Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly extension?

Anyone else expecting a Ryan Kelly extension during training camp?  I am.  He wants to keep playing and he’s playing great.  An extension would create cap space too.  I know they drafted Bortolini hoping he’s the future but we are in win now mode and Kelly is such an important piece to the OL.  I can see Ballard extending him before the start of the season.  Buckner and Stewart were both 30 when extended.  I think he will extend him.

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Anyone else expecting a Ryan Kelly extension during training camp?  I am.  He wants to keep playing and he’s playing great.  An extension would create cap space too.  I know they drafted Bortolini hoping he’s the future but we are in win now mode and Kelly is such an important piece to the OL.  I can see Ballard extending him before the start of the season.  Buckner and Stewart were both 30 when extended.  I think he will extend him.

To be honest no, you got to be realistic his replacement was drafted pretty high. You don’t have a guy like that sitting on the bench being a career backup. Also Kelly is up there in age and his body only has so many seasons left in the tank. Tbh I fully expect Kelly to retire at seasons end. The Colts will get younger at Center and save on cap by not extending him. Keep in mind they need to prepare for several big contracts that are to come. 

5 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

To be honest no, you got to be realistic his replacement was drafted pretty high. You don’t have a guy like that sitting on the bench being a career backup. Also Kelly is up there in age and his body only has so many seasons left in the tank. Tbh I fully expect Kelly to retire at seasons end. The Colts will get younger at Center and save on cap by not extending him. Keep in mind they need to prepare for several big contracts that are to come. 

I see your point but Jason Kelce just retired at age 36 from the World Champions.  Many good OL play well into their mid 30’s. The Colts would save cap space by extending him just like they did with Buckner.  Two years.  I actually could see a contract structured like Buckners but half the number give or take.  I’m not worried about future contracts at this point.  AR is years away and he’s the big one.  Bortolini sitting and learning for a few years doesn’t regulate him to being a career backup.  Just makes him hopefully ready.  I’m not saying it’s going to happen but it wouldn’t surprise me.  I think Ballard has extended players during camp in the past if I’m not mistaken.  Either way I’m glad he’s returning this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I see your point but Jason Kelce just retired at age 36 from the World Champions.  Many good OL play well into their mid 30’s. The Colts would save cap space by extending him just like they did with Buckner.  Two years.  I actually could see a contract structured like Buckners but half the number give or take.  I’m not worried about future contracts at this point.  AR is years away and he’s the big one.  Bortolini sitting and learning for a few years doesn’t regulate him to being a career backup.  Just makes him hopefully ready.  I’m not saying it’s going to happen but it wouldn’t surprise me.  I think Ballard has extended players during camp in the past if I’m not mistaken.  Either way I’m glad he’s returning this year.

Respectfully let’s not compare Kelly to Kelce. I am also glad that Kelly is healthy and is playing this season and has regained form as his 2021 & 2022 season left a lot to be desired. He is going into his 9th season and has a cap hit of $14,625,000 this season. There are several other players due for an extension in the upcoming offseason. Dayo , Speed, Granson, Blackmon, Flowers, Fries & French should they choose. You have to ask your what will his next contract look like if they do extend him? There are a lot of intangibles.

• Like 1

Really hard to say with Kelly. Obviously the team loves him and I’m sure teammates do as well. I feel he played great last year and was a top center. At his age it could drop off at any time or he could have a 2-3 more great years.  I enjoy having him on the team and he may be the longest tenured player on the team.  I’m guessing the team lets him play until he is ready to hang it up. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 1:32 AM, ProblChld32 said:

FWIW:   Kelly was asked about possible retirement I think sometime last December….   And he literally laughed at the reporters who asked.  Said he had no interest or intention to retire.  

I wasn’t sure if you were aware if this and just wanted to share.  

I think there are two equally strong and compelling arguments.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelly is or isn’t extended.  

Kelly had a very good year last year (23)

But both his 22 and 21 seasons were less successful.  

His 23 season graded in the mid to upper 70’s.   His 22 season his grades were in the mid to upper 60’s.  And his 21 season his grades were in the upper 50’s.  

Now those two years were impacted by injuries.  You can see how his score jumped when given health.  

I’m of the opinion that 24 will be Kelly’s last year as a Colt.  Bortolini would take over the year after.

And that 25 will be Smiths last year.  I think our 25 first round pick will be a RT and replace Smith in 26.  

But both are guesses and I could easily be wrong. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Respectfully let’s not compare Kelly to Kelce. I am also glad that Kelly is healthy and is playing this season and has regained form as his 2021 & 2022 season left a lot to be desired. He is going into his 9th season and has a cap hit of $14,625,000 this season. There are several other players due for an extension in the upcoming offseason. Dayo , Speed, Granson, Blackmon, Flowers, Fries & French should they choose. You have to ask your what will his next contract look like if they do extend him? There are a lot of intangibles.

I think his cap hit this year could be one of the reasons they extend him.  Save cap space like they did with Buckner and structure it the same way.  Easy to do and you extend an excellent player who wants to be here.  Those players you mentioned for extensions will have to earn them this year.  If they do I don’t think they are going to be exorbitant and non manageable.  The Colts do a great job managing the cap.  

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Kelly was asked about possible retirement I think sometime last December….   And he literally laughed at the reporters who asked.  Said he had no interest or intention to retire.  

I wasn’t sure if you were aware if this and just wanted to share.  

He didn’t just laugh the got legit mad that the rumors keep coming up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Creekside said:

I hope there is a first round talent in the '25 draft who can give the Colts a great first four years like Kelly did.

It may be too soon to know for sure…. But I think Kelly’s replacement is Bortolini in 25.

I think Goncalves is the potential replacement for Fries and can fill in elsewhere in a pinch.   And my pure guess is that next April the Colts draft a RT and he is a backup for one year before taking over for Smith in 26.   Again, only a hunch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may be too soon to know for sure…. But I think Kelly’s replacement is Bortolini in 25.

I think Goncalves is the potential replacement for Fries and can fill in elsewhere in a pinch.   And my pure guess is that next April the Colts draft a RT and he is a backup for one year before taking over for Smith in 26.   Again, only a hunch. 

I have the same feeling though I hope the '25 pick can play both OT positions, not too greedy, lol!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, ProblChld32 said:

Chuckle. The subject was age. And yes Kelly could possibly play at his quality level till 36. He showed last season that the arm injury that held him back for most of two seasons is in the past. 

And there is a good possibility that none of the players you list will be back next season. I do hope we can keep Dayo.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:13 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think there are two equally strong and compelling arguments.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelly is or isn’t extended.  

Kelly had a very good year last year (23)

But both his 22 and 21 seasons were less successful.  

His 23 season graded in the mid to upper 70’s.   His 22 season his grades were in the mid to upper 60’s.  And his 21 season his grades were in the upper 50’s.  

Now those two years were impacted by injuries.  You can see how his score jumped when given health.  

I’m of the opinion that 24 will be Kelly’s last year as a Colt.  Bortolini would take over the year after.

And that 25 will be Smiths last year.  I think our 25 first round pick will be a RT and replace Smith in 26.  

But both are guesses and I could easily be wrong. 

As an addition, let's not forget that '21 was also affected by injury to Quenton Nelson.  During those games where we had a grossly subpar replacement at LG, Kelly had to make up for the poor play to his left.  I'm sure we all remember play after play after play that year when the defense ran a simple stunt, and the DE ran almost unopposed through the LG/C gap.  Stuff of nightmares!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1