Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Economics of the 1st round-Trading back into the 1st

I have attached an article by former sports agent Joel Corry. It is an excellent read that talks about the economics of the first round. It talks about best positions to draft in terms of position, option years, and reasons for moving back into the late first round. (This would be a good sign for the Colts if they want to trade back, but if someone falls, you lose the advantage he speaks of).The part I found most interesting is why teams like to move back into the bottom of the first round. Reason, you get the 5th year option and it is likely to be very cheap. Player control and cheap contracts. Makes a lot of sense, so much the Vikings have employed the policy the last 3 years if you have not notices. They hit nicely with Harrison Smith, and his option is cheap. Vote is out on Patterson, who I don't think was a first rounder, and Bridgewater who was a steal at #31 and his contract will really help the Vikings for the next four years going forward. Just a really good article and a different way to look at the draft. In the end though, it is kind of difficult to control the draft pick you are going to get.

I found it more important for the idea of the late first round picks and the hidden value of the 5th year option which should be figured into a trade, instead of just the points of the draft. I find the more we get into this new CBA that the draft points are being made a little less important than before with no rookie salary cap.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25157818/agents-take-the-hidden-economics-in-the-1st-round-of-the-nfl-draft