Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That Guy's Updated Offseason

This is not a dream-style mock.  I'm trying to design an offseason I see as realistic, and I want to know how people would feel if this fell into place.

Cuts:

Arthur Jones

Hugh Thornton

Re-Sign (in order of priority):

Jack Doyle

Erik Walden

Robert Turbin

Akeem Ayers

Mike Adams (if he would sign as a backup; I want our young guys to play)

Priority Free Agents:

Zach Brown or Lawrence Timmons - ILB

Timmons would be the more expensive signing and an older player, but I think it's more likely we nab him since the Steelers have more pressing signings to deal with.

Logan Ryan - CB

Great fit for our scheme and a large need.  An outside CB that is great in run support and can stuff WRs.  Patriots have more cap space than we do, but they also have a lot more priorities above Ryan.

Johnathan Hankins or Dontari Poe - NT

We need to beef up the D-Line, and this signing would send a statement as to our direction in 2017.

I have us targeting Melvin Ingram and missing out.  Would be a great addition, but I don't see it.  I we could manage to sign him, I would remove any two of the secondary OLB signings.

Secondary Free Agents:

John Simon - OLB

Player who could turn into a decent starter.  We would need to create as much competition as possible.

DJ Hayden - CB

Give Pagano a chance to coach up a player in his area of expertise.

Paul Kruger - OLB

Older and less skilled, but at this point, we need bodies at the position.

Damontre Moore - OLB

Yet another body at the position.  He has talent, but his attitude and work ethic need to be elevated.

Shane Lechler - P

Older but still one of the better punters in the league.  If we miss out here, pick up the best punter as an undrafted free agent.

Draft:

Round One - Rueben Foster - ILB Alabama

Could fall to us with recent surgery.  Would be a GREAT pick for us if he fell that far.  I am hoping for either Foster or Solomon Thomas to fall to us, and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to nab one at this point.  Consider Thomas the alternate.

Round Two - Caleb Brantley - DT Florida

I have a good feeling that either Brantley or Malik McDowell will fall to our second round pick.  Either one would perfect our new line and create a great foundation for the future of our defense.  Consider McDowell the alternate.

Round Three - Dan Feeney - OG Indiana

I still want a great guard prospect out of this draft, and Feeney and Forrest Lamp are the main two I would want.  Both could be gone by this pick, but I see Feeney falling due to being a position that is out of style (a good zone-blocking guard can usually be taken later in the draft).  Lamp will be gone by this point, so I don't have an alternate (any suggestions?).

Round Four A - Jordan Willis - OLB Kansas State

Great leader and great player.  Would come in on pass-rushing situations until he is ready for full-time duties.  Alternate would be Anthony Walker Jr out of Northwestern if we take Thomas instead of Foster in round one.

Round Four B - Wayne Gallman - RB Clemson

I'm expecting a few good RBs to fall, and Gallman would make a great committee back with Turbin.

Round Five - Tarell Basham - OLB Ohio

Another pass rusher who would need to develop a few moves, but he could be a good starter once he gains some polish.

Round Six - Damien Mama - G USC

Guy comes in on short yardage and goal line to push the pile.  If he can keep his weight DOWN, he'll be a mauler on the line.

Depth Chart:

QB - Luck / Tolzien

RB - Gore / Turbin / Gallman / Ferguson

WR - Hilton / Moncreif / Dorsett / Rogers

TE - Doyle / Allen

LT - Castonzo / Haeg

LG - Mewhort / Good

C - Kelly / Blythe

RG - Feeney / Mama

RT - Clark / Haeg

DE - Anderson / Langford

NT - Hankins / Perry / Kerr

DT - Brantley / Ridgeway / McGill

OLB - Kruger / Moore / Willis

ILB - Timmons / E. Jackson

ILB - Foster / Morrison

OLB - Walden / Simon / Ayers / Basham

CB - Davis / Hayden / Melvin

CB - Ryan / Robinson

SS - Geathers / (Adams)

FS - Green / Farley

We are still weak at pass-rush, but we could get it done with a combination of good coverage and creative blitzing.  It would be our main priority again in 2018.  Our inside linebackers would turn into a strength of our defense.  Our O-line would be complete in my eyes, as well as our D-Line.  Our secondary would be strong at CB, but our safeties would need to grow with experience.  Our RB situation would be patched for the year, and would probably be a secondary priority in the 2018 offseason.  Our other skill positions would be solid.  All-in-all, I don't see us fixing every hole in our roster this offseason.

