Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos to Add Ex Stanford Head Coach Shaw to Front Office

RollerColt

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Well….   I think Shaw has an eye for talent.  What he doesn’t have is a feel for proper play calling unless he has a huge talent advantage over his opponent.   Examples would be Luck and McCaffrey.  

The surprise for me is that I thought Shaw would be happy being an analyst for the NFL Network.  I thought at his age, mid-50’s, he’d want to stay on the West Coast and the Bay Area where his wife loves living.  He’d be living the good life!  

So..   the Stanford Community is wondering if Shaw might do his job via being remote and zoom.  Honestly, I doubt it.   I’ve read that Shaw and Payton have a friendship that goes way back to when both were young NFL Assistants just starting their careers on the same team. 

It may just be that Shaw has an itch that only being back in the NFL world can truly scratch.   Some people want the juice.  They want to compete at the highest level.  

I can tell you, Shaw is NOT doing it for the money.  He has made a small fortune.  Serious money.  So I wish him Luck, except when it involves the Colts.  

Sorry for such a loooong answer!   :peek:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….   I think Shaw has an eye for talent.  What he doesn’t have is a feel for proper play calling unless he has a huge talent advantage over his opponent.   Examples would be Luck and McCaffrey.  

The surprise for me is that I thought Shaw would be happy being an analyst for the NFL Network.  I thought at his age, mid-50’s, he’d want to stay on the West Coast and the Bay Area where his wife loves living.  He’d be living the good life!  

So..   the Stanford Community is wondering if Shaw might do his job via being remote and zoom.  Honestly, I doubt it.   I’ve read that Shaw and Payton have a friendship that goes way back to when both were young NFL Assistants just starting their careers on the same team. 

It may just be that Shaw has an itch that only being back in the NFL world can truly scratch.   Some people want the juice.  They want to compete at the highest level.  

I can tell you, Shaw is NOT doing it for the money.  He has made a small fortune.  Serious money.  So I wish him Luck, except when it involves the Colts.  

Sorry for such a loooong answer!   :peek:

Never apologize for your thoughts! That’s exactly why I picked your brain a bit on this subject, because if anyone knows him on this site it’s definitely you! Much appreciated response!

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:28 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I thought Shaw's best years were with Kevin Hogan at QB.

I think he did a poor job at recruiting during his last few years.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I thought Shaw's best years were with Kevin Hogan at QB.

I think he did a poor job at recruiting during his last few years.

Shaw did do a very poor job of recruiting his last few years which infuriated a good part of the fan base.  They were happy to see him retire early, though he left with a very generous golden parachute which made many fans even angrier.   

As for the Hogan years, yes they were very good.  But not primarily due to Hogan who was a nice college level quarterback. 

Hogan was supported by (A) Christian McCaffrey and (B) the most talented Stanford recruits in school history.  Including an OL with two future 1st round draft picks on it plus other very good talent.  And (C) some of the best defensive players Stanford ever recruited.   The team was as loaded as Stanford can get.  Hogan just had to be good, there was rarely pressure for him to be great. 

Someday….  (If anyone is interested)   Perhaps this off-season, I’ll tell you some great Stanford Sports stories.  The school is an odd mix of strange decisions concerning football and other sports plus some decisions that are both good and infuriating.  Most days it’s easy to be a Stanford fan.  But somedays the school makes it so hard.   Harder than they need to.   

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 6:58 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Shaw did do a very poor job of recruiting his last few years which infuriated a good part of the fan base.  They were happy to see him retire early, though he left with a very generous golden parachute which made many fans even angrier.   

As for the Hogan years, yes they were very good.  But not primarily due to Hogan who was a nice college level quarterback. 

Hogan was supported by (A) Christian McCaffrey and (B) the most talented Stanford recruits in school history.  Including an OL with two future 1st round draft picks on it plus other very good talent.  And (C) some of the best defensive players Stanford ever recruited.   The team was as loaded as Stanford can get.  Hogan just had to be good, there was rarely pressure for him to be great. 

Someday….  (If anyone is interested)   Perhaps this off-season, I’ll tell you some great Stanford Sports stories.  The school is an odd mix of strange decisions concerning football and other sports plus some decisions that are both good and infuriating.  Most days it’s easy to be a Stanford fan.  But somedays the school makes it so hard.   Harder than they need to.   

Yes, I know. The Stanford teams  when Hogan was the starting QB were full of top recruits on offense and defense. It was so much fun being a fan then. I'm not as big a fan of Stanford as you are. Being on the East Coast makes it hard to follow them as much as I used to.

Overall, I am becoming less and less interested in sports. For over 20 years, I used to listen to sports radio whenever I had free time.  I used to follow tennis, golf, baseball, college basketball, a little NBA and NHL as well as NFL and college football. I once went to 20+ baseball games in a year.  The only sport I still follow religiously now is NFL football. I try to follow my favorite baseball team, the Mets, but not enough. I attribute my loss of interest to there being too much change and movement of players, coaches, teams, conferences, etc. Stanford is now part of the ACC! My goodness! (Shaking my head) I don't like all these changes in conferences.

I was a big fan of Ted Leyland, Stanford's former athletic director many years ago. It saddened me when Leyland left Stanford to go to the University of Pacific which was his alma mater. I see he retired. He hired Buddy Teevens who died last year. Back in those days, I followed Stanford football a lot more closely. They were not great years but I loved rooting for players who also excelled in the classroom. :)

TL;DR 😉

• Like 2