Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When I compare our talent w/ NE, I give them the edge in these categories

Cribbsfaircatch

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaching

Line play, LBers and secondary. Anyone disagree?

I thought we had better wrs and even better running backs. Special teams. I'll give Brady the edge @ qb, but not substantial

Disagree

I'd take Blount & Vereen over Boom, Trent, & the injury riddled Ballard & Bradshaw

Boom & S. Ridley are basically the same RB. Both are good, but got butter fingers when running with the pigskin

Oh, and I'd even take J. Gray

It's actually come to be very overstated. 

I still think there's a separation between him and the elite QBs in the league. Turnovers are a small part of that picture. But I don't believe that raw turnovers is a true distinction between an elite QB and a really good QB.

This is true. The two ints he threw against Denver were on 3rd down and were almost as good as a punt because they were very deep balls. In essence nothing lost. Context for every turnover is the key. That said I think Luck still makes a lot of bad throws. He tends to throw high over the middle WAY to much for my liking. These balls have a much higher chance of being tipped/deflected and possibly intercepted. Don't get me wrong....Luck is under diress a lot so he is making throws without setting his feet or stepping up which I think is a majority of his problems. At this point in his career it isn't being so much fooled (which is good) but just making some errant throws which can be improved. I think he holds on to the ball too long is my greatest critique. I would like him to make quicker decisions if possible and keep his throws down...something Brady and Rodgers who typically always lead the league in TD-INT ratio do very very well. He is getting to elite very quickly...another small step next year probably puts him in that elite class with Brady and Rodgers....I think he surpasses Manning and Brees. Right now he is in that next tier down imo....with Rothlisburger/Rivers/Romo.

I don't really ever expect him to have that clean season...he takes chances..looks to drive the ball down the field and make plays. He isn't like Brady. He doesn't disect you with a thousand little passes and lures you to sleep before going over your head. Even in college Luck threw ints at about 1 a game. Just who he is. I like that about him....I think he can still improve and be that much better protecting the ball while driving it down field though.

This is true. The two ints he threw against Denver were on 3rd down and were almost as good as a punt because they were very deep balls. In essence nothing lost. Context for every turnover is the key. That said I think Luck still makes a lot of bad throws. He tends to throw high over the middle WAY to much for my liking. These balls have a much higher chance of being tipped/deflected and possibly intercepted. Don't get me wrong....Luck is under diress a lot so he is making throws without setting his feet or stepping up which I think is a majority of his problems. At this point in his career it isn't being so much fooled (which is good) but just making some errant throws which can be improved. I think he holds on to the ball too long is my greatest critique. I would like him to make quicker decisions if possible and keep his throws down...something Brady and Rodgers who typically always lead the league in TD-INT ratio do very very well. He is getting to elite very quickly...another small step next year probably puts him in that elite class with Brady and Rodgers....I think he surpasses Manning and Brees. Right now he is in that next tier down imo....with Rothlisburger/Rivers/Romo.

I don't really ever expect him to have that clean season...he takes chances..looks to drive the ball down the field and make plays. He isn't like Brady. He doesn't disect you with a thousand little passes and lures you to sleep before going over your head. Even in college Luck threw ints at about 1 a game. Just who he is. I like that about him....I think he can still improve and be that much better protecting the ball while driving it down field though.

Yeah the ability to take care of the ball is there, as evidenced by 9 picks in 2013, but it's difficult to balance with the desire to make plays, which he's also really good at. Looking at interception % and TD:INT ratio is a way to get a better perspective on how often he actually turns it over. Yet, each game still has a finite number of possessions, so the impact of each turnover doesn't change much. It's still closely related to wins and losses.

I also think it's important to remember that Luck is a playmaker, but he's also just a three year pro. There isn't a good/great QB in the league didn't continue to improve after Year 3. Luck was advertised as "pro ready," and he was, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have to go through some growing pains. His efficiency will continue to get better as he grows and as the team around him improves.