Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Practice 8/22/17

TKnight24

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

as much as i'd like the change, I dont want the GM meddling in the roster, that is a coach's call.

True. I hope Ballard holds Pagano accountable for any such poor calls like Morris being the #3 the last 2 weeks. Maybe it really is time to move on. 

I'm a bit concerned about the RT spot. I thought Clark played well on Saturday, despite being moved and not getting the start. Banner has intriguing upside, but I don't see how he can be realistically considered a possible starter this season. Vujnovich(sp?) has some position flex, but wasn't great last week.

I'm not sure what the coaches are seeing and hearing (with Morris as well). The only thing I can think of with Clark is that they think he needs an attitude adjustment of some kind because he can play. With Morris, I think they made the decision to go with Tolzien early and have been focusing on getting him ready for week 1 rather than competition for the spot. 

At back-up QB, it probably doesn't matter much. We aren't winning very many games with either guy, but I think the coaches are making a mistake if they think Banner or JV will be more than depth on the OL this season. 

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I'm a bit concerned about the RT spot. I thought Clark played well on Saturday, despite being moved and not getting the start. Banner has intriguing upside, but I don't see how he can be realistically considered a possible starter this season. Vujnovich(sp?) has some position flex, but wasn't great last week.

I'm not sure what the coaches are seeing and hearing (with Morris as well). The only thing I can think of with Clark is that they think he needs an attitude adjustment of some kind because he can play. With Morris, I think they made the decision to go with Tolzien early and have been focusing on getting him ready for week 1 rather than competition for the spot. 

At back-up QB, it probably doesn't matter much. We aren't winning very many games with either guy, but I think the coaches are making a mistake if they think Banner or JV will be more than depth on the OL this season. 

Here's the thing. This whole RT may just be them experimenting with the new guys and seeing how they'd hold up against the number 1s of Dallas.  We could just be reading too deeply into this. 

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here's the thing. This whole RT may just be them experimenting with the new guys and seeing how they'd hold up against the number 1s of Dallas.  We could just be reading too deeply into this. 

Idk I get the impression he's in Pagano's doghouse. 

10 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He holds way too much even when he does not get flagged for it. He also is not strong enough to defend the bullrush. He continually gets pushed back into the QB and defenses will continue to attack him that way. He has the athleticism to deal with speed but struggles with power guys.

Fair enough, have watched both games but didn't see any obvious issues . Was just accepting that the all-round offensive play was rubbish more than anything else!

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

What's going on at RT?  I thought Clark looked good late last year but now he's competing with no names.  Is he showing up late for work or something?

There is a "plug and play" mentality along the O-line. It can be seen in the phrase "next man up" rather than investing the time and training to groom players for specific positions. It takes time to become a cohesive unit. But the strategy so far has been musical chairs with line positions. Therefore, the quarterback gets pressured and people don't seem to know why.

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I hope this (attitude adjustment) isn't the attitude of the coaching staff. It *might* work for HS football, but these guys are supposed to be professional caliber football players. It is quite possibly de-motivational for these kinds of players (where most motivation is internal).