Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IU's Jordan Howard

oldunclemark

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, oldunclemark said:

....will make his first start Sunday for the Bears in Chicago against Detroit..

....they like him..The Lions run defense isn't good...

6-foot-0, 230 pounds....

watch out......NFL........''you remember "Air Jordan'?   here comes  'Ground Jordan''

Does it bother you that no matter where anyone talks about him they say he is from UAB? I know your a big IU fan so I just wondered because they never seem to mention he played at IU last year.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Does it bother you that no matter where anyone talks about him they say he is from UAB? I know your a big IU fan so I just wondered because they never seem to mention he played at IU last year.

It does bother me a little but his path to IU (UAB dropping the program) is an unusual story..its okay

When you see his name on the TV this Sunday they will say 'from Indiana University"

He should be a good out door cold weather runner....perfect for the Bears. I'm rooting for him..

..after this Sunday

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

It does bother me a little but his path to IU (UAB dropping the program) is an unusual story..its okay

When you see his name on the TV this Sunday they will say 'from Indiana University"

He should be a good out door cold weather runner....perfect for the Bears. I'm rooting for him..

..after this Sunday

Just wondering because all the announcers say the rookie out of UAB...which I know he grew up in Alabama and played there but they very rarely mention his time at IU. Between sports center and the announcers during the game I've never seen them mention IU. Even some of the graphics they put up say UAB. I did hear someone mention his time at IU last week so maybe they are finally starting to give that IU shout out. I just didn't want to see you get jealous this week if they don't represent the Hoosiers like they should.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just wondering because all the announcers say the rookie out of UAB...which I know he grew up in Alabama and played there but they very rarely mention his time at IU. Between sports center and the announcers during the game I've never seen them mention IU. Even some of the graphics they put up say UAB. I did hear someone mention his time at IU last week so maybe they are finally starting to give that IU shout out. I just didn't want to see you get jealous this week if they don't represent the Hoosiers like they should.

To be absolutely honest, I hope he doesnt get too many mentions THIS Sunday because the Colts defensive front and this young man running the ball is a pretty good matchup for the Bears

39 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Jordan Howard was killing us......

.......glad they didn't give it to him 30 times

Actually,  we didn't do a terrible job against the run....     Not sure about his pass catches.

Howard got 57 yards in one carry.....    I think he got about 60 yards in 15 carries the rest of the way.     So, not terrible.

By the way,  I thought Howard looked really, really good!    The kind of back I hope we can find in next years draft.      Props to the Bears for finding him in the 5th round!      I hope we have that kind of luck.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually,  we didn't do a terrible job against the run....     Not sure about his pass catches.

Howard got 57 yards in one carry.....    I think he got about 60 yards in 15 carries the rest of the way.     So, not terrible.

By the way,  I thought Howard looked really, really good!    The kind of back I hope we can find in next years draft.      Props to the Bears for finding him in the 5th round!      I hope we have that kind of luck.

the issue ..for Bears fans fortunately...is that he only got 16 carries....

.....does this say that you can find a back in any round?

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Some would say that......     but props to you for finding Howard.     I think you and a few other Booties were on him during the run-up to the draft.

Great looking back.      Really impressive.

Good find for you!         :thmup:

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He still gashed us. That's like saying if it wasn't for the TD bomb to Hilton we would have still won that game. All runs count and they all are important. He had the defense worn down (and his OL). Our defense was broken by the end of the game and only a gift turnover saved us imo. Howard had a few other great runs and a TD called back on holding calls...a couple away from the run that really weren't consequential. He ran hard and was tough to bring down. Very impressed with his game. I believe that one stiff arm to Adams was a thing of beauty. Tossed him down like he was a child. I like the kid...too bad he plays for a bad Bears team but the IU running backs yesterday went OFF! Coleman tore up the Broncos LBs.

