Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders cut Chandler Jones….

NewColtsFan

Teams love to preach about being a family, but for many teams this is clearly lip service.    

The man was already held for several days on a mental wellness health check.  He’s likely having a nervous breakdown.   And the Raiders couldn’t find some list to put Jones on for the rest of the season?    Something to protect him?   So they cut him loose.    Again, every team talks the talk, but not every team walks the walk. 

The Raiders?    Not so much….  

• Like 3

Let’s not pretend that this was Jones first issue with the Raiders.  He’s had several and pretty much forced their hand on this.  Also, there isn’t a list designed for this situation.  Maybe there should be but that’s subject for the next CBA negotiations if both sides want it.  People love to compare NFL teams to everyday jobs and just about any everyday job would have let Jones go after this many issues.  I wish Jones the best in getting the help he needs but let’s not pretend this isn’t a business decision that any business or team in the league would have done rather they pretend to be a family or not.  I think most people know that’s lip service to start with because it goes against the nature of business for better or worse.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams love to preach about being a family, but for many teams this is clearly lip service.    

The man was already held for several days on a mental wellness health check.  He’s likely having a nervous breakdown.   And the Raiders couldn’t find some list to put Jones on for the rest of the season?    Something to protect him?   So they cut him loose.    Again, every team talks the talk, but not every team walks the walk. 

I think when he said something linking HC Josh McDaniels to former player's demise from many years ago, that pretty much forced their hand as I don't know how they'd get to work together and come face to face, even if he gets his own issues resolved. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s not pretend that this was Jones first issue with the Raiders.  He’s had several and pretty much forced their hand on this.  Also, there isn’t a list designed for this situation.  Maybe there should be but that’s subject for the next CBA negotiations if both sides want it.  People love to compare NFL teams to everyday jobs and just about any everyday job would have let Jones go after this many issues.  I wish Jones the best in getting the help he needs but let’s not pretend this isn’t a business decision that any business or team in the league would have done rather they pretend to be a family or not.  I think most people know that’s lip service to start with because it goes against the nature of business for better or worse.  

I think team can individually suspend the player and put him on Reserve/Retired list if they want, if NFI (non football injury - mental health) list isn't applicable..

In 2018, I think, Vikings star Edge Rusher Everson Griffen went through similar mental health problems and had been accusing that some people are trying to harm him, and had police arrive at his house when he tried to shoot someone he imagined. He got help from the franchise, had a break for almost a season or so and came back to play for Vikings and Cowboys again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

A player on an NFL team has a nervous breakdown and there’s no “non-injury reserved” list for him?   

Perhaps you’re right, but I’m finding it hard to believe.    

And the other incidents I believe would all fall under the concept of Jones’s mental health issues. 

Finally….  For a person who has me on ignore, and can’t read my posts,  you did a nice job of addressing my post, practically sentence for sentence.   Impressive.  

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think when he said something linking HC Josh McDaniels to former player's demise from many years ago, that pretty much forced their hand as I don't know how they'd get to work together and come face to face, even if he gets his own issues resolved. 

I think team can individually suspend the player and put him on Reserve/Retired list if they want, if NFI (non football injury - mental health) list isn't applicable..

In 2018, I think, Vikings star Edge Rusher Everson Griffen went through similar mental health problems and had been accusing that some people are trying to harm him, and had police arrive at his house when he tried to shoot someone he imagined. He got help from the franchise, had a break for almost a season or so and came back to play for Vikings and Cowboys again. 

That wasn’t Jones saying that, it was his mental illness doing the talking.   Jones and McDaniels don’t ever have to face each other ever again.   I was looking for Jones to be put on some special reserve list for the rest of the year so he could be paid and accrue credits toward his pension and eventual retirement.   That’s all I was looking for.  A little human decency from the Raiders.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That wasn’t Jones saying that, it was his mental illness doing the talking.   Jones and McDaniels don’t ever have to face each other ever again.   I was looking for Jones to be put on some special reserve list for the rest of the year so he could be paid and accrue credits toward his pension and eventual retirement.   That’s all I was looking for.  A little human decency from the Raiders.  

Understand... but why do you say that Jones will ever have to face his HC again?

Would you just like him to be placed in reserve list and the franchise releasing him by the end of the year or contract?

I think releasing him would do similar favor as he could get the help he needs and get back to NFL proving he's healed mentally. As he's a great player, some team would get him next year if he's back to his old self.

He can still salvage his career but more importantly he needs his family to take care of him and get the assistance he needs. I think releasing him would make him focus on getting back to NFL if he wants, or at least let him free to heal and move on towards next chapter in life.

Team could've placed him on a reserve list, I don't think there's any problem doing that technically, but either way he's been done a favor to get back to focus on his health. 

He could still receive pension, retirement & veteran benefits from the league, right? 

38 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Understand... but why do you say that Jones will ever have to face his HC again?

Would you just like him to be placed in reserve list and the franchise releasing him by the end of the year or contract?

I think releasing him would do similar favor as he could get the help he needs and get back to NFL proving he's healed mentally. As he's a great player, some team would get him next year if he's back to his old self.

He can still salvage his career but more importantly he needs his family to take care of him and get the assistance he needs. I think releasing him would make him focus on getting back to NFL if he wants, or at least let him free to heal and move on towards next chapter in life.

Team could've placed him on a reserve list, I don't think there's any problem doing that technically, but either way he's been done a favor to get back to focus on his health. 

He could still receive pension, retirement & veteran benefits from the league, right? 

If Jones is on some special list, I’m not even sure he has to be at the Raiders facility.   

I think you’ve made some very good points,  some very good ideas.   But I don’t think anyone has to pick my view or your view.   I think both can be achieved.   In my version, Jones would still be a Raider, but not required to be at the facility.   He could be seeking the treatment you talked about to try to rehabilitate his life and perhaps his career.   

I know my view is pie in the sky, but I’m in the mood to try to dream big.   Wishful thinking.   Sorry, I have an over developed sense of right and wrong.   It doesn’t always help….    :peek:

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Jones is on some special list, I’m not even sure he has to be at the Raiders facility.   

I think you’ve made some very good points,  some very good ideas.   But I don’t think anyone has to pick my view or your view.   I think both can be achieved.   In my version, Jones would still be a Raider, but not required to be at the facility.   He could be seeking the treatment you talked about to try to rehabilitate his life and perhaps his career.   

I know my view is pie in the sky, but I’m in the mood to try to dream big.   Wishful thinking.   Sorry, I have an over developed sense of right and wrong.   It doesn’t always help….    :peek:

I agree, team could have simply shrugged off his comments, but Raiders just doesn't seem to be the organization that Vikings, for example, dared to be in case of Everson Griffen. Raiders seem to be embroidered in lot of chaos with all the GM, HC changes in last decade that they don't seem to last long in any stance.

If they had kept Jones, they could've voided this year of his contract(?) and hope to get him back next year healthy and strong to go, if everything goes well.. that's what you'd like to see happen usually.

Anyway, let's hope he stays alright, out of trouble at least going forward and get better from whatever that's troubling him. 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was arrested for violating a protective order.  He is likely have a mental breakdown of some kind,  but you still have to follow the law.   His family needs to get him help and protect him from himself

One you read the entire narrative of the past couple of years - you can understand why the Raiders would release him.

I'm not sure they followed thru on their "due diligence" when they signed him.

My prayers go out to Chandler Jones and his family as they work their way thru this mental health nightmare.