Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy 500 who you picking ?

Rick Mears or maybe Al Unser Jr when it really mattered. I have no idea who is even in it now days. Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal. I didn't miss a race from 1991-2004, partied all weekend from Friday-Monday, stayed at my friends house that had a house behind the track every year. Ate barbecue, drink loads of beer, walked up and down Georgetown. Then things started to change, race wasn't the same, people were different; police got stricter, and they would just arrest people over nonsense, women used to even flash back in the 90's and it was left alone because that was our Mardi Gras. 1 time a year, a buddy of mine got arrested the last race I went too for a silly PI because he was stumbling around like 100's of others were, when I told police my group will just get him home, cop threaten to arrest me, at that point we had a stare down and I walked away. That was my of saying goodbye. Now I am at home, avoid the crowds and could give 2 craps about racing. Been like that since 2004. I remember when Mears won in 1991, he became the Joe Montana of racing. I was there.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rick Mears or maybe Al Unser Jr when it really mattered. I have no idea who is even in it now days. Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal. I didn't miss a race from 1991-2004, partied all weekend from Friday-Monday, stayed at my friends house that had a house behind the track every year. Ate barbecue, drink loads of beer, walked up and down Georgetown. Then things started to change, race wasn't the same, people were different; police got stricter, and they would just arrest people over nonsense, women used to even flash back in the 90's and it was left alone because that was our Mardi Gras. 1 time a year, a buddy of mine got arrested the last race I went too for a silly PI because he was stumbling around like 100's of others were, when I told police my group will just get him home, cop threaten to arrest me, at that point we had a stare down and I walked away. That was my of saying goodbye. Now I am at home, avoid the crowds and could give 2 craps about racing. Been like that since 2004. I remember when Mears won in 1991, he became the Joe Montana of racing. I was there.

I Loved Mears he was the best at the Indy 500,,,actually have a Casey Mears t shirt because followed him closely in Nascar because of Rick....I used to not watch tv all day to avoid hearing result because race was tape delayed and shown in prime time on ABC, was hard to not get spoiler update by accident.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is on NBC 13. I am actually watching it now. Nothing else is on. I really have no dog in the fight, just want to see a great finish. AJ Foyt is track side, dude is 89 years old and still going strong :strong:.

I have an autographed old school picture of him hanging in my garage!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Newgarden did some nifty trickery, great driver. Back to Back! 

Amazing last 20 laps, thise last 5 wow....well earned. Pato O Ward more heartbreak, hopefully he gets his down the line.

• Like 1

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

Amazing last 20 laps, thise last 5 wow....well earned. Pato O Ward more heartbreak, hopefully he gets his down the line.

I thought Ward had it won, then Newgarden just showed his greatness. Ward drove a great race. Finishing 2nd in the biggest race in the world is still amazing.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought Ward had it won, then Newgarden just showed his greatness. Ward drove a great race. Finishing 2nd in the biggest race in the world is still amazing.

Yeah placing 2nd for 3 years out of 4 is something else.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

That was a great finish.

Yeah it was. Glad I tuned in, great race and we have had the Pacers playing in the Final 4. This has been a wild weekend here with nearly 300,000 people in town. I live close to the track. My area is full of people partying still lmao 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That race was well worth the delay! Lots of duels and back and forths. Good strategies by Ward and Newgarden at the second half of the race. Patience paid off!

Great weekend overall, maybe the Pacers will win tomorrow for craps and giggles, just to prolong the series to make Celtics fans mad haha 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great weekend overall, maybe the Pacers will win tomorrow for craps and giggles, just to prolong the series to make Celtics fans mad haha 

I’m all for it!

• Like 1

Pato has been my favorite driver for a couple of years now. I got to experience this 500 almost fully. I was at almost every practice, I had a badge to get back in the garage, and I saw the race from an entirely different perspective for it. 

The 5 team has had plenty of problems since the de-facto win in St. Pete. Those problems haven’t stopped all month. His car was snappy loose all month, and even during the race. I’ve told all my racing friends that Rossi was the best McLaren and he had the best shot. I expected Pato to run around the 7-10 range Sunday. He spent the first 2/3 of the day back in the 13-16 range and I thought it was a lost cause. When he cycled up front and came alive late, I couldn’t believe it. He's such a savvy racer in this race. He reminds me of Dale Earnhardt at a SS. He just knows where to go with his car when he needs to go. It’s like he senses the air and how to navigate it perfectly. 

I sat over in T4. Dead center of the turn. 5th row. By the time they entered T3 I could turn my head from the big screen across the track and see them exit. 

Watching Newgarden pass Pato on the outside in T3 coming to the checkers is something I’ll never forget. It was emotionally draining for me as a fan and 2 days later it’s still like my dog ran away or something. I even accidentally turned my phone on in my hand and recorded my own reaction to it. You can see me scream “NO!” As Newgarden went outside and then immediately turn to see them coming though 3. It’s salty language so if GDs and F bombs aren’t for you, I suggest not watching. 😬

When it was over I sat down, and looked at the guy I was with and said “I haven’t been this emotionally overloaded by sports since 4th and 2” and he knew just what that meant because he was sitting next to me that night as well. 

I just hope someone checked out Newgarden’s software after the race. Make sure they didn’t convince themselves of any new rules or anything. 🤔

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Pato has been my favorite driver for a couple of years now. I got to experience this 500 almost fully. I was at almost every practice, I had a badge to get back in the garage, and I saw the race from an entirely different perspective for it. 

The 5 team has had plenty of problems since the de-facto win in St. Pete. Those problems haven’t stopped all month. His car was snappy loose all month, and even during the race. I’ve told all my racing friends that Rossi was the best McLaren and he had the best shot. I expected Pato to run around the 7-10 range Sunday. He spent the first 2/3 of the day back in the 13-16 range and I thought it was a lost cause. When he cycled up front and came alive late, I couldn’t believe it. He's such a savvy racer in this race. He reminds me of Dale Earnhardt at a SS. He just knows where to go with his car when he needs to go. It’s like he senses the air and how to navigate it perfectly. 

I sat over in T4. Dead center of the turn. 5th row. By the time they entered T3 I could turn my head from the big screen across the track and see them exit. 

Watching Newgarden pass Pato on the outside in T3 coming to the checkers is something I’ll never forget. It was emotionally draining for me as a fan and 2 days later it’s still like my dog ran away or something. I even accidentally turned my phone on in my hand and recorded my own reaction to it. You can see me scream “NO!” As Newgarden went outside and then immediately turn to see them coming though 3. It’s salty language so if GDs and F bombs aren’t for you, I suggest not watching. 😬

When it was over I sat down, and looked at the guy I was with and said “I haven’t been this emotionally overloaded by sports since 4th and 2” and he knew just what that meant because he was sitting next to me that night as well. 

I just hope someone checked out Newgarden’s software after the race. Make sure they didn’t convince themselves of any new rules or anything. 🤔

I honestly thought he had it entering turn 2 on the final lap. He was nearly 3 car lengths ahead. So damn close. I feel for him and for you! 

I grew up in a family of Andretti supporters (I was the odd one who also like Foyt), so imagine my disbelief when Michael allowed his son to take the flag only to have Sam Hornish Jr. snatch it all away at the last second… 

Maybe Pato will have a Sato like Renaissance?