Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Banogu's Game Log Stats

EastStreet

The numbers you'll see are

Tackles/Sacks/Tackles for Loss/QB Hurries

I used FO's OL ratings, though not listing all the individual measurements. Just good/mediocre/bad

Teams in red had sub .500 conference records.

Southern 0/0/0/1 (Division I–AA/FCS)
@SMU 2/1/1/1 (bad OL)
#3OhSU 3/0/0/2 (mediocre OL, horrible by OSU standards)
#9@TX 3/1.5/1.5/2 (mediocre OL)
ISU 3/0/0/0 (mediocre OL)
TTU 8/2/2/0 (bad OL)
#4OK 4/0/0/1 (good OL rushing, OK passing)
@KS 8/2/4.5/1 (horrible OL)
KSU 5/0/1/0 (bad OL)
#20@WVU 4/0/2/0 (bad to medicore OL)
@BAY 10/1/4/0 (mediocre rush OL, bad pass OL)
OkSU 2/0/1/0 (bad OL)
CAL 5/1/1/0 (bad OL)

Best game (vs a decent opponent) - Texas

Worst game (vs a decent opponent) - Iowa State

Best game (vs a poor opponent) - Kansas

Worst game (vs a poor opponent) - OKSt

In general, their schedule was full of pretty bad OLs so it's hard to project how he might do against NFL level OLs. I'd also note the lack of consistency from game to game.

The big12 is notorious for bad Ds in general, so most OLs aren't tested. TX improved dramatically (overall team) as the season progressed, but hard to take anything substantive out of that game. VS the best OL in the conference (OK), Banogu was pretty quiet.

Given Perterson's D scheme, it will be interesting to see how Banogu does once he gets quality rush coaching. IMO, he's got a lot of athletic upside, but has a lot of work to do if he wants to polish up and translate well vs NFL OL's. High ceiling potential, but also significant chance of not translating.

• Like 3

He's definitely gonna need help from our DL to keep him free as well as good coaching/scheming to get him free.

But yeah, this was one of the questions for him coming out, didn't go up against great comp. a lot and was usually quiet when he did. I think he's the biggest project of our class in terms of distance between his floor/ceiling.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, a06cc said:

You need to watch his take off speed from the line of scrimmage. I think he’ll be fine transitioning with proper coaching. 

Nobody is doubting his explosiveness off the line. It's his lack of moves, hands, and strength for the most part. When you watch highlight tape, you only see the good, so really not something you can make a well rounded conclusion on. I'm going to try and watch the OhSU and OK games this weekend to get a more thorough view.

Here's what NFL.com had to say.

Edge player with good athleticism, who could struggle to translate to the next level unless he diversifies his approach as a rusher. His quickness created opportunities with inside moves and twists in college, but NFL tackles will shut and lock that interior door on him until he proves he can threaten them around the corner. Banogu could challenge for a nickel rush position in the future, but he still needs work

Weaknesses

Predictable pass rusher with affinity for inside moves

Has upfield burst but doesn't use it enough to burn the edge

Needs to improve hands and implement them into his rush plan

Can be controlled by strength in pass rush and run game

Stiff punch from long-armed tackle ends his snap

Missing base power to set the edge or play through redirect blocks

Too many missed tackles due to poor positioning and balance.

• Like 1