If the pass rush continues to develop though, they don't need great corners,

I agree 1000% with this line of your statement

They need "GOOD" corners, but not great to be succesful in this defense

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree 1000% with this line of your statement

They need "GOOD" corners, but not great to be succesful in this defense

Exactly this. 

Look at this. Lawrence had a full 8 seconds to throw the ball. Better corners are not going to change the outcome of a play like that. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Exactly this. 

Look at this. Lawrence had a full 8 seconds to throw the ball. Better corners are not going to change the outcome of a play like that. 

THIS man "gets it"

Bravo

If you have little pressure, even with ALL PRO / HOF CBs would be a fail

A great FS, can help on these plays that happen, but PRESSURE is HOW this defense is successful (or not)

• Like 2

Additionally

If there is a FS worth their salt

AND

IF we have a LB that is good at pressure AND the CBs are on point.....we can blitz occasionally from the LB position

(keeps them guessing)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Exactly this. 

Giants had just a good secondary, with no Pro Bowlers or elite CBs going against the 16-0 Patriots. The DL said "hold my beer, Ima gonna make life easy for you..." :) The rest is history. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:24 PM, Goatface Killah said:

I put very little stock into those kinds of stats. 

I read it as okay he made a bunch of tackles because those in front of him weren't getting it done. He got a number like he was one of the best LBers.

Otherwise, compared to good peers, he was a seive.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I read it as okay he made a bunch of tackles because those in front of him weren't getting it done. He got a number like he was one of the best LBers.

Otherwise, compared to good peers, he was a seive.

This is exactly why I cant stand analytics.

My idea of good is someone who actually produces results. Everyone misses tackles, because its very hard to tackle a professional athlete 1 on 1, a position hes in constantly because he plays in open space against incredible athletes. And the more plays you are involved in, the more youll miss. By your calculations there, he couldve made over 200 tackles that season. Thats an insane number that has only been produced twice in the history of the league.

Just the fact he was in a position to do that, is incredible. And youre essentially rewarding lesser players who arent good enough to put themselves in that kind of position and making them look better by suggesting them missing less tackles means they are better players. In reality, they just arent very good a lot of times.

To me this is like looking at the NBA and suggesting Magic Johnson wasnt that good because he led the league in turnovers almost every year. An argument Ive heard many times. But when you look at the list of players who turned the ball over the most, its a list of the best players of all time. 

The best players.make the most mistakes because they do the hardest job. They expect to do things other athletes cant even get into position to do. Anybody can avoid missing a tackle by not putting themselves in position to make the tackle in the first place. Thats not a sign of greatness.