Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampa Bay Rays Protest

I realize this may get locked because it’s a controversial subject but I found it interesting and well within the player’s rights to say; “We won’t agree to wear the patches, based on their religious convictions”.

https://greensboro.com/community/rockingham_now/sports/sarah-spain-call-players-out-for-not-wearing-gay-pride-patch/article_8aa8c85a-e756-11ec-87b4-c7c04b7fd26b.html

If someone in the NFL chooses to wear a Cross, a Swastika, a Star of David or a LGBTQ+ patch on their uniform, in this country, it should be there right to do so, just as it was for players to kneel during the National Anthem.

But to force someone to wear one of these patches seems a bit un-American.

You can never force anyone to represent / accept something that they do not believe in. But then, the US is becoming a country where the states are getting powerful / blatant enough to resent or fight against federal rules. The Supreme Court ruling today just added fuel to that fire. :dunno:

20 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I realize this may get locked because it’s a controversial subject but I found it interesting and well within the player’s rights to say; “We won’t agree to wear the patches, based on their religious convictions”.

https://greensboro.com/community/rockingham_now/sports/sarah-spain-call-players-out-for-not-wearing-gay-pride-patch/article_8aa8c85a-e756-11ec-87b4-c7c04b7fd26b.html

If someone in the NFL chooses to wear a Cross, a Swastika, a Star of David or a LGBTQ+ patch on their uniform, in this country, it should be there right to do so, just as it was for players to kneel during the National Anthem.

Ok….   Let’s get the most important correction out of the way.   This thread is NOT about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers football team.   It’s about the Tampa Bay Rays Baseball Team.   Big difference. 

It’s pride month in the country.   The baseball team, as most (all?) are, are trying to cater to some in their fan base.    Tampa has Gay fans.  

As for the right of free speech, you lost the argument when you lumped the Swastika with the rest.   Perhaps you didn’t literally mean to?   But the conversation would be better without that terrible extreme example.  A person's free speech rights IN the work place are much different than they are out in the rest of the world.  

On 6/24/2022 at 6:57 AM, coltsfeva said:

Don't you know? This is modern America, where hypocrisy rules the day. People only care about freedom of expression when it expresses THEIR point of view, or at least doesn't contrast sharply with it, or isn't offensive to them (and of course today just about everything is offensive.....) if so, then the people who disagree are scorned and labelled as horrible, evil people and they do whatever they can to force them to bown down to their point of view. A child can see the nonsense factor there, but look how many grown adults can't (or can but just look the other way). 

People are entitled to their opinion. They are not entitled to tell me what mine must be. 

43 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Don't you know? This is modern America, where hypocrisy rules the day. People only care about freedom of expression when it expresses THEIR point of view, or at least doesn't contrast sharply with it, or isn't offensive to them (and of course today just about everything is offensive.....) if so, then the people who disagree are scorned and labelled as horrible, evil people and they do whatever they can to force them to bown down to their point of view. A child can see the nonsense factor there, but look how many grown adults can't (or can but just look the other way). 

People are entitled to their opinion. They are not entitled to tell me what mine must be. 

Well said.

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

People only care about freedom of expression when it expresses THEIR point of view

I have found this to be true on all sides, regardless of where one stands in their beliefs. Actually those who are most vocal about freedom of speech often seem to be those most likely to tell players to "shut up and play" (and similar type comments).

As for this, I should read the article before I comment but I don't think players should have to wear those if they are against it. 

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

I was going to stay away from this thread but you are 100% right. Anymore I just don't post anything political in here. I don't speak my mind about stuff like this or similar stuff to it or about our country because I am afraid it will offend someone and then they won't like me anymore. Everyone should have a middle ground but some don't. It is what it is, I will stick to sports and get pumped for the 2022 Colts season. season 3 GIF

• Nadine changed the title to Tampa Bay Rays Protest
  • Nadine locked this topic
On 6/24/2022 at 6:57 AM, coltsfeva said:

I've edited the title of this and moved it to the proper forum.

In addition, the topic is closed because it is already misrepresenting what happened

Players on the Tampa Bay Rays were able to OPT IN to wearing patches celebrating pride month.

5 didn't opt in

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/five-tampa-bay-rays-players-decline-to-wear-lgbtq-logo-on-uniform-during-pride-night-celebration/

1 ESPN commentator apparently called them bigots for not opting in on the basis of their religious beliefs

There was no freedom of speech issue.  The players were not silenced.

They were criticized

Archived