Nice effort, but we just got a lot older with Kruger and Timmons. That I don`t care for too much. Also, D.J Hayden played on a pretty good defense and pretty much stunk, so I have zero confidence in Pagano making Hayden into a serviceable player. 

I like L.Ryan and agree he'd be a great fit for the Colts defense. 

Not a bad draft either!

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

This is not a dream-style mock.  I'm trying to design an offseason I see as realistic, and I want to know how people would feel if this fell into place.

Cuts:

Arthur Jones

Hugh Thornton

Re-Sign (in order of priority):

Jack Doyle

Erik Walden

Robert Turbin

Akeem Ayers

Mike Adams (if he would sign as a backup; I want our young guys to play)

Priority Free Agents:

Zach Brown or Lawrence Timmons - ILB

Timmons would be the more expensive signing and an older player, but I think it's more likely we nab him since the Steelers have more pressing signings to deal with.

Logan Ryan - CB

Great fit for our scheme and a large need.  An outside CB that is great in run support and can stuff WRs.  Patriots have more cap space than we do, but they also have a lot more priorities above Ryan.

Johnathan Hankins or Dontari Poe - NT

We need to beef up the D-Line, and this signing would send a statement as to our direction in 2017.

I have us targeting Melvin Ingram and missing out.  Would be a great addition, but I don't see it.  I we could manage to sign him, I would remove any two of the secondary OLB signings.

Secondary Free Agents:

John Simon - OLB

Player who could turn into a decent starter.  We would need to create as much competition as possible.

DJ Hayden - CB

Give Pagano a chance to coach up a player in his area of expertise.

Paul Kruger - OLB

Older and less skilled, but at this point, we need bodies at the position.

Damontre Moore - OLB

Yet another body at the position.  He has talent, but his attitude and work ethic need to be elevated.

Shane Lechler - P

Older but still one of the better punters in the league.  If we miss out here, pick up the best punter as an undrafted free agent.

Draft:

Round One - Rueben Foster - ILB Alabama

Could fall to us with recent surgery.  Would be a GREAT pick for us if he fell that far.  I am hoping for either Foster or Solomon Thomas to fall to us, and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to nab one at this point.  Consider Thomas the alternate.

Round Two - Caleb Brantley - DT Florida

I have a good feeling that either Brantley or Malik McDowell will fall to our second round pick.  Either one would perfect our new line and create a great foundation for the future of our defense.  Consider McDowell the alternate.

Round Three - Dan Feeney - OG Indiana

I still want a great guard prospect out of this draft, and Feeney and Forrest Lamp are the main two I would want.  Both could be gone by this pick, but I see Feeney falling due to being a position that is out of style (a good zone-blocking guard can usually be taken later in the draft).  Lamp will be gone by this point, so I don't have an alternate (any suggestions?).

Round Four A - Jordan Willis - OLB Kansas State

Great leader and great player.  Would come in on pass-rushing situations until he is ready for full-time duties.  Alternate would be Anthony Walker Jr out of Northwestern if we take Thomas instead of Foster in round one.

Round Four B - Wayne Gallman - RB Clemson

I'm expecting a few good RBs to fall, and Gallman would make a great committee back with Turbin.

Round Five - Tarell Basham - OLB Ohio

Another pass rusher who would need to develop a few moves, but he could be a good starter once he gains some polish.

