove the plays made by AR when he gets hurt, or when he fumbles?   I mean, you would not tell a player to score a TD and get concussed.  Or run 25 yards and fumble, and get hurt.

Just trying to be fair.  Is it okay to call Flacco getting sacked a negative play, but call the plays that AR got hurt on a favorable "dynamic" offense?   I know you are assuming that we should take the good part of the dynamic play and hope the negative part goes away, but that hasn't demonstrated to be the case yet. 

I agree with you 100%. It is frustrating that AR is unwilling or the coaches are reluctant to force him to slide or give himself up on plays. On the play he was injured he made the 1st down marker so all he has to do was go down. He did not need the extra 5 years. After the game, he said it is just football. That is not a very smart comment. I am hoping that Shane did not put him back in as a "lesson". IE if you are going to run the ball and not slide then you are not going to play. If he does not learn this he will not last. He is too big to be a running back that can avoid big hits in traffic. He cannot put himself in a position where defenders can take running shots at this body. Same with his footwork on passing. When he sets his feet he can make throws that no one else in the league can make. When he is sloppy he misses easy completions. So the coaches need to be more demanding in all of these areas.  

Right now it all appears to be more mental than physical. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

On the play he was injured he made the 1st down marker so all he has to do was go down. He did not need the extra 5 years. After the game, he said it is just football. That is not a very smart comment.

Yeah, in that situation, it was just dumb to not slide.  And his comment sounded more like an excuse than a reason.

Question, does he know how to slide?   That's not a joke.   Some "athletes" can't slide naturally very well, and its a learned skill.

23 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Flacco should remain starter all year.  

Flacco did a decent job when called upon vs Pittsburgh. However, I believe, should Flacco remain at QB, the opposing defenses will bring heavy pass rush, which our o-line will not be able to contain, resulting in Flacco faltering.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, in that situation, it was just dumb to not slide.  And his comment sounded more like an excuse than a reason.

Question, does he know how to slide?   That's not a joke.   Some "athletes" can't slide naturally very well, and its a learned skill.

I get the sense AR has not yet perfected that art.