Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampa 2 ?

colts52761

After the Texans game it does seem that tampa 2 can work. Maybe it has to play calling. I guess i'm wondering if were keeping this next year? Also when tampa bay had great defenses they had certain positions that had great players.

SS = They had Lynch, we have Caldwell.

WLB = They had Brooks, we have Conner.

DT = They had Sapp, we have Nevis.

DT = They had Macfarland, we have Johnson.

I guess I'm wondering if you need to have really good DT's, a really good SS, a really good WLB to make the tampa 2 most affective?

I think we've been doing things a little differently the last couple games. Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I've seen corners playing a little closer, Conner coming in on blitzes, and I seem to recall Caldwell even making a tackle for loss. That said, the D didn't play as well as I'd like. They didn't give up many points, but there is no reason Houston shouldn't have put up 30 on us. Foster was getting what, 10 yards per carry? And that play action bootleg they like to run got us every time. I guess I'm conflicted on the defensive play. On one hand, they didn't give up a lot of points, and that's all that really matters. On the other hand, good quarterbacks will destroy our D.

I think we've been doing things a little differently the last couple games. Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I've seen corners playing a little closer, Conner coming in on blitzes, and I seem to recall Caldwell even making a tackle for loss. That said, the D didn't play as well as I'd like. They didn't give up many points, but there is no reason Houston shouldn't have put up 30 on us. Foster was getting what, 10 yards per carry? And that play action bootleg they like to run got us every time. I guess I'm conflicted on the defensive play. On one hand, they didn't give up a lot of points, and that's all that really matters. On the other hand, good quarterbacks will destroy our D.

Well really it all falls into what Polian was saying that its not about any stat but the score and takeaways. Which is kinda scary...

After the Texans game it does seem that tampa 2 can work. Maybe it has to play calling. I guess i'm wondering if were keeping this next year? Also when tampa bay had great defenses they had certain positions that had great players.

I guess I'm wondering if you need to have really good DT's, a really good SS, a really good WLB to make the tampa 2 most affective?

Those don't hurt, but thats not what makes the defense tick.

The first key to any defense is pressure. No one can cover forever, so forcing the QB to throw before hes ready resulting in potential takeaways (Particularly in the Tampa 2 ).

The Colts accomplish this with a good front four. (Freeney, Mathis, etc..)

Secondly, in the variation of the Cover 2 defense that we call the Tampa 2, the MLB's duty is to cover mid deep against TE's running up the seem between the FS and SS.

Stomping the run on the other hand has nothing to do with the zone's playing behind the defensive line. Thats where having those 2 stout DT's like the Bucs and flowing linebackers helps.

Our LB'ers have actually been flowing very well, and our Antonio Johnson was a great resign and is truly the key for the defenses success against the run.

So in essence, no matter how you get pressure weather it be from 1 DE and a DT, 2 DT's 2 DE's aslong as there pressure. Fast good coverage corners/corner/safeties.

Don't forget Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice and SB MVP Dexter Jackson.

Great personnel makes every defense better, and they're personnel was much better than ours. Also, the Tampa 2 back then was a new thing that caught a ton of people by surprise and offenses didn't know how to beat it. Well now, it's old and everyone knows it. Tampa 2 is a good defense to have, but the Colts use it way too much. It's a great defense to have on a 3rd and long situation and stuff like that. It's also a good base defense, and with base defenses, you always try to make it better by making constant adjustments. We have never made any adjustments to it.

SS- Caldwell is terrible, Bullitt is just as bad... Mark Barron would be nice here second round pick...

WLB- Brooks was an oversized, physical, defensive back.. Conner plays SAM not Will... possible Will targets, Zach Brown 1, Lavonte David 2-3, Sean Spence 3-4, Nigel Bradham 4-5.. those are round projections btw...

DT- Nevis has shown some potential, I am not anywhere enar ready to call him Sapp, but he is a nice penetrator

NT- Mookie is back-up material, maybe Thompson or Poe in the second round, Kawann Short 3-4...