Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Soccer - US Men's and Women's National Teams


Recommended Posts

Didn't see a thread, or much talk on football (soccer) in general. 

 

Watching the USMNT play in the CONCACAF Nations League Qfinals vs Honduras. Pretty good so far. US dominating possession, but Honduras just missed. Really not a miss, just a terrific play by the US to keep it out of the net. A little chippy early.

 

Very excited about the future of the USMNT with the three young guys in front.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a game. Refs playing a big part in the game (the two P-kicks), but at least both sides got their chance in extra time.

 

Still not over, but nice to have the lead with time running out.

 

#USMNT

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What a game. Refs playing a big part in the game (the two P-kicks), but at least both sides got their chance in extra time.

 

Still not over, but nice to have the lead with time running out.

 

#USMNT

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

 

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

 

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

 

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

 

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team. 

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 11:08 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team.

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

 

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.
 

Quote

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

 

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 
 

Quote

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

 

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

 

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.
 

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

 

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 
 

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

 

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

 

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

 

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

 

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

Ah haha that would help.

 

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ah haha that would help.

 

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

During the games in Brazil, we had a 10 day, 7 game route mapped out. Still sad we had to cancel.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...