Round Six - Damien Mama - G USC

Guy comes in on short yardage and goal line to push the pile.  If he can keep his weight DOWN, he'll be a mauler on the line.

Depth Chart:

QB - Luck / Tolzien

RB - Gore / Turbin / Gallman / Ferguson

WR - Hilton / Moncreif / Dorsett / Rogers

TE - Doyle / Allen

LT - Castonzo / Haeg

LG - Mewhort / Good

C - Kelly / Blythe

RG - Feeney / Mama

RT - Clark / Haeg

DE - Anderson / Langford

NT - Hankins / Perry / Kerr

DT - Brantley / Ridgeway / McGill

OLB - Kruger / Moore / Willis

ILB - Timmons / E. Jackson

ILB - Foster / Morrison

OLB - Walden / Simon / Ayers / Basham

CB - Davis / Hayden / Melvin

CB - Ryan / Robinson

SS - Geathers / (Adams)

FS - Green / Farley

We are still weak at pass-rush, but we could get it done with a combination of good coverage and creative blitzing.  It would be our main priority again in 2018.  Our inside linebackers would turn into a strength of our defense.  Our O-line would be complete in my eyes, as well as our D-Line.  Our secondary would be strong at CB, but our safeties would need to grow with experience.  Our RB situation would be patched for the year, and would probably be a secondary priority in the 2018 offseason.  Our other skill positions would be solid.  All-in-all, I don't see us fixing every hole in our roster this offseason.

In the draft portion of this,   in R's 3-6,  I think you are 1 to 2 rounds late in each prospect with the exception of maybe Gallman.       Otherwise,  these guys will be gone long before we get near them.

37 minutes ago, MPStack said:

20 minutes ago, Finball said:

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I know Timmons is getting old, but I doubt the ILB position goes unaddressed before the draft.  If we miss on Brown, I could see us making a play for Timmons based on his experience.  As far as Kruger goes, I could see us missing out on Ingram and Pagano bringing in his former player.  I doubt we only bring in young players.  Grigson did that to start his tenure, and it didn't work out the greatest.  If two out of seven signings are just past 30 (they'll both be 31 next season), I'd be alright with that.

As far as the players I drafted, Feeney could easily fall to the third (being a zone-blocking guard), Willis is projected as a third or fourth rounder, Gallman is widely projected as a fourth rounder, Basham is projected between the fifth and the sixth round, and Mama is rarely even included in mocks (most mocks don't go past the fourth this early in the process).  In my opinion, it's WAY too early in the process to think you can nail each prospect down to an exact round.  Our forum has a tendency to elevate players and positions that we covet (I know I did it last year with Andrew Billings).  I definitely don't see any of those players going a full two rounds before our selections, but I'll keep an eye out and see if I need to rethink their positioning and bring in different picks.  I think they're selected in a fair position.

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I know Timmons is getting old, but I doubt the ILB position goes unaddressed before the draft.  If we miss on Brown, I could see us making a play for Timmons based on his experience.  As far as Kruger goes, I could see us missing out on Ingram and Pagano bringing in his former player.  I doubt we only bring in young players.  Grigson did that to start his tenure, and it didn't work out the greatest.  If two out of seven signings are just past 30 (they'll both be 31 next season), I'd be alright with that.

As far as the players I drafted, Feeney could easily fall to the third (being a zone-blocking guard), Willis is projected as a third or fourth rounder, Gallman is widely projected as a fourth rounder, Basham is projected between the fifth and the sixth round, and Mama is rarely even included in mocks (most mocks don't go past the fourth this early in the process).  In my opinion, it's WAY too early in the process to think you can nail each prospect down to an exact round.  Our forum has a tendency to elevate players and positions that we covet (I know I did it last year with Andrew Billings).  I definitely don't see any of those players going a full two rounds before our selections, but I'll keep an eye out and see if I need to rethink their positioning and bring in different picks.  I think they're selected in a fair position.

I don't know what websites you're reading,  but that's not what I'm reading....