Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Soccer - US Men's and Women's National Teams

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if they're done, but they need to get back to soccer. I think success/fame/politics went to their heads, and they started believing they were invulnerable.

I just meant they are out of the gold medal contention.   

I'm torn because I always root for the USA but I'm not upset that the women lost.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

I just meant they are out of the gold medal contention.   

I'm torn because I always root for the USA but I'm not upset that the women lost.  

I'm a bit upset (irritated is probably the better word). More because I think it was a wasted opportunity, than we simply lost. We have without a doubt, the most talent in the world. We just didn't play up to our typical level. I really love the USWNT as much as the M's, and I expected Gold, and wanted to see them be the first team to ever win the WC then the Olympics back2back. I think they're juggling way too many distractions. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Per the FIFA Men's World Rankings,

1 Belgium

2 Brazil

3 France

4 England

5 Italy

6 Argentina 

7 Spain

8 Portugal 

9 Mexico

10 USA

Italy #5 after winning the Euro, and the US behind MX after winning the GC..... 

Huh...

I don't think MX or US should be top 10 though. I'd slot Germany over both, and a few others too.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Italy #5 after winning the Euro, and the US behind MX after winning the GC..... 

Huh...

I don't think MX or US should be top 10 though. I'd slot Germany over both, and a few others too.

I mean just like College Football, rankings are meaningless, it matters only who gets in the game. I am just still surprised I never would have thought I'd see the MNT in top 10 ever

6 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I mean just like College Football, rankings are meaningless, it matters only who gets in the game. I am just still surprised I never would have thought I'd see the MNT in top 10 ever

FIFA rankings have been pretty good over the years. And when I say good, I mean pretty consistent and conservative. This view seems neither lol.

6 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

well, Clemson, Bama, and OSU are always in the top xx... and they always seem to win lol.

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

FIFA rankings have been pretty good over the years. And when I say good, I mean pretty consistent and conservative. This view seems neither lol.

well, Clemson, Bama, and OSU are always in the top xx... and they always seem to win lol.

Haaha when I say meaningless I mean like the points in Whose LIne Is It Anyway, they just dont matter. :lol:

Just like they are still there as just kinda a person(s) view at the end as it does restrict who will make it or has really anything to do with who is in. But that is for any type of ranking, even if they end up being good

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up on World Cup qualifiers start soon.. First three games below

3 tough games IMO.

Not sure why they just don't auto-qualify the GC winner... 

at El Salvador on Sept. 2

at home against Canada in Nashville Sept. 5

away to Honduras on Sept. 8

next round in Oct

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4462375/christian-pulisicgio-reynaweston-mckennie-headline-usmnt-26-man-roster-for-world-cup-qualifiers

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just a heads up on World Cup qualifiers start soon.. First three games below

3 tough games IMO.

Not sure why they just don't auto-qualify the GC winner... 

at El Salvador on Sept. 2

at home against Canada in Nashville Sept. 5

away to Honduras on Sept. 8

next round in Oct

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4462375/christian-pulisicgio-reynaweston-mckennie-headline-usmnt-26-man-roster-for-world-cup-qualifiers

I agree, it would make sense to do it that way, but owell, they just need to perform like they did in GC, and get us back

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

yes the Brazil Argentina matchup was stopped at half over quarantine violations by Argentina 

only lasted a couple minutes.

crazy rules on isolation.... making players isolate for 14 days if they come from the UK.... give them daily tests for 4-5 days... 

plus many Euro clubs won't even release their players.

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And finish 4-1 certainly good. Hopefully next set they do it for all the games. Also annoying these games are on the subscription services instead of normal channels

We made up some ground, or at least, kept up. Canada won 3-0 over ES. Mex and Pan tied 1-1 and so did JAM and CR. 

I think we're going to be in 3 way tie for 2nd in qual standings. Long road ahead though.

We play JAM next, but not till Oct.... We should help our cause if we play like tonight.

5 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And finish 4-1 certainly good. Hopefully next set they do it for all the games. Also annoying these games are on the subscription services instead of normal channels

PS, I watched on Univision (included in my Comcast). 

But sucks it's not on FS1 or other channel. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We made up some ground, or at least, kept up. Canada won 3-0 over ES. Mex and Pan tied 1-1 and so did JAM and CR. 

I think we're going to be in 3 way tie for 2nd in qual standings. Long road ahead though.

We play JAM next, but not till Oct.... We should help our cause if we play like tonight.

PS, I watched on Univision (included in my Comcast). 

But sucks it's not on FS1 or other channel. 

Ya hopefully they can play like the second half tonight in those games.

And ya, I do not have cable. But I can watch on Brother in law account for FS1. On USA Network. And then of course basic channels. No Univision or peacock 

22 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya hopefully they can play like the second half tonight in those games.

And ya, I do not have cable. But I can watch on Brother in law account for FS1. On USA Network. And then of course basic channels. No Univision or peacock 

I think Univision is free over the air in a lot of places. Could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe Rodriguez didn't get a red card and ejected there. They better do something post game review wise. Totally flagrant. 

And he give two US players yellows, causing one to miss the next game. I can maybe understand the goalie just for running half the pitch, but still... 

Total horse poo poo

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Per the FIFA Men's World Rankings,

1 Belgium

2 Brazil

3 France

4 England

5 Italy

6 Argentina 

7 Spain

8 Portugal 

9 Mexico

10 USA

Belgium is the biggest tease, never can put it together at the highest level, though I felt they got robbed in the previous WC. Spain, a lot of them play together at the club levels and it translates to cohesiveness when it comes to Euro and World Cup games, though it has gone down in the last few years. Belgium and Spain play the small ball version of Latin America like soccer in Europe, hence are fun to watch.

The premier US players playing in overseas clubs is what is going to prepare them for the world's best. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived