Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Context for Wentz Critics

EastStreet

21 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I said I wasn’t going to, but I did rewatch the game. I’m not sure there’s any combination of pass catchers and pass blocking that could have improved Wentz’ game yesterday. There was a good 60+ yards Taylor could have racked up with receptions on coverages ranging from “loose” to “wide * open” but Wentz just flat out did even pay attention to him to throw to tightly and/or double covered receivers instead. 

Kinda seems like it might be a fundamental problem as much, if not more so, than a personnel one. I dunno. I wish I had stuck with my original decision not to rewatch the game because I feel worse about it and Wentz now than I did this morning. :pokerface:

There was a couple moments I was like ball needs to come out now because he had players open on crossing patterns.  Then was sacked. It was very disappointing. 

I know he wasn’t great but I am done with new QB every year. It’s getting old. I would just like for him to get another offseason. Like Reich said hopefully they get OTA and a healthy training camp from him. OTA is where they work on timing.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, coming on strong said:

just watch this video on youtube of rivers and compare the release time . the ball is out within a couple of seconds watch the anticipation on throws .   its night and day  and depressing i thought wentz was the answer and he let down the whole fan base .

Rivers was a joy to watch as an operator and executor of the offense, even though he was obviously way past his physical and athletic prime and even though we couldn't use the full play book with him because of his limitations. Wentz is still in his athletic prime and watching him play football was painful to me. There is nothing reassuring or encouraging in his play. The moment he turns around and doesn't hand the ball is the moment I am on pins and needles and almost expect him to screw up. I don't trust him... and in certain ways even Frank showed he wasn't trusting him by the way he leaned more and more toward the run game as the season progressed. 

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There was a couple moments I was like ball needs to come out now because he had players open on crossing patterns.  Then was sacked. It was very disappointing. 

I know he wasn’t great but I am done with new QB every year. It’s getting old. I would just like for him to get another offseason. Like Reich said hopefully they get OTA and a healthy training camp from him. OTA is where they work on timing.

If he couldn’t build any better timing with guys between September and the second weekend of January than he did I’m skeptical that a couple spring practices and a training camp is the key to unlocking the problem. It certainly can’t hurt anything, but is it going to make the night and day difference we need to see?

That’s a sell for me. Especially since he went from good to bad over the course of this season and not the other way around… 

In that first half of the season defenses had very little tape of him in this offense to study. How much of a factor in that trend of his season was defenses having none or very little tape of him in this offense to study? Did the worm turn because there was a handful of games to go back and watch to pick apart on him?

Regardless of personnel (on our team, or the other one,) I think his game as a whole is a very flawed one that breeds problems of its own. 

And that really matches up with what we were told about him coming in to this season. 

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If he couldn’t build any better timing with guys between September and the second weekend of January than he did I’m skeptical that a couple spring practices and a training camp is the key to unlocking the problem. It certainly can’t hurt anything, but is it going to make the night and day difference we need to see?

That’s a sell for me. Especially since he went from good to bad over the course of this season and not the other way around… 

In that first half of the season defenses had very little tape of him in this offense to study. How much of a factor in that trend of his season was defenses having none or very little tape of him in this offense to study? Did the worm turn because there was a handful of games to go back and watch to pick apart on him?

Regardless of personnel (on our team, or the other one,) I think his game as a whole is a very flawed one that breeds problems of its own. 

And that really matches up with what we were told about him coming in to this season. 

Well even Reich said in his pressers you don’t really work on timing routes ect in camp or the season. He said even if he can get 7 on 7 it will help a ton. Rivers didnt really need it because his brain and ability to read defenses is elite.

I will just say this if we change QB again I think I will probably find something else to do with my time.  Ballard really screwed up not going after A QB after JB failed. There was a lot of good options.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Well even Reich said in his pressers you don’t really work on timing routes ect in camp or the season. He said even if he can get 7 on 7 it will help a ton. Rivers didnt really need it because his brain and ability to read defenses is elite.

I will just say this if we change QB again I think I will probably find something else to do with my time.  Ballard really screwed up not going after A QB after JB failed. There was a lot of food options.

I think you got the Reich comment about timing all wrong.    And I think you don’t understand what the options really were.   

Other than that, you nailed it!     :thmup:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you got the Reich comment about timing all wrong.    And I think you don’t understand what the options really were.   

Other than that, you nailed it!     :thmup:

Nope that’s exactly what he said. He was asked about the hamster wheel at QB. He then went into mention how he hopes they can get OTA this season because that’s where you work on getting timing down. His exact words.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Superman said:

He's also an unreliable decision maker, especially against pressure. And it's those moments where I most wonder whether he can be the guy we need him to be. 

He made a terrible decision against the Cardinals and turned the ball over. Reich then called 12 straight run plays, even though 80% of the OL was missing. Kind of makes me think Reich knows that Wentz is unreliable vs pressure, and that gives Reich license to lean into his more conservative nature as a play caller, which isn't good. 

I agree with the point of your OP, but Wentz still brings some critical issues that need to be confronted.

No doubt he needs to improve in areas. But also no doubt he needs better support (OL, pass catchers, play calling).

I've said from start he's a complimentary guy, and he was just not really set up to be a complimentary guy. 

As far as Reich is concerned, in general, his O allows Ds to compact the field. And that just makes it tougher. Made it tougher on Rivers too, but at least he's got strengths to rely on in a short and compact field. 

Overall, he improved a lot over last year IMO. Still a ways to go. He's not going anywhere, so hopefully we'll see continued improvement assuming we improve the supporting cast. 

Without having read through the entire thread, I think you have to stick with Wentz on this basis.

Who are you going to get that's better?   Even if you are convinced a QB in the draft is better (which is highly questionable), we don't have a first round pick this year and even if we did it would still take a boat load of picks to get to the place where we could draft a better QB.  

Archived