Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peytons New Place

subvet

It was discussed to some extent as to why Peyton chose an AFC team over an NFC team and one of the reasons given was that there was some sort of "agreement" between the brothers.

In an interview when asked about just this, his reply was that he knew the 49ers were in the NFC when he talked to them and that the choice was made with conference not being a consideration.

I'm glad he said this, or words to that effect as I can't remember exactly what he said, because otherwise he would have been wasting his, the Cardinals, and the 49ers time if he were not seriously considering their offers.

I sure would have liked to see him wearing red and gold though.....

classic case of media speculation being accepted as fact

Yep. Those were the first questions Rich Eisen posed on NFL Network.

Rich: Did you not go to the 49ers because of your brother?

Peyton: "I knew very well what conference the 49ers were in."

Rich: Did you not go to the Titans because of their division rivalry with the Colts?

Peyton" "Again, I knew what division the Titans were in."

He decided on where he felt the comfort level was best. He felt Elway could understand his predicament the best and give him the necessary tools to succeed. He felt good about a defensive minded coach in John Fox and the improvization ability of Mike McCoy (as witnessed with Tebow). He also felt sad about the fact that his ex-teammates' names Wayne and Saturday were treated like those who would tag along with him and expressed so in that interview. Ultimately, 1, only 1 Jacob Tamme, an ex-Colt went with him. The facts bear out that it was all media speculation.

He also asked Mike McCoy and Jack Del Rio if they were "one and done", meaning if they will bolt the very next year. He was happy with their answers as well. Like I he said, it was about his heart, him feeling the most comfortable about a situation. An AFC team that had most of the pieces, being in the AFC and being able to play against Ds he knew, plus a comfortable environment with coaching staff and GM, all of those factored into his decision

Yep. Those were the first questions Rich Eisen posed on NFL Network.

Rich: Did you not go to the 49ers because of your brother?

Peyton: "I knew very well what conference the 49ers were in."

Rich: Did you not go to the Titans because of their division rivalry with the Colts?

Peyton" "Again, I knew what division the Titans were in."

He decided on where he felt the comfort level was best. He felt Elway could understand his predicament the best and give him the necessary tools to succeed. He felt good about a defensive minded coach in John Fox and the improvization ability of Mike McCoy (as witnessed with Tebow). He also felt sad about the fact that his ex-teammates' names Wayne and Saturday were treated like those who would tag along with him and expressed so in that interview. Ultimately, 1, only 1 Jacob Tamme, an ex-Colt went with him. The facts bear out that it was all media speculation.

He also asked Mike McCoy and Jack Del Rio if they were "one and done", meaning if they will bolt the very next year. He was happy with their answers as well. Like I he said, it was about his heart, him feeling the most comfortable about a situation. An AFC team that had most of the pieces, being in the AFC and being able to play against Ds he knew, plus a comfortable environment with coaching staff and GM, all of those factored into his decision

Right on! He strongly emphasized that it wasn't any one particular item, but all of those as quoted.

I think the fact he already has in depth knowledge of AFC teams and doesn't have to add that study to the work and prep schedule was a big factor to overcome from teams outside the conference.

My guess (particularly after reading Peter Kings article) is that after being released from the Colts he was sufficiently back on his heels that he decided to keep all of his options open in the process of trying to find the best fit. He certainly wasn't about to tell a team like the 49ers (or someone that he would love to work with like Wisenhunt) that he wasn't even going to bother talking to them. His primary goal is to win, and he is running out of time.

That doesn't mean that after all the work was done and he was down to three teams, he didn't give some kind of edge to the Broncos because they DIDN'T play in the same conference as his brother (one which he would be less comfortable with as described above) nor the same conference as the Colts (an unpleasant distraction, not to mention the presence of the Texans).

In other words, if he said that he seriously considered those teams than obviously he did - but that doesn't mean that the other issues didn't factor into the decision to some degree.

In other words, if he said that he seriously considered those teams than obviously he did - but that doesn't mean that the other issues didn't factor into the decision to some degree.

Yes, possibly a minor factor but what I was going for was that it wasn't going to make him decide against a team in the NFC if that was where he wanted to play.