Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How about Kahale Warring?

There has been lots of talk about taking one of the two Iowa TEs early in the draft. And I do believe its worth discussing the future of the Colts TE position. What appears a current position of strength could disintegrate if Doyle's hip proves a chronic problem, and Ebron want mega $ in 2020. The kid I've highlighted, Kahale Warring, is an ascending talent at the TE position. He is one of those classic late to the program TEs, but he's played the position throughout college. He's a heck of an athlete, and can probably be had in Day 3. I like this kind of move, because he can learn at the hands of the starting TEs, and grow in to their heir apparent very quickly if he's as good as I think he'll be. Also, the Colts don't have to spend a high pick on the TE position. 

Thoughts?

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

There has been lots of talk about taking one of the two Iowa TEs early in the draft. And I do believe its worth discussing the future of the Colts TE position. What appears a current position of strength could disintegrate if Doyle's hip proves a chronic problem, and Ebron want mega $ in 2020. The kid I've highlighted, Kahale Warring, is an ascending talent at the TE position. He is one of those classic late to the program TEs, but he's played the position throughout college. He's a heck of an athlete, and can probably be had in Day 3. I like this kind of move, because he can learn at the hands of the starting TEs, and grow in to their heir apparent very quickly if he's as good as I think he'll be. Also, the Colts don't have to spend a high pick on the TE position. 

Thoughts?

I don't want to be a pest, but you haven't told me anything about him.  Why is he a better choice the the others on this list-

College Grade-

5.9 – 5.5 = Has a chance to make and Contribute (12)

5.9 = 3rd Round Value

4. ISAAC NAUTA–GEORGIA
5. JACE STERNBERGER–TEXAS A&M
6. DAWSON KNOX–OLE MISS
7. JOSH OLIVER–SAN JOSE STATE
8. KAHALE WARRING–SAN DIEGO STATE
9. DREW SAMPLE–WASHINGTON
10. TOMMY SWEENEY–BOSTON COLLEGE
11. CALEB WILSON–UCLA
12. KADEN SMITH–STANFORD

There's 9 guys ranked very close by a professional scout and a paid consultant to NFL teams.  He hasn't put out full scouting reports yet.  So what to you makes this guy better for the Colts than the other 3rd round graded guys?  Fill me in.  Maybe I'll agree!?

I'm not picking on you, I'll ask similar questions to others and their picks/positions.  I want to be swayed, get excited, get on board.  GM's sometime fall in love with 'a guy'.  They have a reason not driven by outside noise.  I just want to know others reasoning too.  Otherwise I can't get excited about folks recommendations.

ColtsBlueFL, your critique is fair. Here is what little I know:

I watched him at the Combine and became intrigued. I read up on him and this guy was an alpha athlete prior to college....he just didn't play football. We're talking standout athlete in the following: water polo; swimming; soccer; lacrosse; basketball; tennis. He got into football late in high school. So, he is a bit like the basketball players we've converted to TE, except with much more experience, because he has a full college career to rely upon. He's not green, but he's not a final product either. He has good speed; great size, and soft hands. 

From what I've read, this kid is a great athlete and is likely to get much, much better as a TE in time and with pro training. But I also think he will still be around in the 4th or 5th round, when he'd be one of those value picks we all hope and expect Ballard to dredge up. 

Just a guy to talk about. The more I review the situation, the more I believe the Colts will indeed draft a TE this year. Too many unknowns facing the position in 2020. However, with the emphasis likely on defense in the draft, picking a TE seems like a Day 3 event. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I watched him at the Combine and became intrigued. I read up on him and this guy was an alpha athlete prior to college....he just didn't play football. We're talking standout athlete in the following: water polo; swimming; soccer; lacrosse; basketball; tennis. He got into football late in high school. So, he is a bit like the basketball players we've converted to TE, except with much more experience, because he has a full college career to rely upon. He's not green, but he's not a final product either. He has good speed; great size, and soft hands. 

From what I've read, this kid is a great athlete and is likely to get much, much better as a TE in time and with pro training. But I also think he will still be around in the 4th or 5th round, when he'd be one of those value picks we all hope and expect Ballard to dredge up. 

Just a guy to talk about. The more I review the situation, the more I believe the Colts will indeed draft a TE this year. Too many unknowns facing the position in 2020. However, with the emphasis likely on defense in the draft, picking a TE seems like a Day 3 event. 

Screams like a Patriots player to me, those are the kind of guys Belichick likes. I can see him being a Patriot. He took a former QB in Edelman and played him in different spots, offense, defense and ST till Edelman settled in as PR and WR. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes at the end of Day 2 in Round 3 by some team due to his potential. 

This is what the Draft Network says about him:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kahale-warring

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I don't want to be a pest, but you haven't told me anything about him.  Why is he a better choice the the others on this list-

College Grade-

5.9 – 5.5 = Has a chance to make and Contribute (12)

5.9 = 3rd Round Value

4. ISAAC NAUTA–GEORGIA
5. JACE STERNBERGER–TEXAS A&M
6. DAWSON KNOX–OLE MISS
7. JOSH OLIVER–SAN JOSE STATE
8. KAHALE WARRING–SAN DIEGO STATE
9. DREW SAMPLE–WASHINGTON
10. TOMMY SWEENEY–BOSTON COLLEGE
11. CALEB WILSON–UCLA
12. KADEN SMITH–STANFORD

There's 9 guys ranked very close by a professional scout and a paid consultant to NFL teams.  He hasn't put out full scouting reports yet.  So what to you makes this guy better for the Colts than the other 3rd round graded guys?  Fill me in.  Maybe I'll agree!?

I'm not picking on you, I'll ask similar questions to others and their picks/positions.  I want to be swayed, get excited, get on board.  GM's sometime fall in love with 'a guy'.  They have a reason not driven by outside noise.  I just want to know others reasoning too.  Otherwise I can't get excited about folks recommendations.

Sorry....   I missed that....

Who is the the orofessional scout who is also a paid consultant to NFL teams?

Who is that person?

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Screams like a Patriots player to me, those are the kind of guys Belichick likes. I can see him being a Patriot. He took a former QB in Edelman and played him in different spots, offense, defense and ST till Edelman settled in as PR and WR. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes at the end of Day 2 in Round 3 by some team due to his potential. 

This is what the Draft Network says about him:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kahale-warring

Chad, its interesting you mention the Pats. I was just watching the NFL channel and they were discussing what the Patriots would do now that Gronk is retiring. They mentioned them taking 2 TEs in the draft, one very early and another in the 3-4-5 round area. They specifically mentioned Warring as one of the second tier guys they could see Belichick going after. 

Not worried about TE this year. At all. 

Ebron, I'll bet, loses production because of Funchess. If he does, his worth goes down having a declining year. If it doesn't, and he has another stud year, then pay the man and keep him. Doyle is back, so that could impact Ebron's touches as well. If he stays healthy great. If not, he'll be the odd man out.  Funchess played TE until his Senior year at UM, and could easily switch back. IMO, he'd be a better TE than WR anyway. 

If we take a TE this year, I'd go late rounds. If not, wait till next year when you have a better idea of what your roster will look like. 

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

Your guy seems like he might go higher than you expect.    Saw a mock this morning that had him going in the 3rd round.   He doesn't seem like a kid who would go any lower than the 4th round.     Is that what you were projecting?    

Just asking....

I was hoping he might last to the Colts’ 4th rounders. Seems like a perfect spot to deviate from what should be a heavy emphasis on drafting Defense in order to grab a TE with potential. You may be right; this guy could go much sooner.