Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Free Agency

I'll take my stab at this years free agency. With the draft "theoretically" thin at WR and CB I will start with the in house options.

Adam Vinatieri - Duh

With the switch to a 4-3 Cover 3 Hybrid more than likely, I see us sticking with two semi-proven veterans at CB and resign both Pierre Desir and Rashaan Melvin to pair with Wilson, Hairston and Moore. Ballard will probably invest in a late round CB in the mold of Hairston - either a late bloomer, converted WR or small schooler.

With Moncrief's age, upside and familiarity with Luck, he gets resigned. That keeps the top 3 together PLUS 1 or 2 of the 10 reserve/future contract guys could crack the squad like Adams or Hogan.

In free agency I would target at least 2 young OG's with a proven track record (versus rookies from the draft) whether its Norwell, Fulton, Easton, Kline, Hurst or James (OT). 

To help incorporate the new defensive scheme/terminology Hitchens would be signed. 

Once all of that is done, then rounds 1-4 could be spent on 2 DE's and 2 LB's and rounds 5-7 would be a complimentary RB for Mack, a project CB and a project WR.

I like Simon as the SAM (and judging by all of last years FA's that were signed to multi year deals I believe CB thought the same).....looking back at the Dungy years where we had Rob Morris, Marcus Washington, et al I think he played zone coverage, disrupted routes, set the edge, and rushed the passer better than both of them. If Hitchens is signed then there is your MIKE and QB of the defense.

So the LB's that get drafted would be more of the WILL types.....just my opinion of course.

So Chubb in the 1st and Marcell Frazier in the 3rd perhaps

And 

Onkaronko (sp?) In the 2nd and Darius Leonard or Tegray Scales in the 4th