Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie McKenzie... having the last laugh?

SteelCityColt

I'm sure we can call remember laughing at the Raiders as they continued to blunder despite monumental cap space by overpaying in FA for mediocre talent and continuing to struggle with finding a QB. It looked at one point that McKenzie would surely be getting fired.

So my question is, have they turned the corner somewhat and does McKenzie deserve some praise? 

As things stand they are a game back from a wildcard spot and I could easily see them going 8-8/9-7 which may well be enough for 2nd in the division if not a W/C. Carr seems to be developing, the O-line is getting better with each game, Cooper has the hallmarks of being a great weapon. On the defensive side Mack continues to look like a talent and the rest of the D has come along pretty well all things considered. 

Let's phrase the question another way, a good comparison IMO would have been with the Jags (perennial bad time with high picks, new "franchise" QB, Defensive Coach, Young Talent), given that the Raiders plays in a harder division have they progressed more under Del Rio than the Jags have under Bradley? 

I think they go 8 and 8 with losses against:

Pittsburgh

Chargers (I don't see them taking 2 against the Chargers)

Detroit

Broncos

Packers

That will bring them up to 8-8 with 5 more wins against

Jets

Vikings

Titans

Chiefs twice

They certainly got talent and have improved

McKenzie has done a masterful job in the draft and manuvering in FA. I don't think they are a playoff team yet but they also haven't saddled themselves with horrible cap issues in FA. They have some great faces of the franchise in Carr, Cooper, Murray, and Mack. They signed some over the hill vets but that was just to meet cap minimums.  I think they are building a great squad.  They didn't go out and blow a bunch of dough on Suh or Mike Wallace etc...they are building a nice team.  They've made some mistakes in my eyes like signing Trent or letting Veldheer go but I think they have a good mold they are building too. They aren't going for the long shot superstars like the DHB at wr...but the safe bet like Cooper....and they have a good signal caller and an elite lb so its a great start.  JDR you couldn't sell me on...but way better then Lane Kiffen or someone like that so...things are looking up in Oakland....or LA...or wherever they are going to be.