Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Keefer] Through the scout's eye: Meet the new Colts

MTC

This is really cool, especially after Ballard talked about trying to get the scouts to really make him see the players through their eyes. I already really like Leonard but the more I learn about the kind of guy he is the more I'm impressed, seems like a very solid leader who loves the game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Great read , thanks for the post.

I found the Turay insight particularly interesting.

I did also. Actually came on here with a quote copied ready to talk about it. 

"What we did was look at all the top pass-rushers in this draft. (Bradley) Chubb, (Marcus) Davenport, (Harold) Landry. Compared them with Kemoko. The amount of times they rushed the passer, and the amount of times they affected the QB, whether by sack, hurries or hits. Kemoko rushed the passer – throughout his career, which was four years – half as many times as all the other guys. Everyone was around 1,000 rushes. Kemoko was like 550. The amount of times Kemoko hurried the QB was close to the guys who had 500 more rushes. Hits? Was more than the other guys. This is total number, not percentage, in regards to pressures."

I love it. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

"What we did was look at all the top pass-rushers in this draft. (Bradley) Chubb, (Marcus) Davenport, (Harold) Landry. Compared them with Kemoko. The amount of times they rushed the passer, and the amount of times they affected the QB, whether by sack, hurries or hits. Kemoko rushed the passer – throughout his career, which was four years – half as many times as all the other guys. Everyone was around 1,000 rushes. Kemoko was like 550. The amount of times Kemoko hurried the QB was close to the guys who had 500 more rushes. Hits? Was more than the other guys. This is total number, not percentage, in regards to pressures."

I love it. 

... but it was a REAAAACHHH. :headspin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh...I'm not feeling Darius Leonard much at all.  His tape against NC Central is less than inspiring...don't know what that Colts scout in the article saw at that game.  I saw a guy who was consistently late to the ball and made a lot of tackles when the opposing player already picked up the first down.  He also got caught up in the wash a lot.  Made lots of weak arm tackles. Trails from behind a lot and makes tackles way down field.  I'm not expecting much based from what I'm seeing.  He made a handful of decent plays but overall he looks like he will provide the same kind of mediocre defensive play we are already getting from our defense.  

On Braden Smith...I'm alright with this pick.  Considered the best lineman in the SEC last year.  He will provide depth at guard with a chance to win a starting spot.  Looking forward to seeing him play. 

From what I've heard and read, his arms are too short for him to move to Tackle so I don't expect to see him at Right Tackle.  Scout compared his body to a polar bear's.  lol  That tackle position should be a battle between Joe Haeg and LaRaven...if any guard has a possibility of being tried out there I'd put my money on Mewhort possibly getting a few looks.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I love it. 

... but it was a REAAAACHHH. :headspin:

Gotta admit...that bit of insight makes me feel much better about the Colts taking Kemoko Turay.  Hopefully our defensive coaches will be able to develop him and maximize his strengths. 

I like the running backs we drafted.  First, I didn't understand what the Colts were doing...I was looking for them to take a bruiser to compliment Mack...thinking of our previous year's model.  But as Chad72 and a few others kindly pointed out to me, the Colts seem to be following a running back by committee approach similar to what the Eagles and others have implemented using athletic backs. Given Frank Reich is our coach now...that makes sense. 

I feel Hines and Wilkins both bring nice skill sets to our RB group.  Nyheim was the fastest back in the draft...even clocked a faster 40 than Barkley.  He can also make plays as a kick returner and in the passing game.  Wilkins is not as finesse as some say he is. He runs pretty tough to me using spin moves and stiff arms when needed.  Given that we waited until the 3rd day, I think Ballard did a decent job upgrading our talent in this area.

Deon Cain is one of the picks that I liked the most outside of Quentin Nelson.  He is a fly route killer but needs to develop his overall route tree.  Hopefully, he can be coached up.  Sky is the limit on him if he does.  He can get downfield and into the endzone and could emerge as a very nice compliment to T.Y.  Glad Ballard took a flyer on him in the 6th and didn't let some of the negative stuff from his freshman year get in the way.

Our other wideout wasn't discussed in the article but Fountain has potential from what little I've seen from him.  I expect him to battle for a roster spot and probably catch on as a back up or practice squad player.

Not going to go into our 7th rounders as I think it's a throw away round.  I don't expect much at all but am open to being pleasantly surprised by the two linebackers taken.  Mike Adams seems to be quite a thumper and I do appreciate that aspect of his game.