Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

History Shows Former Heisman Qb In Nfl

some people say RG3 is going to be a " beast " and that the colts will regret it if they dont draft him....history shows since 2000 9 QB's who have won heisman have come to the NFL and heres how they stand

2000 - Weinke (drafted by carolina) BUST!

2001 - Eric Crouch (drafted by St.louis as a WR because he was to small to be a QB at 5'11) Bust!

2002 - Carson Palmer ( drafted by cinci before being traded to Oakland after a few injury ridden seasons) decent

2003 - Jason White (undrafted heisman winner, never got a job after trying out for KC and Tenn.) Bust!

2004 - Matt Leinart (drafted by Az, then went onto Houston ) Bust!

2006 - Troy Smith (Drafted by Baltimore, went to SF before going to the UFL) Bust!

2007 - Tim Tebow (Drafted by denver and really hasnt showed much except that he can run, but still will give him time) Push!

2008 - Sam Bradford - (drafted by St.Louis has been hurt 2 of his 3 seasons on an off prob due to bad Oline) so ill say not far from being a good pick.

2010 - Cam Newton - (drafted by Carolina....cant rate him just yet but right now he dont look like a bust at all)

now to name just a few non heisman winners.....

1998 - Peyton Manning 4 time mvp and super bowl winner...future HOF

2000 - Tom Brady 3 time superbowl winner another future HOF

2001 - Drew Brees Super bowl winner and broke dan marinos single season passing yard record.

2005 - Ben rothlisberger 2 time superbowl winner

if history is any indication....stay away from heisman winners. not saying RG3 wont be good just saying history could repeat its self.

The college game and pro game are very different. The best player in college ball doesn't necessarily mean success in pro ball.

This

Also, it doesn't mean that the best player in college isn't necessarily the best prospect. Look at the scheme most of these guys played in. Though, in fairness, Leinart and Smith played in relatively pro style systems.

Regardless, scouts clearly don't care about Heisman credentials, based on the number of those listed falling to later rounds or not at all. That, to me, says that RGIII is legit. The Heisman is not some kind of curse or something. It's an award given to the best player in college, Just because they don't always translate to the NFL doesn't mean one can't, and certainly doesn't make one more susceptible to failing.

some people say RG3 is going to be a " beast " and that the colts will regret it if they dont draft him....history shows since 2000 9 QB's who have won heisman have come to the NFL and heres how they stand

2000 - Weinke (drafted by carolina) BUST!

2001 - Eric Crouch (drafted by St.louis as a WR because he was to small to be a QB at 5'11) Bust!

2002 - Carson Palmer ( drafted by cinci before being traded to Oakland after a few injury ridden seasons) decent

2003 - Jason White (undrafted heisman winner, never got a job after trying out for KC and Tenn.) Bust!

2004 - Matt Leinart (drafted by Az, then went onto Houston ) Bust!

2006 - Troy Smith (Drafted by Baltimore, went to SF before going to the UFL) Bust!

2007 - Tim Tebow (Drafted by denver and really hasnt showed much except that he can run, but still will give him time) Push!

2008 - Sam Bradford - (drafted by St.Louis has been hurt 2 of his 3 seasons on an off prob due to bad Oline) so ill say not far from being a good pick.

2010 - Cam Newton - (drafted by Carolina....cant rate him just yet but right now he dont look like a bust at all)

now to name just a few non heisman winners.....

1998 - Peyton Manning 4 time mvp and super bowl winner...future HOF

2000 - Tom Brady 3 time superbowl winner another future HOF

2001 - Drew Brees Super bowl winner and broke dan marinos single season passing yard record.

2005 - Ben rothlisberger 2 time superbowl winner

if history is any indication....stay away from heisman winners. not saying RG3 wont be good just saying history could repeat its self.

I would mention that it's a numbers game. There is only 1 Heisman winner every year and numerous QBs drafted. Odds are that some of the non-heisman winning QBs will go on to do great things. I'm merely pointing out that comparing a heisman winning QB to a non-heisman winning QB isn't a fair comparison. The numbers are greatly skewed.

I would mention that it's a numbers game. There is only 1 Heisman winner every year and numerous QBs drafted. Odds are that some of the non-heisman winning QBs will go on to do great things. I'm merely pointing out that comparing a heisman winning QB to a non-heisman winning QB isn't a fair comparison. The numbers are greatly skewed.

i understand that, but the point i was trying to get across was just because a QB won the heisman does not necesarily mean he is going to come in and perform at the same level as he did in college. guess i could have put that in there, it slipped my mind. just alot of people are riding RG3 jock just because he won heisman and try to make the argument that luck faced weak defenses, but so did RG3. and the one game with both QB's that comes to mind with completely opposite numbers of each other is the games that both played OSU although both resulted in losses (and i believe luck would have beat OSU if the coach would have not played it safe and just let luck do his thing)

RG3 against OSU - 425 yards 1 TD 2 INT's

Luck against OSU - 347 yards 2 TD's 1 INT

The college game and pro game are very different. The best player in college ball doesn't necessarily mean success in pro ball.

exactly. the only reason i made this post is because in the news on ESPN about RG3 changing his pro day date alot of the fans were trying to make an argument that RG3 is going to be better then luck because 1) heisman and 2) of course some try to bring race into it by saying because hes black. sometimes i wonder what these people are smoking while their on the net. and trying to point out that just because they won the heisman does not mean their going to transition into a great NFL QB or player for that matter.

This

Also, it doesn't mean that the best player in college isn't necessarily the best prospect. Look at the scheme most of these guys played in. Though, in fairness, Leinart and Smith played in relatively pro style systems.

Regardless, scouts clearly don't care about Heisman credentials, based on the number of those listed falling to later rounds or not at all. That, to me, says that RGIII is legit. The Heisman is not some kind of curse or something. It's an award given to the best player in college, Just because they don't always translate to the NFL doesn't mean one can't, and certainly doesn't make one more susceptible to failing.

100% agree

Exactly, which is what a lot of people don't understand - mostly the people who say Case Keenum is a nailed on SB winner!

Scouts couldn't care less about numbers - it's all about intangibles. Luck doesn't have the best numbers but has (arguably, pretty much unanimously decided) the best skillset.