Not really...we've still haven't found a replacement for Joseph Addai. We've traded for guys, brought in FAs, filled the position from 1st rounders to undrafted guys with no luck. Now that may have more to do with our OL and commitment to run the ball but our rbs sure aren't flashing some crazy skills. We have a solid workhorse in Gore but his ability to break off big runs are long since gone. Great runners may be available in just about any round but that doesn't necessarily mean you can pick any of them and they work out.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

He still gashed us. That's like saying if it wasn't for the TD bomb to Hilton we would have still won that game. All runs count and they all are important. He had the defense worn down (and his OL). Our defense was broken by the end of the game and only a gift turnover saved us imo. Howard had a few other great runs and a TD called back on holding calls...a couple away from the run that really weren't consequential. He ran hard and was tough to bring down. Very impressed with his game. I believe that one stiff arm to Adams was a thing of beauty. Tossed him down like he was a child. I like the kid...too bad he plays for a bad Bears team but the IU running backs yesterday went OFF! Coleman tore up the Broncos LBs.

Not really...we've still haven't found a replacement for Joseph Addai. We've traded for guys, brought in FAs, filled the position from 1st rounders to undrafted guys with no luck. Now that may have more to do with our OL and commitment to run the ball but our rbs sure aren't flashing some crazy skills. We have a solid workhorse in Gore but his ability to break off big runs are long since gone. Great runners may be available in just about any round but that doesn't necessarily mean you can pick any of them and they work out.

Sure it does. We just don't have the line. Just because we haven't found a replacement for (correction)  Donald Brown doesn't mean that 31 other teams cant find good RBs in later rounds.

Think of it this way. There are thousands of running backs. Every college has one..and running back is pure talent .....if you can run in college you can run in the NFL if they block for you.

Bears have 2 Pro Bowl guards...Howard isn't doing it all himself

I know you know that we don't emphasize the run because of the QBs we've had....

..Look at how few carries Frank Gore gets. 

Who was the last RB we drafted?

..as soon as we want a quality back, we can draft one..there are lots of them every year..as long as you have the blockers..and you commit to running the ball..which we're not really about to do right now

Sure it does. We just don't have the line. Just because we haven't found a replacement for (correction)  Donald Brown doesn't mean that 31 other teams cant find good RBs in later rounds.

Think of it this way. There are thousands of running backs. Every college has one..and running back is pure talent .....if you can run in college you can run in the NFL if they block for you.

Bears have 2 Pro Bowl guards...Howard isn't doing it all himself

I know you know that we don't emphasize the run because of the QBs we've had....

..Look at how few carries Frank Gore gets. 

Who was the last RB we drafted?

..as soon as we want a quality back, we can draft one..there are lots of them every year..as long as you have the blockers..and you commit to running the ball..which we're not really about to do right now

There are plenty of teams in the league that want to run the ball that can't. Some have OL issues, some have play calling issues, and some have rb issues. I believe a star runner can be found in just about any round but that doesn't mean ANY back can be a star runner. The holes in the NFL are so so much smaller in the NFL...the players so much bigger and faster....it takes a special back with special vision, and speed and elusiveness to be great. More importantly they have to be able to stay on the field and pass protect as well. We don't get many 1500 yd rushers in the league...and if we do we don't get many that do it year in and year out. Those are special guys (Peterson, Charles, Mccoy) and they don't just grow on trees. Sure you'll get an occasional Forsett or Lewis but all too often they fall off quickly. We've seen sure fire 1st rd guys bust and late picks thrive. While I agree the biggest component is blocking a great runner can make the most of limited blocking and can see the holes and angles that most can't....gets to them and then doesn't go down when others might or is able to avoid tacklers. I believe we have had horrible OL play...but we also haven't had an elite back on this team since James. We could certainly use that special back on this team...it would definitely help make plays where there isn't a lot of yards there....but I agree...until we make it a priority to run the ball we will rely on Andrew and forever be one dimensional. Luck will likely end up with all the Colt records when he is done just because of his attempts alone...I would love some balance on this team.