Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeMarco Murray has broken bone in hand, hopes to play against Colts.

SilentHill

Jerry didn't say he would, said he could. They want to see him in practice this week, and make a game time decision

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/16/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-demarco-murray-hand-surgery

They don't feel it is major enough to prevent him. But guess what, he'll have to pass block, carry the ball when running left, or stiff arm an opponent while running to the right. All of that will hurt, a lot. He might have ball control issues when running left. I suspect if he plays, they'll rotate a lot more than otherwise.

I had a broken bone in my hand. Don't remember which and I don't know if it's the same as Murray's, but it didn't hurt very much. It hurt when it happened, but the pain was mostly gone by the next day. They didn't even put a cast on it, said it would heal fine on its own as long as I didn't try to play sports for a couple weeks. If Murray's situation is anything similar, with his cast, pain might not be a factor. Ball security, catching and pass blocking might be an issue.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a broken bone in my hand. Don't remember which and I don't know if it's the same as Murray's, but it didn't hurt very much. It hurt when it happened, but the pain was mostly gone by the next day. They didn't even put a cast on it, said it would heal fine on its own as long as I didn't try to play sports for a couple weeks. If Murray's situation is anything similar, with his cast, pain might not be a factor. Ball security, catching and pass blocking might be an issue.

From what I've heard, this is likely what Murray is facing  (it did require surgical intervention, so a displaced fracture not out of the question)

Example X Rays below-

Hand-Xray_zps513aa25b.jpg4th_MC_Fx_Lt_zps6a9c880a.jpg

Can you see the fracture on the pic on the right? (the reason 3 views are always needed, sometimes 1 or 2 of them don't show it, and Murray's may or may not look like this example, we don't know) This is a type of 4th metacarpal fracture of the left hand. Typical indications for surgery on them include open fractures, intra-articular fractures, angulation of the fracture greater than 30 degrees, rotational deformity greater than 10 degrees and gross (>5mm) shortening of the metacarpal. Likewise the irreducible (can't get it aligned back up) or unstable fracture requires operative management. 

Metacarpal fractures in general can be treated with Kirschner wire (K wire), screws or intra-osseous wiring as well as the use of hand plates. More often than not, each choice is more dependent on surgeon preference than any particular benefit with the varying approaches. I think the concern is, protecting the hand in some way and pain management that does not require excessively numbing the area (fingers need to feel and work).  Let it be known, that if Murray plays and gets held up on a run or carrying the ball in it, other incoming players will target that hand with their helmet (yes, it is legal). I'm sure they will evaluate everything this week in practice, thus the optimism yet game time decision stance.

From what I've heard, this is likely what Murray is facing (it did require surgical intervention, so a displaced fracture not out of the question)

Example X Rays below-

Hand-Xray_zps513aa25b.jpg4th_MC_Fx_Lt_zps6a9c880a.jpg

Can you see the fracture on the pic on the right? (the reason 3 views are always needed, sometimes 1 or 2 of them don't show it, and Murray's may or may not look like this example, we don't know) This is a type of 4th metacarpal fracture of the left hand. Typical indications for surgery on them include open fractures, intra-articular fractures, angulation of the fracture greater than 30 degrees, rotational deformity greater than 10 degrees and gross (>5mm) shortening of the metacarpal. Likewise the irreducible (can't get it aligned back up) or unstable fracture requires operative management.

Metacarpal fractures in general can be treated with Kirschner wire (K wire), screws or intra-osseous wiring as well as the use of hand plates. More often than not, each choice is more dependent on surgeon preference than any particular benefit with the varying approaches. I think the concern is, protecting the hand in some way and pain management that does not require excessively numbing the area (fingers need to feel and work). Let it be know, that if Murray plays and gets held up on a run or carrying the ball in it, other incoming players will target that hand with their helmet (yes, it is legal). I'm sure they will evaluate everything this week in practice, thus the optimism yet game time decision stance.

Yeah I can see the break. I think mine was the third metacarpal on the left hand, but it wasn't as severe as that x-ray. There's far more displacement there, and likely far more pain.

You obviously know more about that kind of stuff than I do. But the pain wasn't a big factor for me. Everyone and every situation is different, obviously, but it seemed like the location of the break was pretty convenient. Being right handed, I could avoid using the broken hand, and even rotating my wrist or making a fist didn't hurt. Might be a more stationary bone, the third metacarpal as opposed to the fourth.

I have no problem with a team with a losing record getting into the playoffs.............now hosting a playoff game with a losing record is a different story.

I have a slight problem with it because when you look at a team like the Cowboys.  They can potentially end up around 10-6 and not make the playoffs.  Meanwhile a team with a 7-9 record is headed for the playoffs in the NFC South.  In all likelihood nothing will change because this type of thing just doesn't occur too much in terms of an entire division with no winning records.