Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why So Many Different Helmet Designs?

King Colt

Luck has a basic helmet while others look like a bike racers helmet and now some have what appears to be some kind of flap in the front center and that looks like something to absorb a direct helmet to helmet hit. I think Fleener wears that one. Anyone know the reason for the different styles and what they are for?

lucks helmet isn't basic. Drew brees helmet is basic.

they just accepted a bunch of different helmets that are supposed to protect and deflect hits in different ways. But the fact is they really don't do any better.

the league actually helped increase concussions when they narrowed shoulder pads that helped in absorbing impact towards the head at various angles.

new helmets don't make logos look good either

I'm not sure preference is allowed in the NFL but again it may be the case but with all the chatter about concussions I would think the most closely scrutinized piece of equipment would be the helmet.

You would think that but the players actually do get to select their own helmet style from among several that the NFL approves.

Now it's not like they can go on the internet and buy the helmet they like and have it painted with the team logo etc.  The NFL just has several styles they approve of and the players get to pick one.

Now as to how much difference the helmets do at preventing concussions is a completely different manner.  I would say if there is a difference between helmets it's probably minor.  I'm guessing most players select helmets based on either look or comfort.

You would think that but the players actually do get to select their own helmet style from among several that the NFL approves.

Now it's not like they can go on the internet and buy the helmet they like and have it painted with the team logo etc.  The NFL just has several styles they approve of and the players get to pick one.

Now as to how much difference the helmets do at preventing concussions is a completely different manner.  I would say if there is a difference between helmets it's probably minor.  I'm guessing most players select helmets based on either look or comfort.

Wes Welker being an exception, I agree.